Robb Stark from Game of Thrones - Fantasy Armor Upgrade

KC Mason

Greetings, all! This is my first costume post here on the RPF. I recently attended the Kansas City Planet Comicon, at which I'm sure I met some of you out there! If you just want to see pictures of the costume, scroll down past the text wall. I want to make this post as complete as possible without going into the specifics of building it. However, I will list the materials used and where I found them, followed by me in the complete suit. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy!

Armor:
  • 1/2 inch Foam (hardware store)
  • Craft foam (craft store)
  • Plaster cloth (craft store)

Fabrics:
  • Gold metallic with sequins (fabric store)
  • Faux wolf fur (fabric store)
  • White satin cape (fabric store)

Decorations:
  • Gold chain necklace(s) (craft store)
  • Gold icicle pendants (craft store)
  • Helm, Chest and Sword pendants (craft store)

Methods of Attachment:
  • Hot glue - high heat (craft store),
  • 1 1/2 in. to 2 in. brads (office supplies store)
  • Velcro - preferably high strength (craft, hardware, walmart stores)
  • Backpack buckles (craft, camping, hardware stores)
  • Straps - some elastic, some not (craft, fabric stores)

Inspiration:
Game of Thrones has become one of my favorite fantasy series over the last couple of years, and for those of you who watch the show, you know why! I have always loved games involving plated armor, and many of you might recognize my armor as something that looks like its out of a game. You wouldn't be incorrect, as I used World of Warcraft armor models as inspiration.

Time:
I will be better on my next costume on documenting everything. This was my first foam costume, so I stumbled around in the dark for a while. I would estimate I spent 80+ hours crafting this costume.

Cost:
Again, didn't fully document these specifics. I would estimate $300 minimum, but no more than $500. Big chunks of these costs included my first time purchase of essential tools, like a heat gun, glue gun, foam cutting knife, dremmel rotary tool, etc.

Most Proud Of:
Ha! Well I'm glad it didn't fall apart once while I was wearing it out. I wore this costume several times in the Fall of 2012, and it has survived into this year. The piece I always love making is the weapon. I was also proud of the overall appearance and presence the costume has when its on and in action.

Tips:
The 1/2 inch thick foam is very forgiving and surprising durable. Before you make your "final" pieces, play around with attachment methods on scraps. Glue some scrap pieces together and then rip them apart. Get to know the materials you're working with well and you will be able to push them farther. Feel free to message me about specifics not covered here. Good luck!

Last edited:
Here are the photos from the 2013 Kansas City Planet Comicon! Forgive me, I know the quality of some of them may be poor. If you were one of the people who posted a photo of me on Facebook, thanks!

Muttmo: Awesome! Were you in costume there as well? Anything I would recognize? Thanks for your compliment.

justover6: Hah well thank you very much, that's kind of you. I recommend you watch the show, it's a fantastic world with tons of stuff going on. This armor you won't see in the show because I built it from a World of Warcraft model, but there is still some great armor in the show.

Amazing looking suit of armor and a nice write-up. Thanks for posting the details of construction and inspraration.

Awesome job! Is this armour actually in Game of Thrones? I Saw a Similiar set of Armour at London MCM May 2013. Also, what did you use for that sparkly shirt underneath?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back