How I Met Your Mother

There are four episodes left this season, the wedding being the last one or two. It's a safe bet the season ends with him meeting her or just shy of meeting her.

we already know he's been in the same room with the Mother, since his first day of teaching, she was in the Econ Class Ted Accidently started teaching. She was also at the Club when Ted Made out with the Married Woman and lost his phone. And she was The roommate to the one who turned out to be a lesbian. (who returned to recommend her band for Barney's wedding)

So we are probably going to get flashbacks to those events to show how close she was to him

The Wife and I can't wait though!

Love this show.
Awesome episode.
Seriously would be heartbreaking if it turned out one of them were dead.
What if the kids were watching a video Ted made for them before he died for when they were older?
Better not be something like that. :cry

I had never watched this show before last fall. Since then, I've breezed through the first 7 seasons on Netflix. Has it been mentioned that season 9 is indeed the last season?

Season 9 is it. There was a question as to whether Season 8 was gonna be it, but Season 9 is confirmed as the last season. It's also supposed to be a very different feeling season, although nobody's 100% sure why. There's some speculation that parts of the story will be told from the Mother's perspective once the character is formally introduced (which people expect will happen at the end of this season), but that she and Ted won't be a perfect happy couple right from day 1.

Very interesting! Forgive me, but.... it's about time! They've played this tease FAR too long. I lost interest after Season 5 (but watched occasionally since).

Of course, I really only watch the show for Niel Patrick Harris...

I figure if they can still nail the heart with speeches like Ted's last night, they won't have a problem casting her. I mean, think about when we first met Victoria. She seemed terrific (although in hindsight, not so much), and certainly Ashley Williams and Josh Radnor had great on-screen chemistry together. I think they can do that with whomever they end up casting.

Honestly, I find it kinda funny the amount of apprehension people seem to have about casting the Mother. It's almost as if they've fallen into the same trap Ted has: being unable to imagine anyone other than the women who've come before (especially Robin), and being unable to see beyond that. (I'm not saying you're doing this, Vivek, but I see it a lot.)

For the longest time (especially during the early seasons) despite all contrary and Future Ted saying otherwise, I secretly did wish Robin was the Mother. I was thinking maybe they will come up with a clever way to trick the audience. Perhaps Future Ted never referred Robin to his kids as Aunt Robin and it was only for the audience or the other way around with another name; just like sometimes how he hid certain facts from his children and narrated stories with changed details. But once they started building the Barney and Robin relationship, I finally started to accept that it had to be someone else.

I think whoever they cast will be able to pull it off. Every time the show has brought someone on that they really WANTED us to like, we have (by and large) liked them. People might cite Stella as an example of someone they didn't like, but in hindsight, I don't think we were meant to, really.
Yep, totally. The big difference there being, we as an audience first accepted them as unique individuals and characters first and later depending on how things panned out embraced those characters as potential girlfriends for Ted. But they were never put on this pedestal and having the title Mother and all the expectation that comes with it right from their introduction. In this case, when they reveal the actress to be the Mother character, it's going to be a scrutiny fest by the fans right from the start, for the actress and for the character. Of course no doubt most fans will eventually start to like her.

Something else I hoped for was, just like in the storylines of the Mother character being in the past situations where Ted missed meeting her, what if they had inserted the actual actress playing the Mother somewhere in a episode as a cameo role in the background? i.e. along with showing her face. That would be some massive forethought, but yeah very unlikely.

By the way -- for those interested in all things HIMYM, check out have-you-met-ted.com (if you haven't, already). I post over there frequently, and actually write the episode recaps and some of the other blog posts.
Nice. I noticed your username in one of the comments for the The Time Travelers episode discussion, but no name given for the person who wrote the episode recap, did you write that recent one as well? Either ways, great write up.

List of Ted's romances - How I Met Your Mother Wiki
I've now been reading the HIMYM wiki page and checking on the list of Ted's past girlfriends including the page about the Mother to refresh my memory and to catch up on any other clues I missed out on.

I've been writing the recaps on the HYMT site since....hmm....Episode 11 of this season? JD started the site, and then Jordan took it over around Season 6 or 7, I think. Maybe midway through S7. Then Jordan got pretty busy (and engaged) during Season 8, and kinda....fell off. I think we went for, like, 4-5 episodes with no official recap, but Ross and I were chiming in a lot on the discussions. For I think maybe Episode 11 or so of this season, I started writing the recaps, so basically anything you see up there since then is me. Ross chimes in at times, too, but usually indicates that it's him writing.

