Enamel paints over Shapeways material?

Invicta

Sr Member
I've just ordered something from Shapeways a Ford 3 ton tank in Frosted Detail. I've never used Shapeways before and was wondering is there's any paints I should steer clear of? I plan to airbrush it with Testors enamel over my usual rattle can primer.

I would be beyond ***** if the model melted because of the wrong paints. So if anyone has any advice I would be eternally grateful. :)

Thanks in advance,
Malc.

Last edited:
Shapeways says enamel and acrylic works fine as frosted detail (FD) and frosted ultra detail (FUD) are acrylic polymers. When I tried Tamiya primer it didn't stick at first but that was because of the support wax or some oily film which I had to remove using a toothbrush and copious amounts of baby shampoo. Rinse well and brush again until you feel the oil is gone completely. I dunked them in isopropyl alcohol for a few minutes afterwards to make sure but it shouldn't be necessary.

Yeah, it took some serious washing with dish soap to remove the wax and uncured film of polymer from my Frosted Ultra Detail.

She took primer just fine after that though.

HA I KNOW THE MODELER. He actually the SGT in my Civil War unit. I can tell you, you are going to LOVE this mode.

Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated.:thumbsup

HA I KNOW THE MODELER. He actually the SGT in my Civil War unit. I can tell you, you are going to LOVE this mode.

I know I will!. I was looking for a good image of a Carden Lloyd Carrier when this little guy popped up and my original plan was on hold. :D

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back