Sithpig's Dredd helmet project WIP

sithpig

Ok, finally getting around to posting up progress. Again, many thanks to Blaxmyth and Dung0beetle for the pep file! Also, thanks for the suggestions on how to get the detailing in on the raised parts. And in the final pic, I guess you could say the fumes were starting to get to me... :)

Lol! After being LCOG for nearly 3 years, can you blame me? I haven't posted pics because my 1st attempt to mold this failed. Remember your Release Agent! After remembering that, and sealing it, It worked out much better. I'm hoping to cast a helmet today to see how it worked out.

looks great, thats the one that you cast or your original?

Im currently at the sanding phase, kinda hard to do any advancement due to outside temperature (sucks living in the north).

Keep up the good work!

looks great, thats the one that you cast or your original?

Im currently at the sanding phase, kinda hard to do any advancement due to outside temperature (sucks living in the north).

Keep up the good work!

Thanks! That is my original.

I know what you mean. The weather here has been bouncing between 80 degrees one day and 40 the next. It's taken 3 weeks to get to that point because of the temp.

Well, I'm learning the fun of casting with this. I figured I would go all out. The things I've learned so far...

1. It's better to buy a gallon kit of silicone than it is to drive 80 miles round trip to buy more...
2. I don't care what Reynolds says, 4 coats is not enough for a mold. 6 is much better.
3. Don't forget your release, and if you have primed the helmet, I'd go ahead and seal it. I used Rustolieum auto primer, and my first mold stuck bad. If it does stick, quickest way I found to clean it was to wipe it down good with Acetone. When it balls up, give it a quick coat of primer, then it will sand right off.
4. What they mean by Tacky before applying the next coat. If it pulls away at all, WAIT! I ripped the detail coat on my 1st attempt, and if you do that, stop, let it dry, rip it off, and start over.
5. Resin HATES humidity...
6. If you know someone who has experience molding stuff, ask them lots of questions...

Right now, I'm between paychecks, so I need to go get more material to finish this out.

I also thought it would be helpful to show where I screwed up, so that others don't have to experience that. Those mistakes cost $$$...

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back