We've had some site issues lately, and it looks like some of the older recaps from this season have gone missing, but hopefully we'll get that and the comments thing fixed soon.

For the longest time (especially during the early seasons) despite all contrary and Future Ted saying otherwise, I secretly did wish Robin was the Mother. I was thinking maybe they will come up with a clever way to trick the audience. Perhaps Future Ted never referred Robin to his kids as Aunt Robin and it was only for the audience or the other way around with another name; just like sometimes how he hid certain facts from his children and narrated stories with changed details. But once they started building the Barney and Robin relationship, I finally started to accept that it had to be someone else.

The first episode ends with Future Ted saying "and that kids is how I met your Aunt Robin" with the kids getting irritated with him. Clearly he's calling her "Aunt Robin" to the kids, and clearly they know "Aunt Robin" to not be their mother.

I almost wonder if hooking her up with Barney is a way for the writers to completely drive home that Robin isn't the mother to some viewers. I think some people still won't buy Robin as not the mother unless the mother and Ted get married on screen, she gives birth on screen, and is shown alive interacting with the kids in 2030 while Robin is also present to distinctly show them to be seperate individuals.

The first episode ends with Future Ted saying "and that kids is how I met your Aunt Robin" with the kids getting irritated with him. Clearly he's calling her "Aunt Robin" to the kids, and clearly they know "Aunt Robin" to not be their mother.

I almost wonder if hooking her up with Barney is a way for the writers to completely drive home that Robin isn't the mother to some viewers. I think some people still won't buy Robin as not the mother unless the mother and Ted get married on screen, she gives birth on screen, and is shown alive interacting with the kids in 2030 while Robin is also present to distinctly show them to be seperate individuals.

And even then it won't matter. Some people, I'm sure, still "ship" Harry and Hermione...

That fandom ships everyone with everyone. There are some really bizarre pairings.

Damn, now I'm have curious to see what HIMYM fanfic is out there. Must resist, can't do that to my brain.

I've been writing the recaps on the HYMT site since....hmm....Episode 11 of this season? JD started the site, and then Jordan took it over around Season 6 or 7, I think. Maybe midway through S7. Then Jordan got pretty busy (and engaged) during Season 8, and kinda....fell off. I think we went for, like, 4-5 episodes with no official recap, but Ross and I were chiming in a lot on the discussions. For I think maybe Episode 11 or so of this season, I started writing the recaps, so basically anything you see up there since then is me. Ross chimes in at times, too, but usually indicates that it's him writing.

We've had some site issues lately, and it looks like some of the older recaps from this season have gone missing, but hopefully we'll get that and the comments thing fixed soon.
Cool, that's good to know.

Right, I knew they are not a possibility right from the pilot episode, it was mere wishful thinking on my part.

:lol

HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER Season 9 Will Take Place Over the Course of One Weekend | Collider (SPOILERS, if you have not seen the season 8 finale)

As soon as they revealed the character during the season finale, I knew she looked familiar. It's later I found out that I remember her from 30 Rock.

Curious to see how this entire weekend storyline across 24 episodes will pan out. I was hoping we would get to see Ted and her relationship develop across several weeks if not for months.

(SPOILERS, if you have not seen the season 8 finale)

An entire weekend? Well, they always seem to surprise us, so that means the series won't end with Ted's wedding then? How are they going to develop the perfect relationship between him and the mom that was teased for 8 seasons.

I'm a bit worried now, but who knows, it could be the best season ever :behave

Yeah, gut reaction is that I don't like this idea. A few episodes dragging out the wedding would be fine, give the rest of the season showing the audience WHY this woman is the perfect girl for Ted and he gets over Robin finally. Dragging out the final few days over a 24 episode season strikes me as excessive and I'm not convinced there's enough in that small span of time to carry a full season. Maybe if they do mother-centric flashbacks or something, but I foresee this concept wearing thin before the season's over.

NOT happy about this decision, and I'm voicing my opinion. This insistence on ending the series with the titular meeting, and refusal to show the two of them falling in love and getting to know each other just pisses me off to no end. I might actually quit watching because I just DON'T CARE about Barney and Robin's freaking wedding. Even as a framing device, it'll be a distraction and take time away from the two of them getting to know each other and falling in love.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back