How I Met Your Mother

we already know he's been in the same room with the Mother, since his first day of teaching, she was in the Econ Class Ted Accidently started teaching. She was also at the Club when Ted Made out with the Married Woman and lost his phone. And she was The roommate to the one who turned out to be a lesbian. (who returned to recommend her band for Barney's wedding)

So we are probably going to get flashbacks to those events to show how close she was to him

The Wife and I can't wait though!
Don't forget. She's the bass player at Barney's wedding.

The show never fails with constructing insightfully poignant moments.
I trust the writers to concoct a satisfying closure to his relationship with Robin. Since it's a whole new season then almost anything is possible (possimpible?).
Maybe Ted is telling them this because his wife died many years ago (when they were babies?). Maybe he's been a single dad ... or married to Robin who is their stepmom after a divorce with Barney.

But then they call her "aunt Robin" so forget that latter part.

Or she's just divorcing Barney and he's explaining why he's hooking up with aunt Robin.

The more I think about it the more certain I am that the real mom dies.

The show never fails with constructing insightfully poignant moments.
I trust the writers to concoct a satisfying closure to his relationship with Robin. Since it's a whole new season then almost anything is possible (possimpible?).
Maybe Ted is telling them this because his wife died many years ago (when they were babies?). Maybe he's been a single dad ... or married to Robin who is their stepmom after a divorce with Barney.

But then they call her "aunt Robin" so forget that latter part.

Or she's just divorcing Barney and he's explaining why he's hooking up with aunt Robin.

The more I think about it the more certain I am that the real mom dies.

Ted will not end up with Robin.

Period. End of story. It's NOT going to happen. I realize people can't see past this, but I'm hopeful that after tonight, we'll start to see a change in that.

Anyway, I went back and re-watched seasons 3-7 this summer, and I have to say that I'm in a considerably better frame of mind now. Also, more info has been revealed re: the direction of this season, and it's confirmed that we will indeed see much of the Mother and Ted together after they've met.

I do see SOME character growth with Ted, and I see the through-line of what had to change around him for him to change himself. Also, I have to say that I think in some ways the Ted-spinning-his-wheels thing is pretty true to life. Sometimes it takes a period of prolonged wheel-spinning before you have a great leap forward. Here's hoping that's what we see this season.

Also, more info has been revealed re: the direction of this season, and it's confirmed that we will indeed see much of the Mother and Ted together after they've met.
That's good to know :). Even if it's mere flash forward scenarios, I hope we get to see more of their relationship blossoming rather than focusing only on their first meet up during the wedding weekend.

Ted will not end up with Robin.

Period. End of story. It's NOT going to happen. I realize people can't see past this, but I'm hopeful that after tonight, we'll start to see a change in that.

Anyway, I went back and re-watched seasons 3-7 this summer, and I have to say that I'm in a considerably better frame of mind now. Also, more info has been revealed re: the direction of this season, and it's confirmed that we will indeed see much of the Mother and Ted together after they've met.

I do see SOME character growth with Ted, and I see the through-line of what had to change around him for him to change himself. Also, I have to say that I think in some ways the Ted-spinning-his-wheels thing is pretty true to life. Sometimes it takes a period of prolonged wheel-spinning before you have a great leap forward. Here's hoping that's what we see this season.
You're right. From the standpoint of writing Ted + Robin would seem a cheap denouement. It would be a regression in his development.
I wrote that in the midst of a myopic brainstorm.

I trust this next season should do a great deal of character development with this woman.

I can't help but feel there's got to be a catch somewhere. They're introducing a character who is pre-ordained to be Ted's soulmate and they show her face at the beginning of the season. There's got to be a catch ... I'm just trying to figure out what it might be,

You're right. From the standpoint of writing Ted + Robin would seem a cheap denouement. It would be a regression in his development.
I wrote that in the midst of a myopic brainstorm.

I trust this next season should do a great deal of character development with this woman.

I can't help but feel there's got to be a catch somewhere. They're introducing a character who is pre-ordained to be Ted's soulmate and they show her face at the beginning of the season. There's got to be a catch ... I'm just trying to figure out what it might be,

Oh, I agree -- there'll be a "catch." But I think the "catch" will be that things don't go perfectly smoothly once he's actually met her. I'd bet she takes some convincing, some wooing, and it'll take Ted having to finally master some of his worst impulses in dating for things to succeed. And while they do apparently end up married and with kids in relatively short order (first meeting n May 25, 2013 -- yes, really, baby daughter in 2015), my guess is that, as with real life, it isn't as if you meet and then everything is perfect from there on out.

