How I Met Your Mother

I'm going to have to catch up on this before it's over. I watched everything up until this season, but then got derailed thanks to work.

Honestly I think the show has been terrible for a while now, but I still credit it for taking ONE LAST SHOT, at the girl that would be my future wife... so I'll watch it to it's bitter end.

I wish they would have made the mother the feature of the spin off. I really like her as an actress.
I'm just upset that when I first went to see Once on Broadway, her understudy was in her role since she was filming her reveal for the end of last season.

And the second time I saw it, it was all new leads. I would have loved to have seen her in the part, she just seems so likable!

Plus, she learned to play the piano for Once, and learned to play the bass for HIMYM...so there's that.

-Nick

I started watching late into the show's run, but I'm all caught up now and still really enjoying the show. It is in its 9th season, so some of it has gotten a little stale here and there. Some of this season has been hit or miss; I wasn't sure if the idea of making an entire season from one weekend would do it - and some of it has been great, some not-so-much. But, there's been some great times and some great characters and I'll miss the show when it's gone.

...and I don't generally watch a whole lot of television. Just a handful of programs. This and Big Bang and New Girl are the only sitcoms I watch.

Yeah... My wife didn't catch on at first, but after a second watch she saw what I saw. It makes sense though, looking back at the series

Yep, right from page 1 of this thread, that is what many have been speculating since the episode "The Time Travelers" aired back in March 2013. I know Dan suggested that it will not be the case and I hope he is still right.

But somehow the show ending on a tragic yet hopeful note, might make a more lasting impression than a all out happy ending.

After last night, I'm done with this show. Just....done. I don't want to go on this journey with them anymore, particularly if the destination is what they're suggesting it is.

If this is a massive misdirect, it's cheesy and badly manipulative. It's not fun, it's not funny, it's not entertaining.

If it ends up with Ted or the Mother dying young, then that's not an ending I want to see. I just have zero interest in that story. Moreover, it's a HUGE betrayal of the fan base. Try to imagine if they'd told you where this was gonna go. "So, here's the premise of the show. It's a dad sitting his kids down and telling them the story of how he met their mother because he's/she's dying or already dead." Would you wanna watch that show? Tonally, the whole thing is just WRONG for the show, but given how this season has gone, I certainly would not put it past the writers to do exactly what I DON'T want them to do. And this just casts a pall over the entire rest of the series. It's really ****ty writing, in my opinion, and is grossly misplaced.

The only dodges out of this, at this point, are (1) they had a health scare and she ended up being fine, or (2) Ted's mother died before she could see his wedding or his sister's wedding. And if they do end up dodging it, then honestly, why'd they bother in the first f-ing place with introducing this? Just to screw with the fans? Not cool. gimmicky, cheap, and not cool at all. But the alternative is worse.

So, yeah. I'm doign. I'll read recaps and see if it ends up turnign around in the end, but I'm not sitting down every week to continue to be irritated or depressed.

Another scenario is if her own mother wasn't present for their wedding. And I am guessing they haven't mentioned anything about her family till now or maybe I forgot.

Dan, I totally understand your reasoning for not liking this story direction, but I still hope you will stick through the rest of the season and see how it actually pans out. Knowing you're such a huge fan of the show, you planning to give up on the show now during its final season, saddens me more than the actual story direction :lol.

Another scenario is if her own mother wasn't present for their wedding. And I am guessing they haven't mentioned anything about her family till now or maybe I forgot.

Dan, I totally understand your reasoning for not liking this story direction, but I still hope you will stick through the rest of the season and see how it actually pans out. Knowing you're such a huge fan of the show, you planning to give up on the show now during its final season, saddens me more than the actual story direction :lol.

I'll still check the recaps on various sites to see what direction the show went, but I'm not interested in watching at this point. At least not until I find out that it all ended in a way that wouldn't suck so badly.

But either way, I'm really dissatisfied with the show right now. Season 9 has been craptastic for most of it. They seemed like they were headed on the right path after the mid-winter break, but with this thing, it just took me right out of the show. Either way, as a head-fake or the real deal, I just don't want to play anymore. It's not fun at this point. Even if they end up defusing this bomb at the 11th hour, it'll hang like a pall over the rest of the show.

