FOR THE REPUBLIC! NCR Trooper Build.

I used foam floor mats. The kind used for exorcize equipment or garages to reduce back and knee pain. they are just plain grey and have interlocking sides. you can find a package of several mats at Lowed for twenty bucks. you can get slightly thinner mats at Farm and Fleet for only 15 bucks as well. I have seen people do amazing things with foam. Check online for people who build Mass Effect N7 armor. It is incredible. My goal is to eventually reach that skill status.

Thank you, I went and got materials.
Would you perhaps be willing to sell this build? Perhaps a bit later on if my build starts to stink?

I am sorry but no. The wool shirt and trousers, canteen, medical pouch, and service shoes are all important parts of my WWII US GI Combat Medic impression. The trousers are actually original 1943 issue. The rest of it has been taken apart anyways. I removed the straps and buckles to use on my upgraded version. On top of that I would never want to get rid of my first builds. They serve as a visual of how I will have improved eventually and will show inspiration in regards to where we all start. You should never settle for buying just because your initial attempt fails. You learn from your mistakes and you are better prepared for your next try. That's exactly why I am working on an upgraded version. It requires a hundred and ten percent effort but the builds give you a hundred and twenty back. Thanks for asking though! I am glad somebody thinks I'm that good! :)

Hello Wasteland! I have a tiny update for you! I had some free time to start a little bit on my NCR Trooper Version 2 armor. Ive been busy, and another project will be taking up most of my time, but every now and then I'll have something little for you.

Anyway, I have already cut out new chest armor, back armor, and shoulders for the uniform. There were a few problems with my armor before. Number one, the chest was a little too short. My belly stuck out big time when I tightened the Velcro on the sides to make it fit. To counter this I made the new set a little taller. Second the back and chest pieces were not symmetrical. They were both a little off on one side, and because I never shaped them with a heat gun they didn't contour to my body very well. Easily fixable. Lastly, the shoulders were too small. They did not extend back far enough nor did they go high enough to the point where they curve ever so slightly by the neck. PICTURE!
IMG_2837.JPG

As you can see this set is still foam. It is the easiest workable material at this point. In the future, FAR future, I plan on reconstructing this armor out of leather, just like it is in the game. Anyway, this armor set is perfectly symmetrical. All the armor peaces are even and line up, and are a little bit taller to appear better fitted. I plan on sanding down the edges and sides a bit to make it look rounder before I finish weathering and shape the pieces.
IMG_2837.JPG
I did the shoulders to closely resemble the weathering on the first pair.

Now there are a couple things about Version 1 that I was never satisfied with. First off, I was never satisfied with my whole belt setup. The canteen, was too big, and looked strange because of the cover over the US symbol. Also I am remaking a more screen accurate pouch because my WWII GI medical pouch just wasn't cutting it even though it came in very handy at C2E2. I was perusing my local surplus store though and found an old canteen with no cup, and just a cloth cover. When I compared it to the Troopers in the came it is much more proportional than my Original canteen.
IMG_2844.JPG
The snaps don't go as far forward as I would like, but it will do for V2. I will have to dye or paint the cover though to make it the correct desert looking khaki color like in the game.

Next is the goggles.... I'm sure some of you remember my previous frustrations with the goggles... After several attempts and an incident involving spelt tea I finally came up with a product that I was just as totally displeased with as the ones before it. Basically, I gave up... But not this time! A fellow before mentioned that the Trooper goggles in the game looked a lot like USAF and RAF pilot goggles used during WWII and the early 50s. I looked into this and was able to find a pair at my local surplus store that looked satisfactory. They still aren't completely screen accurate, but they will do for now. Eventually I will try replicating the goggles in the game perfectly, but I am still too scarred from my first campaign... Anyway, here are the first couple attempts at the goggles (which I am almost ashamed to show), along with the ones I purchased...
IMG_1654.JPG
IMG_1707.JPG

IMG_2843.JPG

That's all I have for you now. I have been brainstorming on some ideas with a WWII German Afrika Corps pith helmet (crappy reproduction of course) for the Trooper helmet, and more accurate looking boots.
Stay tuned in the future for more updates! And remember children... Only you can prevent mutant flesh virus!

Tiny update. I have indeed been working on this, but with school and everything it just hasn't been going very fast. I haven't forgotten I just simply haven't had the time to work on any of my projects lately. Rest assured however that I WILL be providing you guys with an update as soon as I get the chance! Stay tuned!

Howdy again folks!
I thought that I would upload some pictures of my gal and I at C2E2.
This first photo is just me at the train station. I liked the background...
View attachment 199782

Now these next two photos are two fellow RPFers that I ran into at the convention!!!! I didn't catch their names but they had some good costumes. As a die hard Star Wars fan I have great respect and admiration for anyone who builds Boba Fett CORRECTLY. And the Vault dweller was one of the only three Fallout costumes there including my own that we saw. He even payed us seven bottle caps to get a picture of him and his buddy. If you two are on here and see this give me a shout out!
View attachment 199784
View attachment 199785
Angie is in the middle there :)

Lastly does anybody know how I can upload the pictures so that they are bigger? I do not like the little pictures at all.
Don't Die Out There Folks!

- - - Updated - - -
I was wondering when I was ever gonna run into you here man I have the same pic haha rad WIP looked better in person ;)

Thanks! I'm glad to finally hear from you. I was hoping that you or your friend would come across this. haha And again thank you for the praise. I'm hoping that the next version will look even better than before. I haven't seen any of your WIP but your kit was amazing nonetheless.

