Anakin AOTC by Tridcloudwalker converted!

scottjua

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Oh snap!

OK here's the build... sort of. I got engrossed and stopped taking pics apparently at one point.

First I had to figure out a way to get a heatsink in there. A Tri rebel actually is the perfect size for the way the inner core sits, but only if its sitting in the curved recess. I had to mill a slot into a heatsink so it would lay on the bar correctly and let the tri rebel sit perfectly in the middle.

Once that was figured, I used 3M VHB tape to hold the heat sink in place until it's slid into the hilt, where at that point the contour of the inner tubes hold it tight with pressure.

Next was the super PITA task that was the switches. I really wanted the LEDs to be functional buttons and had a mental idea on how to do it, but the execution was cuss worthy to say the least. The LEDs as they sit in the delrin top section, if not glued it, can be pressed through and sink down. SO, I had to find a way to get all but two to stay in place and for them to stay stable and not be able to be pushed in... while having two easily push down on two momentary switches.

I had to lightly sand the bodies of two of them to slide effortlessly while not being loose, and sand all of the bases on all of them... while making a mount to keep the others in place... while making a way for the two "buttons" to press the tactile switches. So I had to make tiny plungers and a rig that they could press through. This was by far one of the hardest parts, as it took minute adjustments and many many tries to get it to work the way I wanted and fit perfectly. It was tight.

At one point on the final test fitting, when removing them... I fumbled it, and all of the tiny bits shot into the air and all over my office. I almost jumped out the window. Needless to say I found all of the parts eventually and proceeded to cuss.

Here's the tactile switches in the mid plate.

The back of the rigged buttons

Here's a shot of the general layout. Now I forgot to get pics of the final install as I was so caught up in it, I just wanted to power through. However, you can see there's not much space left. In the end I had to compromise my speaker setup as the one I was going to use was DOA. >_< I found THAT out AFTER getting everything else in.

Sorry no more build pics, but the video explains most everything else.

Here's a shot of it next to the MR LE, lined up at the activation box. When I took this pic this morning, I was surprised to see that the MR LE is smaller! Or should I say shorter.

Lined up from the pommel

I'll probably polish mine at some point, as the machine shop left it a bit of a mess with micro scratches and some dings. (Trid... still wanting to know about replacement shroud)

Here you can see how I had to dodge the LEDs.

VIDEO:

Anakin AOTC Tridcloudwalker conversion - YouTube

Thar she blows!

I know there's other ways to do this... but this is how I did this one.

In retrospect, I may lathe down the inner core around the grips and make a sleeve for them to attach to. hmmm not sure. The grips are my biggest gripe. Curious to see how some of the other installs solve it.

Hi there,

wow your skills are improving with each project you take on ... correct?

Nice upgrade of a great lightsaber indeed
icon14.png

-Chaim

Really nice - i should have jumped on that run.

But i decided to do the OT first, before spreading tooooooo much. :lol

I´m always envy for the (good) sabers with light and/or sound - but i can´t do such electric stuff. :cry Really really nice looking saber you have. :thumbsup

This is a nice saber. I really like how the pommel vent came out. I wasn't sure that I was going to like it, but I think it has been growing on me.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back