Master Chief H4 armor and undersuit

Re: Halo costume

Fast update. I've applied three layers of bondo on the knee pads and the cod, sanded, primed, and painted with a first coat of green. I also did some experiment with shadow and drybrush (all failed, by the way). There is still some imperfection....and the right pad fall just after I've painted it making some scratch and damage (grrrr)...but, hey, that's my first work and I'm proud of it
I'm looking all your painted works to get ideas to make the paint in my armor looking real...

Cod.jpgKnee_pads.jpg

Biceps + Shoulders ready for primer after three layers of bondo plus a fourth application on the remaining imperfections (together with some putty)

Shoulders_bondo.jpg

Time for update.

This is the status of the helmet:

Novembre_92_zpsbfee8e68.jpg

This is the butt piece after 3 layers of bondo and one of putty where needed (I also did some hole for future battle damage)

Novembre_103_zpsa2020e66.jpg

And the butt with the primer. No green paint yet since there are several details I want to add...

Novembre_101_zps1f1e3f06.jpg

Time for updates: The boots are hardened and (almost) ready for bondo; the helmet is....still work in progress...

17Novembre (3).JPG17Novembre (4).JPG17Novembre (5).JPG17Novembre (6).JPG

id suggest foam, its much simpler and quicker compared to the days of cutting and folding paper.
ive done several paper builds and while the results can be amazing, you can get the same results with foam and save yourself a headache.

- - - Updated - - -

it is lookin good though, keep it up

Thanks Jdanger....well...I've realized that I could have used foam with similar results when the armor was half done...well...for the next costum ;)

Good job so far. Apologize for jumping in late. I personally prefer foam. I did four sets of costumes using traditional paper/fiberglass method. A pain in the butt. Plus after all said and done, mobility in the costume is very limited.

For the last two years I've switched to EVA foam. The process is twice faster and I can also get the same details, if not better than the traditional method.

Here is a video of my kids in this year costumes. The helmet is done using traditional method. The rest of the suits are entirely foam. The best part of the entitre process is getting recognition by VSAUCE2 YouTube Channel and the Judges here for best costumes.

If in doubt, you should check out the guys from Stony Props. Almost all their costumes now are in EVA foam.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks Spiderman...it is always great to be appreciated by superheroes ;)

Thanks Coolc....the armors of your kids are impressive, mainly the markVII or VIi (I had a long discussion about how call this mark). I'm pretty sure that your kids are proud of the skills of their daddy! Do you have a thread or a detailed tutorial with the step-by-step building process?

Thanks Coolc....the armors of your kids are impressive, mainly the markVII or VIi (I had a long discussion about how call this mark). I'm pretty sure that your kids are proud of the skills of their daddy! Do you have a thread or a detailed tutorial with the step-by-step building process?

I had a thread to track progress but lack of time and laziness left the thread untouched. I quit 405th for the same reason. Some of the built progress is in my YouTube channel.

OK....this is unfortunate... I could have used most of your work as template (trying to tempting you to post your work ;) )

Good efforts here. I am starting to build a new set of armor for my son, but I'm going foam because he's only 6 and it won't fit long enough to justify pep/bondo. For my armor, though, I might pep it out.

I wanted to point out that the 405th IS open. Come on over. :) Also, check YouTube for Carpathia's Master Chief build. It's inspiring.

Update:
I've applied the first two coats of resin in the outside of the helmet....and luckily there are no bumps..

Helmet_Firstcoatsofresin.jpg

Next update: rondo in the inside and the shins completed (they're driving me crazy...)

I've applied a layer of fiberglass cloth inside the helmet:

Helmet_December28.jpg

...and....who said that it is not possible to make the resin cure at sub-zero (celsius) degrees? ;)

Dicembre28 (2).JPG

The paper model of the first forearm is completed...but it looks too small to me...:(

Yes I've heard that the H4 armor is going to look much smaller than the H3 armor. Check out Cereal Killer on youtube. He has a great scaling video up and he mentions that the elbow piece is actually suppose to go about and inch past. So say your wrist to elbow is 12 inches, you would add an inch to it for the elbow piece.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back