Will 3D printers kill model manufacturers?

NCC1968

Seems that if one were able to get all the proper dimensions then it would be easy to make kits.

This would be illigal, but that doesn't stop everyone......

.....discuss.

Any new technology that comes out greatly improves things and opens up doors for new things......on the other hand there's always the few that will corrupt and misuse it. I can't think of one thing that hasn't been misused. Thats the price of newer and better technologies and nothing will ever stop or prevent it completely. I honestly doubt kit manufacturers will be killed...they'll just adapt to newer tech. I also feel that you still need a decent working background in model making and engineering to make workable things like how parts will go together logically. Just because you can make some parts that fit together doesn't mean they will fit together in a logical sense.

I've been looking at 3d printers from a technical point of view and the technology just isn't good enough yet to make good models. There is also the fact that 3d prints are expensive. The fact is that for the people who buy scale models, the fun is in building them. When I buy a kit, I like to have good fit and finish, good surface finish and crisp detail. You wont get that from a 3D printer, at least not now. In any case there are recasters out there, especially for resin kits. If you are smart, you pretty quickly figure out that the quality suffers. The people who recast don't tend to make sure that the mold they make are as goos as they could be and that causes problems. IN my experience a bad copy isn't worth the time unless you have no alternative. I've spent far more work on some recast kits than the subject deserved simply because I knew that the original kit was unavailable in the time I had available,(this was a NYC subway car model for a friend as a Christmas present). That bad kit absorbed 200 hours or so just in cleanup and I was never happy with the detail when it was done. Scanning a model and making a print is never going to be as good as somebody who does the research creates a careful drawing or solid model and buld his masters from that. 3D printing isn't going to change that.

I could actually see model companies embracing the tech and using it instead of injection molding as it'll use less material.

my old man is a patent attorney, asked about the time lines with 3d printer patents, they have been around for a long time now, no real change in the modeling world. he did mention that with in the next few years WE will be having the ability to print electronic circuits from our home printers, no need for a special one. dont know about you guys, that sounds fraking awesome!!!

edited in- sorry forgot to throw this in, first patent registered for a device to print with electronics in a three dimensional form--- 1976, patent came from the DOD (DARPA anyone)

Once the print quality gets to a point where the finishes and details are on par with existing models, it could open up a new world for both sides of the hobby. Creators wouldn't have to front large expensive molding operations for a model they aren't sure with be popular, smaller niche properties could be easily delved into and designs could constantly evolve based on customer feedback. Customers could have more options available to them, lower costs and with the ease new products could be brought to market, when compared to traditional model kit business practices, both sides could walk away winners.

......he did mention that with in the next few years WE will be having the ability to print electronic circuits from our home printers, no need for a special one. dont know about you guys, that sounds fraking awesome!!!

That will be awesome................then they will soon print themselves :wacko

:lol

Not in their current state, but you'll likely see two things:
- prototyping is getting far easier
- specialized products like pre-colored customized heads for action figures.

When the materials improve the yes I believe it'll make more sense to just order what you want. Imagine Shapeways with better materials, larger, etc.

But that's a passive way to get a mass market product out to people who don't know about such a service. I believe it'll take more changes in methods and delivery before traditional models, replicas, and toys go away completely

I could actually see model companies embracing the tech and using it instead of injection molding as it'll use less material.

One thing that impressed me when I was working in injection molding is just how much material gets recycled back into the process. Providing that the material hasn't been contaminated with dirt or plastic of a different color, back in it went.

Most all of the 'waste' came from purging the plastic out of the machines when changing to a job of a different color, so I suppose that could be saved.

I would say unlikely for two very huge reasons:

First: CAD expertise. If you don't know CAD (or other 3D mesh program) then you are going to have a hard time making the model unless someone has shared their work.

Also time. 3D is a slow process. I expect it will get faster over time but no where near as fast and mass producible as injection molding.

What will kill the model industry will be what kills any industry: shifting consumer trends and no longer having a market interested in what they offer.

I doubt it will. Printed parts currently can't compare to model kit parts in terms of surface smoothness and detail. It complements it because now you have a choice to design your own if there aren't any kits of it available. But model kits in nice shiny parts, packages and sprues should remain attractive to scale modelers.

That already happened when video games hit the market back in the '80's. I remember a ton of discussions in hobby stores about model companies going out of businsess and lots of hobby stores closed or got into new lines of stuff. I actually think that 3d printing and the making phenomina will help model building and hobbies in general by bringing back the next generation who haven't had the experience of actually making real stuff.
I would say unlikely for two very huge reasons:

First: CAD expertise. If you don't know CAD (or other 3D mesh program) then you are going to have a hard time making the model unless someone has shared their work.

Also time. 3D is a slow process. I expect it will get faster over time but no where near as fast and mass producible as injection molding.

What will kill the model industry will be what kills any industry: shifting consumer trends and no longer having a market interested in what they offer.

I would say unlikely for two very huge reasons: First: CAD expertise. If you don't know CAD (or other 3D mesh program) then you are going to have a hard time making the model unless someone has shared their work.