They're gonna try to work in more wedding wackiness in the midst of this? They're gonna go for broad Barney humor and catchphrases and whatnot? Really? When we know that we have a heaping helping of pathos waiting for us? For me, that will sour every joke, every sweet moment, every paean to hopefulness, and I just don't want to go there.

I'd rather watch something else that actually entertains me, than force myself to watch the remainder of this show.

I've quit shows before when I got wind that they were headed in the wrong direction. I quit Dexter. I quit The Sopranos. I quit Six Feet Under. I quit Vikings. I'm quitting this one. I'm not a completionist. I'd rather the story be incomplete and (in my head) open-ended so I can write whatever ending I want, than not be able to unsee the "official" ending.

So, I'm done. I'm ok with that, too. I'm frustrated at the show, but at least I only got into it right before the 7th season, instead of waaaaay back in Season 1. I can't imagine the people who were there from the start and how they feel right now. They must be absolutely furious. But me, I'll just say "Screw it. Life's too short to spend it watching TV that doesn't entertain you" and move on.

Both of them were there in the year 2024, but their talks were foreshadowing about the possibility of she not being in the distant future like perhaps after 2030 and onwards.

Yeah, we've not seen any flash-forward that shows them together in 2030. All flashes forward have been prior to 2030 with (possibly) the exception of Marvin going to college last week. Although even that might've been 2029. And there may have been one thing with Robin and Lily in the episode that Mike Tyson appeared in.

The two big future mysteries are:

1. Do Barney and Robin stay together past 2016 or so.

2. What happens between Ted and the Mother and why's he telling the kids the story in 2030.

The only way I see them getting around this is if she had a health scare but came through, and Ted says that he's telling them the story because you never know how life is gonna go.

Otherwise, it's likely that she's several years dead.

If it's a head-fake, that's bad. If she's dead, that's worse. Either way, this season has been a real disappointment.

Ahh, okay - but in 2024, why would Ted be crying (and she reacting) about an event yet to take place? Maybe since the story is framed as being told from a place farther in time?

Just ran across this as well:

How I Met Your Mother Fans Worried

The theory is that she's been diagnosed with some kind of terminal illness which leads them both to believe that she'll be dead in short order. A year, two, something like that, but certainly not long enough to be at her daughter's wedding. That's why Ted tears up. It's why she tells him not to discuss the sad moment with friends and just enjoy the company, it's why there's a long shot of the snow-covered porch at Farhampton, it's why the sad Bob Dylan song plays, it's why she tells him not to live in the past and look to the future, etc.

Think about it. If the love of your life was diagnosed with a terminal illness and you knew your time with them was limited, and you knew that they wouldn't live to see your child's next birthday or wedding or whatever, wouldn't some reference to something related to that make you break down? It certainly would for me. That's the theory on why Ted gets sad. It's not that his mom didn't make it to their wedding however many years ago. It's that his wife won't be there for his daughter's wedding because she'll be dead.

That was my impression as well. Same reason why they seem so happy to have reached the "old couple" status. Seems kinda odd at first, but with that theory it fits, they're doing now because they won't have the chance to be an old couple. I don't like this neither.

I'm not sure what the issue is. I give the creators of the program credit because they had this idea years ago and they're sticking to it... well, at least that seems to be the case. Every sitcom generally has happy endings and while the death of the mother is going to seem like a downer to many, it can be looked at other ways... here's a Dad and his kids sitting down to talk and remember the good times after their loved one had passed away.

That was my impression as well. Same reason why they seem so happy to have reached the "old couple" status. Seems kinda odd at first, but with that theory it fits, they're doing now because they won't have the chance to be an old couple. I don't like this neither.

I hope I'm wrong, and they end up making it a fake-out. That's bad enough as it is, but at least it'd be preferable to her dying or Ted with early-onset Alzheimers or something. Or, god forbid, Ted telling the story to show why he's now gonna marry Robin, since the Mother died and she and Barney got divorced or some crap.

Regardless, I do hope other people continue to enjoy the show either way. It's just not for me at this point, and I don't really care to continue watching it. I learned years ago that I am actually more of an "anti-completist" when it comes to storytelling. If I get a sense that the story is going to end in a way that will really irritate or frustrate me, I'd rather just skip it altogether and focus on other stories that I find more entertaining. God knows there's other good TV to watch.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back