What solvent will dissolve vaseline?

MattMunson

Master Member
Opportunities for wisecracks aside, I need a non aluminum corrosive liquid that will dissolve vaseline. Or at least let me clean it off.

Any suggestion??

OK here's a list of thing I use to degrease objects

Simple Green cleaner either straight or diluted

409 cleaner degreaser

Greased Lightning

Easy Off oven cleaner ** Caution with this one. Test on small area first**

Have you tried your local auto parts stores they might have a safe degreaser ?

My only concern is really that it might mess with the aluminum. my fall back plan was soap and water, but just in case there was some super goo that would do the job, i wanted to know.

But those are all great suggestions. I'll see what I can throw together.

Ok, now lets make with the wisecracks.

If your looking to clean bare aluminum, WD40 will do it without damaging or corroding the aluminum.
Oven Cleaners will also work but you can scar and discolor the metal.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MattMunson @ Dec 30 2006, 03:05 AM) [snapback]1386945[/snapback]</div>
Opportunities for wisecracks aside, I need a non aluminum corrosive liquid that will dissolve vaseline. Or at least let me clean it off.

Any suggestion??
[/b]

Munson, you can't expect to ask that question and not have a wisecrack made.... it's you who asked it after all. :lol

I won't make the first one but I have a couple in mind. I'll let someone else have the opportunity. ;)

aw Matt, bro, you know i can't help myself, so i will make the first wisecrack:

what dissolves vaseline???? Your boyfriend's tongue....

:lol :booty :booty :booty :lol

Marc

As long as there are no plastic bits on it , any mild petroleum distillate will do, mineral spirits and WD 40 are fine. Lacquer thinner will work but it's pretty "hot" it'll burn your hands, but will work as a final wipe down, immersing in lacquer is probably a bad idea, it may strip any protective layer from the AL, but a quick wipe down won't hurt.

Soap and water or any non petro-chem will take forever to use.

M

Weird as it sounds,I found using a automotive wax/grease remover sold by my local auto body supply shop works wonders.

My local auto body supply shop sells,a brand made byPPG products, a wax and grease remover called DX330,if thats still the same name they use.Its been a while since I bought a one gallon can.

Body men use it to wipe down paint jobs,cars,panels and even some plastics to remove grease buildup,tar,and etc from surfaces prior to prepping surfaces for paint,even adhesives.It will get just about anything greasy,dirty,slimey off a surface and isnt as corrosive as other chemicals.I even clean tools with it...doesnt burn the skin either.

Just a suggestion.
:)

I'm going to go with WD-40. I've got some on hand, and the eco soap at the shop failed pretty dismally.

thanks for all the help.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back