Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [Completed!]

Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP]

I looked into the Salamanders as well. But I really want to take off my helmet sometimes... and from what I read, I would need dark black skin and orange eyes to be cannon. If anything I should be space wolves so my beard would look right. LOL. Hate the fur and animal bones though.

I think the Ultra hate will be mostly squashed when The costume is 7ft tall and walking around. So long as its done well. I really just want it to be identifiable to Warhammer fans and layman alike.

Yaa, I almost mentioned the skin problem, hah. But really who cares about canon? Call it a house rule and no one can complain :p I think anyone that sees you will recognize you as a Space Marine no matter the chapter, it's all about the body. I just find Ultras to be over used and over supported by Games Workshop.

I have been a busy bee working on the skeleton that reinforces the chest. I am very happy with how solid it makes the piece. I am able to rest the full weight of my arms on the edge of the arm opening without distorting the foam at all. I trimmed out the arm holes, making them much larger to allow freedom of movement.

Next are the abs and shoulders.

IMG_20130426_180646.jpg

IMG_20130427_003255.jpg

IMG_20130427_011444.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...cUXco_clGaI/w864-h648/IMG_20130427_191944.jpg

IMG_20130427_221652.jpg

IMG_20130427_221556.jpg

Work is under way on the shoulders. I ended up trimming 4.5" off of the height on each shoulder. This way my elbow breaks below the edge of the shoulder pad. It will also make my arms look longer and more natural.

I designed and printed templates for the edge trim, then made trim pieces out of 1/4" plywood so secure to the vertical and horizontal edges of the shoulders. I also 3D printed brackets for the corners.

The wood will be visible from the inside of the shoulder, but covered in foam on the outside.

I am not certain I will keep the lower, horizontal lip. Its not entirely necessary. What do you guys think, keep it or ditch it?????

IMG_20130428_135811.jpg

IMG_20130428_173122.jpg

IMG_20130428_180902.jpg

IMG_20130428_184615.jpg

IMG_20130428_193957.jpg

IMG_20130428_223702.jpg

IMG_20130429_011914.jpg

IMG_20130429_015038.jpg

IMG_20130429_015014.jpg

Thank you for laying this out like you have. My friend and I will be following in your foot steps sir

Yaa, I almost mentioned the skin problem, hah. But really who cares about canon? Call it a house rule and no one can complain :p I think anyone that sees you will recognize you as a Space Marine no matter the chapter, it's all about the body. I just find Ultras to be over used and over supported by Games Workshop.

I fully agree. I'd like to throw Crimson Fists into the mix...

m2380471a_99800101063_PedroKantorCFC_873x627.jpg

I fully agree. I'd like to throw Crimson Fists into the mix...
View attachment 178987

Great suggestion, Crimson fists are intriguing. I dig these. I may actually go this route. I'm not in love with the Ultras, just couldn't find anything I liked better.
m2380862a_99800101097_CFAssaultPack2_873x627.jpg

Sooo, what about some old-timey World Eaters?

Just throwing that out there before it's too late. :lol

I'm strictly looking post-heresy. My buddy is working (SLOWLY) on a world eater as well.

And some shoulder news:
I wanted a way of securing the shoulder to the post it sits on. I fear it falling off. So I devised a nice ball joint to lock it onto the post and still allow nice freedom of movement. I also ended up opening up the arm holes further. The rear of the opening was impeding movement of the shoulder and had to be trimmed away. I had to tweak the internal framework of the chest as a result. I am pretty please with it now.

ball+joint.jpg

IMG_20130502_134622.jpg

IMG_20130502_015253.jpg

IMG_20130502_015339.jpg

Absolutely amazing work! Really exciting to see your progress on it. I've been following this project since it began- It actually inspired me to start my own build of similar scale.

As I'm using your build as one of my references, I have a few questions:
Would you recommend using Cross-Linked Polyethylene opposed to the EVA foam? It seems that its a bit cheaper than a bunch of mats, not to mention, I like the fact that it comes in one solid sheet. What thickness foam and what size sheets did you end up ordering?

Sorry if it seems like I'm crushing you with questions.... cause I am.... I get excited for these kinda projects xD

Finally, I'd like to second the vote for Crimson Fists- The color scheme is great, and it avoids the blasted bright blue Ultras that everyone goes for!

