War Machine Custom Build!! My first ever build!

TheAlchemist

Hey guys! So I've lurked through this forum for a couple of months and want to say thanks to Stealth for the amazing tutorials! If it wasn't for him I wouldn't be into this hobby!

I decided to follow Stealths tutorials, because Foam is pretty easy to handle.

I know War Machine has been updated for Iron Man 3 and prior to the Iron Patriot release, I had already made the chest, shoulder, and arm pieces.

So instead of scrapping my build, my Idea here is to customize the War Machine outfit, adding custom pieces to the chest and abs, as well as my own detailing.

Oh yeah, I'm also using the Iron Patriots helmet, since I think it's bad ass.

Anyways, here is what I've done so far;

The Chest:

2z4iedd.jpg

Which I am kinda of disappointed with. I took a break (more like 4 month Hiatus) and came back, forgetting to glue from the inside out. I had glue all over the seems and on the inside.

Luckily! I invested in a heat gun, and blasted the glue, wiping it with Qtips. I did this procedure to all the rest of the parts I made before too, including the shoulder pieces, and biceps:

ajxeyr.jpg

I also realized that there were holes and some places where I didn't like the way it looked, so I searched for a solution and found that a lot of people recommend Caulking and smudging it between the foam:

v7gsqt.jpg

Last edited:
Luckily my workmanship did get much much better. The back is incredible :D

:
42sy8.jpg

I'm going to give the foam a light sand, after applying the caulking to the other parts as well. I found this at home depot, which is made for Sanding fabric. It actually works great:

t64g21.jpg

.. Oh yeah..

The Caulking I used, is acrylic and paintable. And it sands pretty decently!

Hey there looks pretty good so far. I am unfamiliar with this caulking method. Where did you find that tip. You said that you were going to add your own spin to it. That's going to be nice to see. I too have been doing the same, mine i've named the War-Patriot. With all the new suits coming out it opens the door for creativity. Look foward to seeing more...GM

My Favorite so far:

I used the heat gun and moulded the foam, it took a really long time. I made sure I bent the foam the way the Pep files showed. I still kinda messed up the top part, but I'm glad I am using Caulking to fix some mistakes!

20130403_171357.jpg

There was a a gap at the top part, where the foam dips, and I kinda had the top a little crooked. So I used Caulking and molded it a bit, then sanded the hell out of it with fine grit sand paper:

20130404_171457.jpg

The sand paper block thing-a-ma-jig I used:

image.jpg

Hey there looks pretty good so far. I am unfamiliar with this caulking method. Where did you find that tip. You said that you were going to add your own spin to it. That's going to be nice to see. I too have been doing the same, mine i've named the War-Patriot. With all the new suits coming out it opens the door for creativity. Look foward to seeing more...GM

I Kept googling for an answer (on what to do to fill in the holes left in the foam). I was really insecure, thinking that I screwed up a couple of the pieces. My first shoulder piece was horrible, because I wasn't sure on what to do, how to glue. I then purchased the X-acto Bevel cutter, and also learnt to glue from inside the seem (derp!).

I think i stumbled across a couple of posts on here, where some people suggest caulking (since it's rubber like, stretchable, paintable, and etc)

I saw a build of a custom war machine, on facebook, from a guy in Italy. Honestly this guy is awesome. He just made a Ultimate Iron man too:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Prizmatec/402943306408585?ref=br_tf

.. On one of his albums explaining how he made his War Machine, he detailed that he used plaster, but was really careful for the cracking. Since Caulking doesn't crack, I think it's the best of both worlds. Only thing is, I used Rubbing alcohol and dipped it in a Rag, to smooth out the edges.

Does it hold primer and paint well? it seems like it wouod prematurely wear

Just plastidipped 4 parts. The caulking works like a charm, a bit glossy though.

The plasti dip on the other hand

:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm

Unmitigated disaster.

Bubbles bubbles bubbles. The hell!

I'm buying Laquer thinner and trying to fix the issue out. Here's hoping it works :cry

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back