Hit-Girl (Kick-Ass)

What an amazing job! I am currently working on putting together a Hit Girl cosplay...and like you, I am having the most trouble with the body suit. Could you please send me the link to where you purchased it from as well? It looks exactly like one I almost bought online from multiple sellers, but the sites had poor reviews, and I wasn't sure if they were just using some stock photo or if that's what the body suit actually looked like (you can never tell). It's exactly what I'm looking for! Great job! :)

jackwabbit: Thank you so much for the compliments!! Can't take credit for the Easter egg grenade idea: I actually got it from a member on here! And it works really well!

awesome job!

Thank you so much!!

So cool, nice work. It's great knowing you've done a good job and can now relish the showing it off aspect.

Thank you!! That's a fantastic way to put it, I finally feel like I can be at that point! It feels like it took so long to get there! But it's all improvements from here on, and I couldn't be more thrilled about that!

What an amazing job! I am currently working on putting together a Hit Girl cosplay...and like you, I am having the most trouble with the body suit. Could you please send me the link to where you purchased it from as well? It looks exactly like one I almost bought online from multiple sellers, but the sites had poor reviews, and I wasn't sure if they were just using some stock photo or if that's what the body suit actually looked like (you can never tell). It's exactly what I'm looking for! Great job! :)

Thank you so much!! The body suit is a real pain in the ass for sure. I know exactly what you mean: with these cosplays sites do you truly get what you see in the photos? What will the quality be like? Will it fit right? Will the materials used be cheap-looking? I was really nervous ordering it, but things worked out great! One flaw with the suit is that it doesn't have the zippers on the arms and pants like it should. The zippers on the costume make sure the fit is tight at the wrists and leg openings so the gloves and boots fit on properly without the terrible bunching effect. It does bother me a bit that the pants bunch up fairly bad because of this. So just a warning!

jackwabbit: Thank you so much for the compliments!! Can't take credit for the Easter egg grenade idea: I actually got it from a member on here! And it works really well!

Thank you so much!!

Thank you!! That's a fantastic way to put it, I finally feel like I can be at that point! It feels like it took so long to get there! But it's all improvements from here on, and I couldn't be more thrilled about that!

Thank you so much!! The body suit is a real pain in the ass for sure. I know exactly what you mean: with these cosplays sites do you truly get what you see in the photos? What will the quality be like? Will it fit right? Will the materials used be cheap-looking? I was really nervous ordering it, but things worked out great! One flaw with the suit is that it doesn't have the zippers on the arms and pants like it should. The zippers on the costume make sure the fit is tight at the wrists and leg openings so the gloves and boots fit on properly without the terrible bunching effect. It does bother me a bit that the pants bunch up fairly bad because of this. So just a warning!

You are quite welcome. And I'm so with you. Improving always. I'd like to update my suit and then add the suspenders, holsters, etc, once I buy them all over time. And make an Easter egg grenade, of course! No time for that before Dragon*Con, but maybe next time I take Hit-Girl out, she'll be more complete. Can you send the link for your suit source?

And could add the zippers? Or custom fit it to your ankles/wrists? Just pin it in while it's on and then sew it (leaving enough room to get your hands and feet out, obviously) in place or perhaps use a closure - if not a zipper, I bet velcro would work great. Just slit the wrist/ankle and then sew velcro on the inside of the flap you made and the outside of the sleeve/leg opposite it? Then you could cinch it up after you put it on? Or is the material too unforgiving for that? I know cutting some of these suits is the last think one would want to do, but if the material will allow it, I bet you can fix that bunching problem. Even elastic might help? Probably not as much as cutting out a small wedge, though? Hm...must think on it a bit, but I bet you can do it!

I'll be honest, I'm terrified to even think about doing any sort of cutting on this fabric. What I do now is wrap self-sticking velcro around my wrists and ankles.
The material is really odd: if you cut it you can definitely run the risk of damaging the fabric if not done properly. It's entirely possible for the purple to peel off the rest of the fabric (a small spot has already started on the bottom of my pants). So if it gets scratched, you'll be screwed. That's what I really don't like about it. Talk about nerve-wracking! I'm not thinking this is screen accurate fabric like I had originally hoped: they would have needed to use something much more durable to hold up during filming. This is definitely some mystery fabric, but I suppose it's currently the closest thing out there anybody's ever found.

ANYWAYS!

Here's some not-so-great-quality photos from my Kick-Ass 2 theater day courtesy of my phone!

