Master Chief H4 armor and undersuit

Re: Halo costume

For what I saw, The H4 is more detailed and I'd like to to this one, exept for the biceps...but I'll decide later, I would like to avoid to mix the models too much...I'm working on the right biceps at the moment.

just a question...once the model is hardened with the resin and fiberglass, I should use the bondo....what is that necessary? For the painting? the thickness of the armor?

Sorry for not posting earlier, ten hour work day :wacko the bondo is mostly used for detail, you can bulk out certain areas and give the armor a lot more 'composite armor' look to the pieces. I would suggest you do, but it's up to you, a coat or two of primer should make things alright but you should probably sand down the resin (to take out and drips collections).

ALSO... I would advice fiberglass cloth not mat. Mat tends to get everywhere and can be hard to use, just brush a little resin on the piece (inside) and then lay the cut pieces of cloth over it and then apply a full layer of resin over that and the piece is as hard as a rock!

-The Armorer

For the armorer: got it! resin+fiber glass cloth, then bondo, then I'll loose my fingers to sand, and then painting! I'll paint a "special thank to the Armorer" somewhere in the armor ;)

For Wh1te ghost: thanks a lot!

Be sure that you only glass the inside, if you glass the outside, you are going to lose all of your detail :( so inside only and it will work fine, one layer of resin will work for the outside, but two is fine as well.

And... the tank would be flattering :)

-The Armorer

Everyone says you lose detail with foam...I disagree. With a little patience and ingenuity you can achieve A LOT with foam. Its definitely a personal preference thing. You can knock out a piece from sheet to paint with foam in a day, and with the right technique, like layering thin sheets of foam over the base foam, you can accomplish very nice detail. Either way, your stuff is looking good. Check out my foam threads if you want to give it a go. Good luck with the rest of your build.

Besides, I kind have the impression that with paper you do a lot of details that it is easy to loose when you apply the bondo...no?
So, in one day you can obtain a piece ready to be painted? that's fast.....

yeah, you can. I actually switched to foam out of necessity...I live in a close quarters apartment complex, people complained about the fumes from my patio and the noise from my dremel and sanders. Don't need any of that with foam...

nope...no bondo, no sanding. At least I don't...I'm on a deadline, so foam is working out great for me.
Also, a finished pep torso can weigh in excess of 7-8 lbs (or more...depends on how you do it)...my foam torso can't weigh more than 1-1.5 lbs...so weight is also a big factor...And then there's cost...foam building is WAY cheaper...
it does take some practice, but its pretty fun once you get the hang of it. There are some GREAT pepakura armors out there, and some of these guys are really awesome with it...but they didn't get that way over night.

good to know....since I've already started and bought most of the stuff I'll need, I'll stick with paper for this model, but I'll see in future...

Paper model of the arms completed (The helmet is in plastic...I bought it for Halloween...)

Attachments

• 27_Maggio (4).JPG
    27_Maggio (4).JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 297
  • 27_Maggio (7).JPG
    27_Maggio (7).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 288
  • 27_Maggio (8).JPG
    27_Maggio (8).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 234
  • 27_Maggio (9).JPG
    27_Maggio (9).JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 263

Nice. Foam does look nice when done right as chef has said. I prefer resin/bondo just for the paint side of things. Helmets in foam though don't look the best. My opinion though.

I can email you the belt/cod file tomorrow if you want? Not at home right now or would do it now.

Awesome! Got to love doing things twice with pep lol. I've put I don't know how off scaled models in the trash! Lol

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back