Ghostbusters Ray Stantz "Hero" Proton Pack Build

mburkit

Hello everyone! On Saturday night, I finished up a year long build of one of my favorite movie props, the "Proton Pack" as seen worn by Ray Stantz in the Hotel Sedgwick in "Ghost Busters". Building proton packs has been an obsession of mine for about 10 years now. I have either built or had a hand in building 10+ packs now. This one is personally the 5th one I have built for myself. My plan for this pack was to make it as screen accurate as possible with all the real hardware and materials. Everything that's supposed to be fiberglass is fiberglass, everything that's supposed to be aluminum is aluminum. If you're still reading, then lets take a walk through the build!

A friend of mine has sold proton pack shells in the past and had given me permission to cast one of his shells after I modified it for my own use. Here's a little bit of the mold making:

(Click on the photos to see the larger version of them)
th_mold1.jpg

From that mold, I pulled a shell for myself and took a giant leap into a journey I have been on since 2003: to create a proton pack as close as humanly possible to the hero packs of "Ghostbusters". And so we begin this leg of our Journey. . .

th_IMAG0540.jpg

I had modified a few things on the master before casting, but as I began working on the build, and compared it to my reference, the need to modify more parts of the shell became apparent. Some of these things were the size and placement of some of the predetermined holes on the shell, as well as the size of some of its structures; in particular, the gun mount box had to be extended in length from 4" to 4.25" to accommodate the accurate sized V-hook and spacer. So you will see things change on the shell as I move forward through my little story.

th_IMAG0555.jpg

I removed the cast in N-Filter, and increased the size of the top cyclotron rings and cut the rings to the same 1 3/8" ID as the Sony Lobby Hero pack. I also filled in the powercell window and recut it to the accurate size.

th_IMAG0756.jpg

Now, it was time to start mounting the parts I've been collecting for this pack since 2003. But I didn't want just a generic GB1 pack, I wanted to replicate a particular pack. In the beginning, I originally chose to replicate the "OMNI" Pack, as seen here:

th_omnicovercopy2-1.png

Has I moved on through this build, I changed my mind to what the pack eventually became, which was a replica of the pack Dan Aykroyd wore for most of the shooting. But for the time being, in some of the photos, you will see details specific to the OMNI pack until I eventually switched.

th_IMAG0899.jpg

Here's a shot of the parts I had up until this time, dry-fitted on the shell before I began the painting process. I even cut my own aluminum motherboard for this build.

th_IMAG0903.jpg

Here's a shot as the pack portion of the prop has been painted and assembled.

th_IMAG1082.jpg

As you can see in the photos, I have an aluminum thrower for the build as well. Its construction was due to the help of several of my friends and their ability to work with metal. Here's a few photos of that.

th_IMAG0892.jpg

th_IMAG0897.jpg

th_IMAG1070.jpg

Its around this point that I chose to switch over which pack I was replicating.

vlcsnap-61449_zps804a8e8e.png

th_IMAG1321-1.jpg

I was at some what of a stand still at this point, waiting for my front handle to be welded up for me. So I moved over to the electronics. All the electronics in this build are custom made. I purchased a GBFans.com sound board, contacted the individual that makes them for the website and had him reprogram it to operate the way I wanted for my set up. All the lights are designed by my friends and myself. Other then running LEDs instead of incandescent bulbs, I feel pretty confident that these lights have the same functionality as the props seen on screen. Here's some shots of my electronics installation.

th_IMAG1507_zps8e67d5b5.jpg

th_IMAG1509_zps3cb11f1a.jpg

And here's the inside of the wand before I installed the popping mechanism for the front barrel.

th_IMAG1525_zpsd828e91e.jpg

My next post will be the finished product.

Last edited:
Finished product time!

th__DSC0080_zpsb1f64a08.jpg

th__DSC0081_zps97e96fd6.jpg

Lights! As you can see in this picture, 2 of the ribs on the powercell are lighting up. In Ghostbusters, Dan Aykroyd's pack must have been knocked up against a wall or something and scraped the paint off this portion of the pack, letting the lights shine through the shell. I replicated this as well.

th__DSC0089_zps14f6595d.jpg

Close up of the bumper and bellow.

th__DSC0103_zpsd8c37eb1.jpg

th__DSC0104_zpsc417ac53.jpg

Here's a shot of the motherboard details, including the custom made (and cast) spacer on the top connection between the LC-1 Alice Frame and the aluminum motherboard.
th__DSC0106_zps2bb6392e.jpg

Close up of that detail.

th__DSC0107_zps9f7035f1.jpg

Like on the real props, I have a switch plate on the bottom of the pack where my master kill switch is as well as my recharge port for the 12v battery.

th__DSC0108_zps50f307e2.jpg

Onto the thrower!

th__DSC0094_zps2687a8a0.jpg

th__DSC0095_zps9add0c3e.jpg

th__DSC0097_zpsfe95ad11.jpg

th__DSC0102_zps8506c202.jpg

th__DSC0100_zps664a7221.jpg

I love this photo:
th__DSC0098_zps38ab9e45.jpg

Close up of the custom flashbulb socket I made out of acrylic rod for the tip of the acrylic tube:
th__DSC0099_zps5c041053.jpg

And of course, a video of it all in action!

Ghostbusters Hero "Stantz" Proton Pack Demo - YouTube

I'm really happy with how this came out. I personally feel its one of the most accurate replications of this prop to date (granted that's my own opinion), and I'm so happy to have this sitting in my collection. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to ask away! Thanks for looking.

So, this past weekend, my friends and I went to a Liquor Store in Connecticut

And just so happened to run into Dan Aykroyd!

He was nice enough to sign my "Ray Stantz" pack for me.

Got "Ray Stantz" to sign my "Ray Stantz" Hero Pack. It makes me all tingly inside just thinking about it.

I'm feeling a lot of envy right now. I have a rough GB uniform I pulled together a few years ago, but still needing to build the proton pack. Yours is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

I just want to chime in & say how impressed I am with your work. :) I'm slowly working my way toward completion of our 'amalgam' pack, (somewhere between GB1 & GB2 - working mostly on the electronics & thrower these days), & LOVE the way yours turned out. :D

I don't sell shells. In fact, this mold has been toast for about 5 years now. I haven't looked at cost lately but I would imagine them costing between $500-800, probably.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back