Of course Hit-Girl has purple nails!
1017425_10200547896200116_1659094379_n_zpsafcbac13.jpg

I really don't know what I'm doing here, but I was anxious to get going!
1186105_10200547895800106_315995644_n_zpsc26203e5.jpg

Ready to go kick some ass!
999728_10200547895360095_1096386279_n_zpsf0a624b3.jpg

So bummed about the bad lighting here! But I do have some sweet demonic eyes.
995792_10200547891880008_1732159184_n_zps9d174e0a.jpg

Gotta have the awkward selfie in there.
1208772_10200547889279943_42136800_n_zpse17c06f9.jpg

Embracing the giant KA2 poster I wanted to take home with me.
1173715_10200547890519974_1726633117_n_zps10d4ef8a.jpg

Ready to go watch it again!
998459_10200547885839857_2035782866_n_zpseba8f5c2.jpg

Last edited:
I'll be honest, I'm terrified to even think about doing any sort of cutting on this fabric. What I do now is wrap self-sticking velcro around my wrists and ankles.
The material is really odd: if you cut it you can definitely run the risk of damaging the fabric if not done properly. It's entirely possible for the purple to peel off the rest of the fabric (a small spot has already started on the bottom of my pants). So if it gets scratched, you'll be screwed. That's what I really don't like about it. Talk about nerve-wracking! I'm not thinking this is screen accurate fabric like I had originally hoped: they would have needed to use something much more durable to hold up during filming. This is definitely some mystery fabric, but I suppose it's currently the closest thing out there anybody's ever found.

I thought that might be the case. That's exactly how the fabric of my suit was. The purple part slowly started to pull away from the underlying part, and eventually, it tore away entirely along a few seams. So, I ripped it all off and dyed the underlying material. It actually looks better this way and is much cooler, but I lost the bit of shine the pleather part had. Bummer that your suit is trying to do the same thing. DON'T CUT IT! Sounds like you've found the best solution you can.

I read that Chloe's suit tore three times during filming and was very uncomfortable, but I still suspect it was a type of leather, rather than pleather.

Still, yours looks great. Where did you get it? Wonder if they'd have my size? (I'm a fair bit taller than you, I think...)

Oh, and I have a KA2 poster signed by John Romita, Jr. Very cool story there, but suffice to say it was a charity thing and he asked me for MY autograph, too! Crazy, fun day that was!

HyperShadow, thank you sooo much for letting me know where to get the body suit! :) My daughter was ecstatic when she opened it for her birthday :D! It's really going to add to the fan films we're currently making ;). I'll be posting a new thread in the OT with all her Hit-Girl B-day haul. Thanks again, you ROCK! (y)cool

HyperShadow, thank you sooo much for letting me know where to get the body suit! :) My daughter was ecstatic when she opened it for her birthday :D! It's really going to add to the fan films we're currently making ;). I'll be posting a new thread in the OT with all her Hit-Girl B-day haul. Thanks again, you ROCK! (y)cool

Awwwwww!!!! That makes me so happy to hear!!! :D You guys are just too awesome! I greatly look forward to checking out that thread!

Keep kicking ass you two!

Also the new Hit-Girl banner for the forum is just too awesome!! I saw it for the first time a few days ago when I dropped in to check on my thread! Talk about awesome timing! I was like, "NO WAY!!!".

TRPF-HG.PNG

That's so cool! Did I miss where to get it somehow? Can you share? Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Awwwwww!!!! That makes me so happy to hear!!! :D You guys are just too awesome! I greatly look forward to checking out that thread!

Keep kicking ass you two!

Also the new Hit-Girl banner for the forum is just too awesome!! I saw it for the first time a few days ago when I dropped in to check on my thread! Talk about awesome timing! I was like, "NO WAY!!!".

View attachment 224664

I just saw it just now. So cool!

(Bigdaddy, was that you who left the karma comment?? That made me laugh! Never been afraid of any deviation! ;))

I'm also going to use my costume thread to give little updates on what I'm planning on working on (work is never done on costumes I swear).

Here's a small list I've got going (can't think of anything else at the moment):

- Re-adhere the "HG" applications on the belt. Any recommendations on a very strong glue? All I currently have is E6000.

- Re-make my Mindy Stick! (I broke one "blade" clean off twirling it around like an idiot. GO ME. But I'll be brainstorming ideas on how to improve it a bit from the first one.)

- My main upgrade: new kilt fabric.

I made a huge error when I chose my kilt fabric: it was a mixed blend, and one that barely took any dye. The fabric was black and white, and no matter HOW much purple fabric dye, or what brand I used, it didn't take. Major bummer. How light my kilt is bothers me, and I feel like because it's so light it stands out more than it should against the rest of the costume. In-person it has a light purple color, but cameras completely wash it out.

The screen-used kilt fabric is Matthew Vaughn's family Tartan, and is nowhere to be found. So a close-enough fabric is something I need to search around for. :) (Taking the actual fabric content into consideration this time!)

