Authenticating autographs? Is someone here qualified?

TxBabyHuey

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am super stoked to be getting Art's Donnie Darko mask. This movie is really important to me although I don't like the replicas I see on ebay and such, I knew this was the ultimate prop for this movie.

So I bought this poster to display with it, I know I am taking a gamble on this. It says it comes with a COA and the guy is noted for selling signed posters. He doesn't have negative feedback, so it seemed like a worthy shot for me.

Here is the link to the auction. When I get the poster I will examine it further just to make sure it's not a ghost signature thing.

Is there someone that can just look at this, or me possibly send it to them to check the authenticity?

Donnie Darko Cast Signed Poster | eBay

And this is just going to end up being my thread for the mask and display anyway. I think I am going to build a custom case with some fun references in it.

With regard to signed items. If you did not see it signed, you'll never really know. COA's are not worth the paper they are written on. You can pay an authenticity service to tell you what you want to hear, but there never is any guarantee; it's just a best guess. I was once very active in the music memorabilia market; even worked for Hard Rock and you would not believe the lengths people would go to or the technology afforded to them to fake a given signature. Authenticity services simply compare a given signature to a known 'in person' signature and then give you an opinion based on their observations. I suggest saving yourself a buck and doing the same thing. :thumbsup

-Rylo

I am super stoked to be getting Art's Donnie Darko mask. This movie is really important to me although I don't like the replicas I see on ebay and such, I knew this was the ultimate prop for this movie.

So I bought this poster to display with it, I know I am taking a gamble on this. It says it comes with a COA and the guy is noted for selling signed posters. He doesn't have negative feedback, so it seemed like a worthy shot for me.

Here is the link to the auction. When I get the poster I will examine it further just to make sure it's not a ghost signature thing.

Is there someone that can just look at this, or me possibly send it to them to check the authenticity?

Donnie Darko Cast Signed Poster | eBay

And this is just going to end up being my thread for the mask and display anyway. I think I am going to build a custom case with some fun references in it.

With regard to signed items. If you did not see it signed, you'll never really know. COA's are not worth the paper they are written on. You can pay an authenticity service to tell you what you want to hear, but there never is any guarantee; it's just a best guess. I was once very active in the music memorabilia market; even worked for Hard Rock and you would not believe the lengths people would go to or the technology afforded to them to fake a given signature. Authenticity services simply compare a given signature to a known 'in person' signature and then give you an opinion based on their observations. I suggest saving yourself a buck and doing the same thing. :thumbsup

-Rylo

Yeah I at least know that when someone signs the beginning of the stroke should be thinner and gradually get bigger and so on. I just know I need to find one of each signature and look at it. I didn't know if there is someone here or there that is trusted above all others.

New autopens fake that, too!

Now, it's true some people do have an eye for fakes, but I do not know of anyone here who is considered an 'expert' for lack of a better word. They'd still be guessing 'whomever' it was.

Put up a scan of the sig. and I'm sure a number of people will tell you what they think. A quick glance at the poster you mentioned sends up a couple flags for me. The signatures are all the same size and evenly spaced.

-Rylo

Yeah I at least know that when someone signs the beginning of the stroke should be thinner and gradually get bigger and so on. I just know I need to find one of each signature and look at it. I didn't know if there is someone here or there that is trusted above all others.

You have to worry about it being a printed signature too. COA even if its legit can't you jus switch the item out for one just like it? Then its defeated unless it has a big picture of the item signed on it with close up of the signature. Even then you can't tell its a photocopy so easily. Picture of it being signed especiallly if i a weird item does help a lot.
Signed photo with picture of being signed easy enough to get the same photo again and fake. A picture of a celebrity signing a dirty frisbee now that item for sale at least they did some research have to get same frisbee things to line up on it and all.

The problem with this Is if you did not see it, You may never know… I just bought a Signed Script from a guy who had a mouth load of info and did not seem to have any Red Flags, And it still did not make me feel %100.

The main postive feeling I have is that Why would someone fake it ??

Especially when the 3 actors who signed it, are still alive and are not very costly to find other signed pictures.

Knowing that if the script is Authentic, It would be worth a descent $300

I have confidence in it, But still worry, because as you know in this hobby you can get burned all the time

Luckly I am attending a convention soon, that will have more than 100 celebrities that I can have stuff signed in person, so I will for sure not get burned

The only Authentic Autographs I have for certain would be a signed Jeff Gordon Axalta Hat, And Signed Photo, which I got in person from him

Funny story. A friend who shares my impish humor gave me a baseball in a very expensive acrylic display case signed by Bart Star (GB Packers QB); fake of course.
It sits in a prominent spot on my desk so that when people ask about it I say "It is my most expensive collectible". When they say Bart Star played FB, so why would he sign a baseball; I reply; "That's why it was so expensive..." Lots of people have signed footballs;)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back