Hi. My name is Frank

Sidekick

Hey all. I have been reading these forums for about a month now and finally decided to create myself an account. Being a life long Batman fan it stands to reason that my first build must be a Batsuit.

I love all the batsuits. To me Michael Keaton was the most important actor in the Batman franchise. He just brought so much life and credibility to the series. Unfortunately the suit, while amazing looking, would probably kill you due to a heat stroke or something, hehe.

I think that I am going to attempt a Dark Knight suit as it seems like the most practicle of the bunch. I've been reading up about both Latex/Urethane casting and fibreglass moulding methods. The one that appeals to be is the fibreglass route.

Now having not done any building before now I am 100% sure about which tools I will need to get started.

1. Dremel (no brainer really). Not sure which attachments are most crucial
2. Respirator (Also no brainer). Not sure which kind to get, or if there are much a difference between the pricer and more economical versions.
3. Resin
4. Bodyfiller
5. Needle files
6. Sandpaper
7. Plasticoat (Will this give the finished product a plastic/satin look?)
8. Clear coat

I am looking at the pepakura method for the armor parts. Can someone please provide some advice about what other tools / materials I may need to finish off my armor parts. I am trying to keep the project as economical as possible.

Going to be a slow build as it is my first, and there will be much learning to be done. :D

Hi welcome
If I was you take it one step at a time instead of spending all your money at once because I found out the hard way it gets expansive to get eavrything at once start with some card stock a knife and a hot glue gun because you may need to scaleing you armor to your self first and that will take more then a few tries for a noob lol happened to me ! Once you get that right then go to the store and get your resin and fiberglass and bondo I use bondo brand it is cheap and works well I don't know where you are located but in Canada we can get it all at auto body suppliers or Canadian tire stores
Good luck on your build also check out stealths tuts thay are a big help

It actually Stealth's tuts that inspired me. You have a good point about starting small. Considering how many hours a week I have to work, my build is sure to be a pretty slow process (Which is probably also good and I will need to drop a few kilos and bulk up a bit to do Batman justice).

Does one need a special type of printer for cardstock print outs?

Aha great thanks. Going to buy myself a cheap laser printer then. $70 one should do the job. Getting my paper at the end of the month. Going to work on unfolding my pepakura the way that I want it. Thanks for the tips!

It doesn't hurt to get a printer with an envelope setting (included with a lot) on it, the adjustment helped a couple of my printers a lot to feed #110 cardstock through them. Also, a no brainer, but check your printer specs and cartridge costs before buying if you're using this printer mainly for Pepakura. A lot of printers (one of my HPs for example) will use your color cartridge even when only printing black (greyscale), and won't print at all if either cartridge is low. I print most of my pepakuras on a $10 thrift store printer that I can get super cheap cartridges for off Ebay. $4 ink cartridges in that thing beat the heck out of the $50 packages that my good printer uses. :thumbsup

Good luck with building!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back