Last edited:
Shoot, it looks like I've exceeded my bandwidth on my photobucket account! It should reset itself in a couple days! Never had THAT happen before! Boring costume thread in the meantime, sorry guys!!!! I'll try and get some of them back up soon!

Last edited:
(Bigdaddy, was that you who left the karma comment?? That made me laugh! Never been afraid of any deviation! ;))

I'm also going to use my costume thread to give little updates on what I'm planning on working on (work is never done on costumes I swear).

Here's a small list I've got going (can't think of anything else at the moment):

- Re-adhere the "HG" applications on the belt. Any recommendations on a very strong glue? All I currently have is E6000.

- Re-make my Mindy Stick! (I broke one "blade" clean off twirling it around like an idiot. GO ME. But I'll be brainstorming ideas on how to improve it a bit from the first one.)

- My main upgrade: new kilt fabric.

I made a huge error when I chose my kilt fabric: it was a mixed blend, and one that barely took any dye. The fabric was black and white, and no matter HOW much purple fabric dye, or what brand I used, it didn't take. Major bummer. How light my kilt is bothers me, and I feel like because it's so light it stands out more than it should against the rest of the costume. In-person it has a light purple color, but cameras completely wash it out.

The screen-used kilt fabric is Matthew Vaughn's family Tartan, and is nowhere to be found. So a close-enough fabric is something I need to search around for. :) (Taking the actual fabric content into consideration this time!)

The actual Tartan is Drummond Grey (MV's mother's family tartan) dyed purple. I scored a vintage Pendelton wool skirt in the correct tartan on Ebay. :cool I dyed it using RIT, however I left it in the dye bath a little too long and it came out darker than I would have liked. :facepalm Then I disassembled it and put it back together as a kilt. I considered trying to lighten in with a VERY weak bleach rinse, but I don't know how well the wool will react to the bleach.:( If I was doing it again I would go with 1/2 the dye in the water, and leave it in the bath for 1/2 the recommended time. The actual wool by the bolt is very expensive ($150 to make a small kilt) so check the bay and search drummond grey (gray) or pendelton. If you want to make an actual kilt you'll need at least 2 skirts, I cheated quite a bit in the pleating, even after cutting it in 1/2, splitting the seam and splicing the two together end to end, there was barely enough. The length was determined by counting Hit-Girl's stripes :). Photos confirm the tartan pattern, pay no attention to my awful color match ;)
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• hitgirl costume skirt.jpg
    hitgirl costume skirt.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,440
  • IMG_6375.JPG
    IMG_6375.JPG
    377.1 KB · Views: 1,399
  • amber hit girl.jpg
    amber hit girl.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 4,783
  • hitgirl92.jpg
    hitgirl92.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 9,959
  • hitgirl95.jpg
    hitgirl95.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,281
I considered trying to lighten in with a VERY weak bleach rinse, but I don't know how well the wool will react to the bleach.:( Photos confirm the tartan pattern, pay no attention to my awful color match ;)

Don't use bleach!!!!! IF you are going to try to lighten it use a very weak mixture of Rite Dye Remover.

But I think your color looks great and it will lighten over time and after a few cleanings.

I did what Big Daddy did, except that I managed to find the fabric sold as fabric. Not exactly right, but I'm still very happy with that part of mine.

The actual Tartan is Drummond Grey (MV's mother's family tartan) dyed purple. I scored a vintage Pendelton wool skirt in the correct tartan on Ebay. :cool I dyed it using RIT, however I left it in the dye bath a little too long and it came out darker than I would have liked. :facepalm Then I disassembled it and put it back together as a kilt. I considered trying to lighten in with a VERY weak bleach rinse, but I don't know how well the wool will react to the bleach.:( If I was doing it again I would go with 1/2 the dye in the water, and leave it in the bath for 1/2 the recommended time. The actual wool by the bolt is very expensive ($150 to make a small kilt) so check the bay and search drummond grey (gray) or pendelton. If you want to make an actual kilt you'll need at least 2 skirts, I cheated quite a bit in the pleating, even after cutting it in 1/2, splitting the seam and splicing the two together end to end, there was barely enough. The length was determined by counting Hit-Girl's stripes :). Photos confirm the tartan pattern, pay no attention to my awful color match ;)

Are you serious?! I looked into the Drummond Grey at least a year ago! I can't believe I was so flipping CLOSE! You are fantastic. Seriously. THANK YOU. It sounds like you have to watch the dye bath like a hawk. I was leaving my current kilt fabric in a dye bath of 3 dye packets for hours on end with no result. And I did that at least 3 times. I am indeed planning on having my next kilt be an actual kilt, so looks like I need to do some price searching. I feel like getting a new kilt is the last big piece of the puzzle to getting the costume where I want it, so this comes as a huge relief. And as an awesome bonus I get to say, "Big Daddy helped me with my kilt!". :D

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back