Valid points but the same can be said about the current model industry. Instead of CAD (which is only one of a myriad of different programs one can use to make models for printing) the same argument could be made that unless you are an amazing sculptor with a lot of up front cash to cast your designs or access to a factory to injection mold them for you, you are going to have a hard time making the model available to the public. Speed is much quicker in a factory but in no way takes on account the time it takes to make the molds or to tool the factory for each run or the logistics of getting your product into boxes and to market in shops around the world

The truth is that 3d modeling is already entering into modeling world. Head on over to Shapeways and look at the It’s Arrived! section of their forum 3 of the 10 most recent threads are models, from Lego cars to model railroad parts.

Could a kit be scanned and then printed?

I've never used these devices and have not even studied them yet.........so curious.

I have no plans to make illegal kits, but simply like to learn new things.....and maybe find a use someday.

Could a kit be scanned and then printed?

I've never used these devices and have not even studied them yet.........so curious.

I have no plans to make illegal kits, but simply like to learn new things.....and maybe find a use someday.

Yes and no. there is software out there that with the a series of image can recreate a real world object in 3d form and in theory allow you to print it. Why is 'in theory' underlined? Because right now that process is so deeply intricate that it would be easier for someone just to model the original item from scratch, making the following print no longer a 'recast'. On the other hand one of the newer trends just starting to pop up is people having replacement pieces for a variety items printed as cheaper, easier to find, stronger alternatives to 'real' parts. As 3d printing expands we may see enterprising individuals recreating and printing commonly lost or broken pieces for popular model kits or even creating all new add-ons to existing kits to make them even better*.

*It's already happened. Check out the toys section at Shapeway for all the Transformer/Gundam replacement parts.).

Well depends... I have a 3D printer, albeit a cheap one.

If you're making a prop from a game and you could somehow extract the 3d model and convert it to STL format then it would be as easy as press print. That or send the file to a company like ponoko or shapeways and have them print it on their quarter million dollar machines.

To say that the quality is not good enough yet simply isn't true. My cheapo printer, prints reliably down to 0.2mm (200 microns). The layers are smaller than the ridges forming my fingerprints. Commercial printers can do even lower and you wouldn't be able to see the difference.

I don't think 3D printing will replace injection moulding any time soon. Printing takes time no matter which kind of printer you're using. From any builders point of view slushing in hardening material is still way faster than printing it.

I must admit though I've asked myself several times why I didn't just print this and that. I have no answer, I guess I just like to do stuff with my hands.

3D printing will not replace model companies for a couple of reasons - not the least of which is TIME. I would love to be a 3D modeling guru, and thus be able to print my own created parts. But the simple fact of life is I need to eat, pay my mortgage, taxes, etc. etc. I don't have the time it takes to get proficient enough with the tech to do it... Hell I barely have time to complete kits.

I suspect that I'm not alone. Call me lazy if you like, BUT I doubt I'm alone and in fact am probably in the serious majority of folks. the time and effort that it takes to research and print your own "kits" even if you assume somebody did all of the 3D design work for you is a TON.

Maybe in 100 years when this tech is old - school and people learn how to use it as children and there are libraries of 3D models neatly sorted and indexed it MIGHT be a viable thing. but I seriously doubt any of us will see it.

As cool as it would be :cheers(y)cool

What I can see is 3D printing making THIS side of the hobby a LOT more prolific. Hard to find/scratch parts can be modeled and made available MUCH easier then ever before opening the door to a TON of subjects that would be ridiculously hard in the past.

I think we've already seen that. I remember when we'd all talk and research a subject for a couple of years before we had sub assemblies of items that were "close"... How long until we had a near perfect r2 strip from the time a handful of people started researching the x-wings??? A friggin' long time I can tell you. newcomers to this hobby often don't realize how it used to be... I know I'm sounding like the guy who walked to school barefoot in 2 feet of snow both ways...

Anyway I think it makes OUR hobby much better/easier but replacing the traditional model kit - not for a very long time.

Jedi Dade

Last edited:
Maybe in 100 years when this tech is old - school and people learn how to use it as children and there are libraries of 3D models neatly sorted and indexed it MIGHT be a viable thing. but I seriously doubt any of us will see it.

Yes... if only such a thing existed...

Seriously though, will we all have printers in our basements printing out model kits or any other object like ST's replicators? No, but most likely we will see the large companies continuing churning out models the way they have. Where 3d printers' effects will be seen is in the small scale producers of garage kits and out of print kits. The threshold will be lowered with 3d printers and a whole new generation of designers will enter the field with 3rd party companies doing all the printing and distributing for the artist who create the items. Old school small scale producers may see the defining feature of their work, the ability to offer something the big guys don't or won't, disappear in a sea of unique and easily available prints. Out of print kits could see a renaissance with a range of resurrections awaiting them from lovingly recreated prints of the original kits right down to sprues and bubbles to whole new takes on the original subject matter.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back