Thanks for all the inspiration and keep it up- Looking forward to seeing this completed!

Absolutely amazing work! Really exciting to see your progress on it. I've been following this project since it began- It actually inspired me to start my own build of similar scale.

As I'm using your build as one of my references, I have a few questions:
Would you recommend using Cross-Linked Polyethylene opposed to the EVA foam? It seems that its a bit cheaper than a bunch of mats, not to mention, I like the fact that it comes in one solid sheet. What thickness foam and what size sheets did you end up ordering?

Sorry if it seems like I'm crushing you with questions.... cause I am.... I get excited for these kinda projects xD

Finally, I'd like to second the vote for Crimson Fists- The color scheme is great, and it avoids the blasted bright blue Ultras that everyone goes for!

Thanks for all the inspiration and keep it up- Looking forward to seeing this completed!

Its totally fine. I don't mind questions. I'm glad that I could serve as inspiration. That's why I love this forum.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend polyethylene over EVA. The Eva I have seems a bit more stiff, but I read this can vary depending on manufacturer. I can say they are extremely similar in the texture and cell size. Both have worked well in my tests and performed similarly when finished and painted. I believe xrobots on these boards uses polyethylene exclusively and it works great for him. I say use what is less expensive. For me... The polyethylene was much less expensive. I have ordered (6) 72"x48" 1/2" thick sheets so far. I believe this will be enough for the whole suit. But your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the suggestion prev!

I dig the color scheme and enjoyed their back story a lot. I really think I'll go this direction now. It's plenty space-mariney, hasn't been done before (to my knowledge) and I wont get the Ultra hate. Win-win-win.

This is the new plan:
Crimson+Fist.jpg

If you like 3D printed goodies you will enjoy this. I took some time tonight and traced out the Crimson fist icon in illustrator. I added some detail to it just for fun. I then took my drawing and embellished it a bit in sketchup and added relief. Take that to the printer and BOOM, a new belt buckle. Goodbye Ultra, hello Crimson Fists. I had some red ABS, I couldn't resist.

I also cut out a 10" version out of foam to add to the right shoulder. Guess I'm commited now :D

crimson+fists+shoulder+badge.jpg

buckle.jpg

IMG_20130502_232834.jpg

IMG_20130502_233443.jpg

IMG_20130503_010324.jpg

IMG_20130503_010253.jpg

not glued on yet, might use it on the chest and paint the shoulder's insignia instead.
IMG_20130503_011250.jpg

Last edited:

Nice choice! Are you going the full plastidip job?

And as said, in love with your build so far!

So you used illustrator then sketch up to do that 3d model?
Right, mmm.. Seems like i have to try that in the near future, keep up the pics coming, your builds are great to watch, very clean :)

Nice choice! Are you going the full plastidip job?

And as said, in love with your build so far!

I thought about it. I will be coating it in Smooth-on Epsilon. Its basically a thin plastic shell after it dries. It is prone to cracking if bent too far, hence the reinforcing of the large pieces.

So you used illustrator then sketch up to do that 3d model?
Right, mmm.. Seems like i have to try that in the near future, keep up the pics coming, your builds are great to watch, very clean :)

Thanks! There is a sketch up plugin the allows you to import a DXF file. Its an autocad format, but Illustrator can export DXF as well.

Shoulder Emblem is a go. The left shoulder got the Crimson fist. I did a simple tactical marine upward arrow on the right. My wife insisted I do an imperial eagle of the chest. She liked the look of it. So now, both shoulders and the chest got embellished with iconography.

I will be working on the abs tonight and maybe bracers. I am not certain the biceps will be needed. We will see. I also found a cheapo pair of roller hockey gloves to use as my gauntlets. They will be here next week. Getting closer to finishing and painting. I'm looking forward to some color.

IMG_20130503_185930.jpg

IMG_20130504_170030.jpg

IMG_20130504_171037.jpg

IMG_20130505_171945.jpg

looking awesome man, im gonna have to finish my Dark Apostle and maybe wee will cross paths at a con down the road or something

I am also in love with your build - staying tuned for further updates :) (and getting inspired along the way - want to start my first foam build soonish)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back