Custom doll costume

NCC1968

Not sure where this would go.....sure a Mod will move it if need be.

The white robe worn by the Ilia probe in ST:TMP is iconic, but I wanted a Class A to go with my actual costume.

The MEGO 12" Ilia is was not a totally new product for MEGO.
MEGO was already producing Charlie's Angels toys and decided that the way to go for Ilia would be to use a body they had and sculpt a new head
If you uncloth Ilia you will find she is dated 1975

ilia1975_zpsac007aeb.jpg

This predates the decision to make a Trek movie. The tv show was going to be brought back and be called Phase II. They decided to make a movie after seeing what Star Wars did. So we lost 5yrs of tv for one movie......not a good trade if you ask me.

The robe was chosen for the doll, but there are some mistakes.
-The doll has no red mark on the neck - there is an orange necklace though
-The shoes are white instead of clear
-A phaser was included.....makes no sense
....and few other things.

On the back of the box the Class A uniform is shown - you will notice the picture is backwards.......printing error.

SO

I figured if Spock can wear a Class A then so can Ilia - time to mod.

I stripped down Ilia and Spock to see if it would work.
I figured I could do it, but the Spock doll is bigger - Nimoy wished he was built like that ......and I'd have no shoes. I figured I could make it fit and the lack of shoes would not be noticed do to the box design.

megomods_zps622f5db1.jpg

megospockA_zps602dabe7.jpg

Iliamegomodhead.jpg

I reduced the rank by removing a braid on the sleeves. I also removed the dark area at the top and also the collar. These were sewn so I cut the threads with a razor and they came right off. I also painted the belt to be light enough to blend in. I then had to change the division assigned to by making the red field of the patch yellow. The final detail was to take a very fine marker and just connect the holes from the cut thread together and it gave the proper look to the top area.

I pulled the extra to the rear and glued it all down. The retainer for holding it in the box also fits there.

IMM1.jpg

IMM3.jpg

IMM2.jpg

All boxed up it pretty much looks like it was made that way.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back