Cheap and easy facehugger display tube

Jbomb

Hello, new member here. I know a lot of people stumble upon the rpf as a resource for ideas (myself included), so I thought I would share this little tip.

A while ago I decided to make a not necessarily accurate facehugger display tube, but I quickly discovered that all of the tube options would cost more then I was willing to spend. After a couple months of thinking about it and keeping an eye open, I stumbled across what I was looking for: a large flower vase. While plastic would be preferable to glass, I think it looks just fine. It will also be easy to fill with water if I ever decide to. I found it at a TJ Max store for around $35, and I also picked up a trash can to use as the base.

Mine is pretty plain right now and I might do some work on it to spice it up (and make it look less like a trash can :D), but for anybody on a budget looking to make a facehugger (or any "specimen") display I would definitely recommend checking out vases.

Awesome!

yeah I just price materials to do new tubes.

Trust me, you dont want to know. Go with the Vase.

i have a vase sitting here waiting to become a stasis tube,does yours taper?,mine is thinner at the bottom.
i have one i made a few years ago from a glass tube with plastic top and bottom that i made

I have my tube, just have to many projects to even think about it. I think I'll do it after my face hugger is further along. Great cheap project though, nice job.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

madmax said:
i have a vase sitting here waiting to become a stasis tube,does yours taper?,mine is thinner at the bottom.
i have one i made a few years ago from a glass tube with plastic top and bottom that i made

No, they had both versions when I found mine, but the one I bought is the same diameter throughout.

chuckyAPP said:
Looks really great, with the addition of some greeblies it would look amazing.

Thanks. After posting this I started thinking about what things to add. I will probably focus on finishing my alien head project first though.

metalzeus said:
really cool, now where do you get a facehugger?

Ebay. The out of production halcyon kits pop up from time to time.

This is a bit off topic, but if you have a Habitat for Humanity Restore in your area you should definitely check them out. I've seen some really nice glass display cases in my local Restore for as little as $45. If you have the room they are fantastic for displaying your props and collectibles.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back