How I Met Your Mother

I can see losing interest and fading away from a program - I get that. But something's you just invest so much time and energy that it seems improper to not see it to fruition.

Life has ups and downs. People die. Yeah, we often use TV to escape that kind of stuff - but, usually with this type of TV it's laughtrack/happy people/stock characters. I think it's almost refreshing to see something a little different from what could have been just another typical sitcom (that would bore me to death)... if this is what they choose to do.

I came late to the HIMYM party - I caught up on Netflix and have watched about the last 2 seasons as they aired. I have too much invested in these characters to just quit now. I'm not going to quit because something isn't going just the way I want it to - life is like that, thing's don't go according to plan all the time - and it's silly to give up, there's too much off the grid that can be enjoyed.

That's cool. We just have different takes on the issue. I'm certainly not suggesting anyone else quit watching. It's just what I'd prefer to do, given how I enjoy shows. I don't expect everyone to understand or relate to my perspective.

I got into the show just before Season 7 started, binge-watched from 1-6, and then watched 7-9 live. I've been frustrated with Season 9 for a while now, and had a fair bit of frustration with Seasons 7 and 8 as well. I've been a hair's breadth from giving up on the show for much of Season 9, largely because of how the first half of the season went. I didn't find most of it funny, and I didn't find it particularly entertaining for the other parts of the show I enjoy (watching Ted's journey, the interplay among the gang, etc.). The show seemed to be on somewhat of an upswing since the second half began, but with this...

For me, this was more the proverbial last straw, but I wonder if it might have been enough on its own to make me say "Oh, screw this." Regardless, my tolerance for the show has hit its nadir now, and I don't really feel a need or desire to see what happens next, at least not at 8pm on Mondays. I'll be curious to see (via recaps online) what the writers ended up doing, and if it ends up not being as bad as I thought, then maybe I'll watch the tail end, but otherwise....meh. I've had enough.

It's kinda like eating a really rich big slice of cake. At first, it's AMAZING. THE BEST CAKE EVER. After a while, the richness starts to get to you, though, and it goes from amazing, to good, to "urrrgh...I don't feel so good..." I don't feel bad leaving a little on my plate if eating the rest of it is gonna make me feel lousy. That's kind of how I feel about the show. I've gotten my enjoyment out of it. I doubt I'll get any more, so...no more for me, thanks. But you guys go on and enjoy your cake. :)

There have been parts of Season 9 I didn't care for... Marshall's trip to the wedding being the biggest and well, Robin's been acting very un-Robin-like recently. But, I'm glad we're going to get closure and a sense of the journey being complete. I don't watch much TV, but while HIMYM definitely had a forumla it relied on, it took a risk with this season's format - will it take a bigger risk by killing off the Mother?

I think the potential for the Mother having died was a very real prospect to me since early on in the run - the speculation about it only confirmed something I had already considered. It just kinda made sense to me.

Just a few episodes left until the end...

I agree with everyone but at the same time, Ted really has always been the worst character on the show. This season, with the reveal of the Mother (who is beyond cute), has made him better. But to me, its worth seeing the whole show through for the resolution on the Slap Bet. Final Slap will either be during the wedding when the priest calls for the "if anyone has an issue why these 2 shall not be wed", or during the reception. Either way Marshall is going to destroy Barney

New print from ACME:

HIMYM01L.jpg

I didn't excpect it, but considering they filmed the ending of the kids scene way back during season two, it must have been the plan all along, I'm just shocked', but I honestly really liked it

Plus why spend the whole season on a wedding that they undid in five minutes? We should have had a season of Ted and the mom building their relationship. Grrrrr...

terrible way to end it. if it had not been for those 5 minutes...it would have been a great end. just sad the way everyone "ends up". except for Marshal and Lilly lol.

I kinda think it brings everything full circle, this show was all about not being perfect, and it was quite a very interesting ending compared to other "happily ever after endings", dunno, gues I'm in the minority on this.

So many little great moments throughout the finale, got me teary eyed several times. Loved the finale including the ending.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back