The thing is, the way the show has been written up until now, you'd be justified in almost expecting that, given how Future Ted talks about her and the various post-dating moments they had. For example, the first time he tells her he loves her. We have no idea WHEN that is (although, at a guess, it's some time in...oh...November? Given how she's dressed), now how she reacted. For all we know, she might've pulled a Han Solo on him.

Maybe he'll be drawn to her but, as he got to know her, she would seem entirely inappropriate for him ... even the antithesis of his ideal. His final epiphany would be that he realizes he was trying to find in her characteristics of other girlfriends - and that his folly was in seeking those qualities. It would be great if he finds that she is ideal only in that she is a person who has a character unlike anything he's known. And in that he liberates himself from his maladaptive dating pattern and sees her, not as fantasy fulfillment, but as a complete and unique individual with history, insecurities and values as complex as his own.

In this case she will have no thematic ties with his past and the series closes with Ted starting a relationship with this woman he has barely begun to know. But now he is unmoored from his emotional and psychological baggage which also leaves him more emotionally disoriented. Much of the season might be about the process of purging that baggage including the ones anchored around his relationship with Robin.

Or not.

I think that idea's already out the window based on the 100th episode when he was in the apartment she shared with the girl Ted was dating and Ted picked out three things that indicated exactly what he was looking for in a girl and all the objects belonged to the mother.

Speaking of the mother, I really liked her in the first episode of season 9, made me want to know her better. Thanks to the actress and the writers, they got my attention.

Last edited:
Season 9 opening was a very funny episode, glad they went with a long one hour episode.

The Mother played by Cristin Milioti is very likeable and I was happy to see them go with short flash forward moments as I was hoping for.

She's got great chemistry with Lily, and clearly is passing the porch test. More importantly, her chemistry with Ted (what little we've seen) is solid. I'm glad we are getting little flashes of them together later, so we can see them as a couple while still presumably ending at the actual meeting. I'm also digging that she's as much of a dork as Ted about things that bore the rest of the group, but she'd have to be for them to work as a couple. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if she's liable to tell incredibly long-winded stories like Ted is too.

Man, I hope Marshall's road trip doesn't take up a big chunk of the season. That'd be an odd choice to separate him from the rest of the group for an extended period of the last season. The joke is already almost spent at this point.

Overall I'm feeling better about the concept of the entire season taking place over one weekend. Hopefully we'll get flashes of them outside of the inn though, I'd much rather see the bar or the apartments than the inn.

I'll bet one of the closing jokes of the series is the kids finally getting the bathroom break they were denied.

Just caught up last night (we had company Monday...)

All in all a good start. Liked the Barney and Robin bit in the limo and I thought the "sumbitch" bit was well plotted to introduce the Mother into the group via Lilly.

Looking forward to the rest of it...

I'll bet one of the closing jokes of the series is the kids finally getting the bathroom break they were denied.

I was thinking it might be funnier if the mother comes in, hears the last bit of the story, and says, "that's not how it happened!" Then proceeds to tell the kids that she's about to tell them the REAL story of how she met their father...maybe over their protestations. :lol

-Nick

I actually expect them to have maybe one or two "Future Mom" episodes where she narrates her version of the story -- in brief.

I loved the opener in some parts, and thought it was "eh, ok" in others. I don't see, however, how they're going to keep SO much focus on the wedding for the whole season. I expect what we'll get is episodes that are only loosely connected to the wedding, and then are all about some other event later or that happened before. Right now, thoguh, assuming purely the level of flash back/forward stuff that we saw in these first two episodes, I can't see how they make this more than 13 episodes before it gets REALLY old format-wise. Tehy'll run out of stuff to talk about, which is why I think we'll get something like, say, the Season 7 opener. Five min of wedding stuff, followed by "Remember that time when..." and we're focused on something entirely different now.

All that said, Cristin Millioti is a fantastic addition to the cast, as are Roger Bart and Sherri Shepherd.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back