Bioshock Booker DeWitt Vest - NEED HELP!

Eveningarwen

Hey all! I'm being asked to make this vest but for the life of me I can't figure out what to call the detailing on his vest lapel. How do I get that trim to go around the lapel where there is the dark grey on either side of it? Is that a trim? Embroidery? I'm pretty sure the loops would be embroidery/top stitching but if anyone has the actual terms for this detail work on the vest so I can do some better research that would be greatly appreciated!

I'm doing so much research and I'm finding nothing that shows me how to do it. Is there any links that anyone has for contrast piping? My biggest issue is I'm only finding contrast piping that actually has a cord running through it or edges a garment and I need it to be flat like the stripes on a sailor collar.

Crazy how some things seem so common you'd assume there'd be more info on them out there or at least info that was easily found.

It looks so much like stitching on the box art and in game model:
Booker_DeWitt_Ingame_Model.jpg

yeah I was just going to say, satin stitching that whole thing would be a nightmare hahahhaha! But it could be done. Hmmmm.....but since it is almost more like raised stitching then piping wouldn't be to bad for the main part and stitching for the loop part

argghhh all the images are so different to. This guy seems to be leaning towards the artist interpretation and I'm wondering if I should steer him more towards the in game version. Would you say the vest in game is more of a twill? Because in the art pieces it is a herringbone pattern and usually wool is herringbone. Twill can be to but I'm having a hard time finding it in dark grey with the herringbone.

I will say that Booker is one of the hardest characters to do because of how every picture of him is different.
Even his features change from pictures to pictures.... in some his face looks wider with more of a cleft chin, and then in some pictures he has a skinnier longer face... It was difficult for me to figure everything out about what he looked like (I'm using in game pictures). I actually am going to replace the collar on my vest tonight.
Another weird thing is that no one can really figure out what color his vest is.... Is it grey? Dark green? no one really knows... It's kind of an "everyone has a different interpretation, and most likely everyone is right" kind of deal....

Yeah I kinda wanna ask the artists in this game, why they kept changing both his and Elizabeth's faces?

He looks almost totally different in the theatrical trailer as well. Definitely agree that couching down some small piping/rope would be so much easier!

Well it seems that the guy who was going to order this vest isn't following through but vest are pretty simple so I'll probably go ahead and still make it just to have. Maybe I'll make it an average size 40 chest and 35 waist that can be cinched down a bit smaller with a belt in the back and put it up for sale here. Maybe I'll make it for my husband just cuz hahaha! I have yet to play bioshock but I do like that outfit.

I feel like the first photo of him is just to rendered to be a lifelike version of him and not an actual game version of him so I'm not sure what people would prefer.....a plain grey wool vest with matching lapel and the piping and stitching or a herringbone wool with a satin or leather lapel. Hmmmmmmm.....

Maybe I'm just high or something, but I think there are different Bookers (cleft chin Booker, skinnier longer face Booker) in different dimensions, hence the difference in looks and clothing.

I feel like the first photo of him is just to rendered to be a lifelike version of him and not an actual game version of him so I'm not sure what people would prefer.....
I don't think so... I think it was probably just a different artist interpretation.... I know that I personally look very VERY similar to the in game version, so I really don't have a choice but to stick with that one, so that's the one I'm making my vest look like. People will really go for any interpretation of Booker's vest as long as it looks like one of the versions!

Maybe I'm just high or something, but I think there are different Bookers (cleft chin Booker, skinnier longer face Booker) in different dimensions, hence the difference in looks and clothing.
I actually really like that theory... Similar to why (SPOILER) the Elizabeth's all looked very different at the end.

Here is a link about cording (basically piping without the seam allowance). With a thin enough core it could be a similar look: Inspirational Details: Surface Cording | Coletterie

Booker's vest looks like a stylized version of the vintage western jackets. Looks like a combination of piping/cording and chain stitch embroidery.

Embroidered Western Jacket Black with Multi Color by retromomo

This one has similar loopy doos ..
Rockmount Ranch Wear Men's Vintage Western Jacket: Gabadine Embroidered Jacket Black S-2XL

and this one is described as "three dimensional piping and white embroidered designs"
1950's Rocking gabardine western jacket with embroidery HBC XL - $398.00 : Wear It Again Sam Vintage, The Best In Vintage Apparel for Men and Women

This is probably not the best idea, but what I did for my vest was actually use a really thin strand off puff paint for the "embroidery". If you examine it up close, it may not be very accurate to the time period, but believe it or not it looks EXTREMELY close to the in-games design.... especially in pictures!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back