Escape From New York Remake

so was Swing Kids. awesome music too.

It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing, DOO-WAH DOO-WAH DOO-WAH DOO-WAH DOO-WAH DO-WAH

I loved that movie, and the soundtrack was indeed awesome. Although watching it now, I find it funny that all of these German kids have American accents. :lol

Just like EFNY, the Keaton Batman movies were the right film at the right time. Everyone was expecting "SLAM!, BANG! BOOM!" purple underwear and corny jokes and parading about how terrible a choice Keaton was. If anyone recalls or didnt know Kurt Russell was heavily advised against playing Snake by his people. He was essentially a washed up Disney child star turned tv actor until EFNY. The same thing with Keaton on the level nobody at the time thought the person could pull it off.

EFNY doesnt work today without drastic changes as prior mentioned. The cold war is what made EFNY a potential not to distant reality. The world is in a different time and place. A good and bad guy these days is black and white. The 80's were the ****.

i'd disagree w/ you, the whole terrorist angle (Carpenter - did he predict the 911 stuff or what!? terrorists crashing a plane into New York!!) is still valid, as is the angle of crime getting out of control. at it's heart EFNY is a pure popcorn sci-fi thriller and, much like Lock Out, could work well simply as that. whenever i watch it i see it a nothing more that entertaining ecapism, relationship to the real world simply doesn't enter into it.

any war could account for that. the war in EFNY was basically a world war, after all.
edit, further thoughts : in fact, a lot of the topics of Snake being ordered in on suicide missions for made-up propaganda and failed misinformation etc could directly relate to current WMD topics and the like. the increasing police state etc is also relevant.
this is, of course, based on back info from the novel. regarding the film, and any protential reimagibootmake it's entirely superfluous : Snake is a renegade badass, a soldier gone merc/survivalist/whatever ~ end of story. Not knowing anything of his past took nothing whatsoever away from the film when i first saw it. knowing it now from the novels, it still takes nothing away from the film in that it's barely mentioned at all. Much the same as the bank job, we don't NEED to see it, Hauk's briefing tells all we need to know before the plot takes off.

Last edited:
So, if all we're doing is updating the f/x, the actors, and the conflict which brought Snake to where he is in the film -- and that's taken care of in exposition anyway -- it rather begs the question: why bother? For those who "want more" can you not simply re-watch the old one, since you'll basically be doing that anyway -- just with new f/x and faces -- in a remake?

did you guys grow up in and if so recall the political times and nuclear fears in the late 70's and early 80's? EFNY was a product of this and huge part of what made it work. Its "future" date at the time was 1997 or as we stand in reality, 16 years ago. Look at the world politics these days, thats where Snake will be in the re-imagining. A different world = a different Snake. A strait continuation with a new actor doesnt work, EFLA proved that.

Like a lot of the remakes but especially with this one Hollywood and some people just need to let it go! :lol

The backstory elements in the novelization by Mike McQuay added depth to Snake without unnecessary overcomplication or diluting his utter badassery. And the writing is pure hard-boiled white lightning.

First sentence:

"He was a cat. He was an iron bar fistload in a strong right arm. He was Snake Plissken and he was running for all he was worth."

Won't spoil it for anybody, but the last sentence adds an extra beat to the ending that's just ***** brilliant.

McQuay went on to write some terrific original stuff, and if they had him on board for any kind of EFNY pre/re/boot/launch, I'd be ticket buyer #1. Too bad he's dead now...

The backstory elements in the novelization... added depth to Snake without unnecessary overcomplication or diluting his utter badassery.

I agree.

I picked up the novelization at Half Price Books years and years ago on a whim. I read it and loved it. One of my favorite old books I re-read like a guilty pleasure or maybe like eating homemade meatloaf, my comfort food.

I like the backstory about his eye.

Forgot to mention - the novelization's history of NYC & how it went from being worth billions as real estate to a toxic chemical saturated human junkyard made a huge difference in the "suspension of disbelief" dept. I saw EFNY about six times in theaters when it came out, and overheard enough muttering to suspect the absence of ANY explanation in the film didn't help it at the box office.

I highly recommend McQuay's MATTHEW SWAIN series to anyone who liked his EFNY.

Yep, the same reason the first trailer for Robocop remake is all I saw. Never saw the film, never will. I am sure the movie might have its own merits, but I am just not interested.

But I am not opposed to all remakes/reboots either. There are ways to make them work by taking familiar elements and putting a unique spin on them. Carpenter's The Thing is a good example of that and so is Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

tommy-lee-jones-implied-face-palm.png

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back