Tiny update for those still watching. I have made some progress on my new armor set, and have made some adjustments to the older set in preparation for C2E2 in two weeks. I had wanted to have a whole new kit for this year, but because of school, work, and moving again I just haven't had the time. I'll have some progress posted tomorrow. Stay tuned!

HELLOOOOO Wasteland! It is I! Three.... uh, erm, I mean me...

Anyway I have a progress update. Here is the improved version of NCR Trooper Version I. As I mentioned previously I have begun work on NCR Trooper Version II, but didn't have the time to finish it before C2E2. Therefor I simply made some improvements to my first set of armor, and I am already immensely more satisfied with it.

IMG_3058.JPG

Here is a picture of the first version for comparison...

IMG_1688.JPG

I'll go over each difference.......

IMG_3064.JPGFirst off I redid the stitching that holds the belts, and buckles on. Before I used OD 3 thread that I use for all of my WWII GI uniforms, but It didn't look, oh I don't know, high enough quality I guess. So I un-stitched them all and used an old pair of brown laces to tie each belt and buckle on nice and tight. I like it much better. Reference to earlier photos of Version I and I'm sure you will agree.

Nest was the paint. I did some more dusting and stuff to make the armor pieces look more weathered. I also used a brush to liberally apply brown paint along all of the 'stitching' marks. After I wiped the excess and surface paint away, what remained in the little lines made them appear darker which I think really added to the realism. I did the same thing with all the cuts and scrapes. It improves the weathered look.
IMG_3061.JPG IMG_3063.JPG IMG_3062.JPG

The next thing I did (actually I did this before the brown stitching and dusting) Was fix the insignia on the chest plate. From the start I was never satisfied with it. The font was wrong and the letters were all askew, the star was too small, and the bear blended in too much and you could barely see it in most light. I enlarged the star, and fixed the letters with a more accurate font, and didn't have them fade so much. Before the were almost totally faded away and you could barely see them after a while. I also darkened the bear, and also added the highlights in a lighter brown. First off it is more screen accurate, but it also makes the two headed bear stand out more. I am much more satisfied with it now. Hopefully more people will recognize my costume now. The insignia is what makes it in my opinion.
IMG_3060.JPG

IMG_3059.JPGNext (I actually did this first before everything) I used a heat gun to shape the armor pieces better. The armor was always really square and flatish, so it didn't contour to my body well, and never fit right. I curved all the edges, and formed each piece to fit my body the best I could. I curved the shoulders more, and also flared them up near the top closer to the neck just like in the game.

IMG_3065.JPGI was worried about the laces coming undone, so after knotting them off the best I could I also glued them down on the inside of the armor to prevent them from coming undone or breaking. I did this with every belt, and buckle, and the whole thing is much sturdier than before.

IMG_3066.JPGLastly I removed the Velcro straps on the side in favor of actual buckles like on the shoulders. This way, it increases quality, and realism, while also adding to the armors functionality. Now depending on the height or build of an individual the armor straps can be adjusted to fit a wider range of people.... within reason of course.
Overall I am much more satisfied with the improvements on this armor set. Not only does it look more weathered and realistic, but it is also immensely more screen accurate. I am beginning to see more and more NCR Trooper costumes out there, but most of them fall short when it comes to screen accuracy (not to toot my own horn of course because mine still needs a lot of work). The biggest issues that I see with this costume is the shape of the armor, and the colors of the whole costume. Most people go for a really light tan color for most of the costume, but if you look at the characters in the game their uniforms are much darker and much grimier. Sand stained, and dirtied from countless encounters with Legionaries. Even the uniform is a more brownish color. I will be working on these things with NCR Trooper Version II in the future.

That's all for this update folks. Stay tuned for more progress this next week and a half. Stay safe! And let me know what you think!

Last edited:
Hello Hello! I am back from my busy life with an update!

I found that I forgot to post pictures of my Improved NCR Trooper impression from C2E2 this year, along with the little progress I have made so far. My focus now is getting NCR Trooper Version 1 (NCRTV1) as close to perfect as possible before proceeding to NCR Trooper Version 2 (NCRTV2).

Below is a shot of my full kit. If you look closely you can see the improved armor shape, goggles, belt set up, and boots.

View attachment 362908
For the belt set up on IMPROVED NCR Trooper Version 1 (INCRTV1) I replaced the canteen, and altered the pouch. The previous color of the previous canteen was more vibrant, and less weather looking (as it was a reproduction WWII canteen cover, and this one is an original dated 1942), so it didn't give off the desired effect. In addition to that the previous canteen had 'US' marked on the front so I used some fabric to cover it, which also took a bit away from the authenticity and screen accurateness. The 'US' has faded from this one, and it has weathered more through the years, making it the perfect fit for INCRTV1. It is slightly too big though, and I am currently working on a new cover that I may be able to put just over the canteen without the cup inside which takes up a lot of space. I also undid the laces on the bottom of the medic pouch which served as the troopers belt pouch to make it slightly more screen accurate. It is still way to big however, but I prefer being able to carry more in it. I strive for functionality, and practicality in my kits as well as authenticity and screen accuracy.
View attachment 362914View attachment 362913

This next photo is of the only vault dweller I ran into this year. He was a great guy, we shared a few laughs, and he as well purchased his pipboy kit right from the RPF's very own SKRUFFY!

View attachment 362909

By the way.... I am also a Timelord!
View attachment 362910

I am much more satisfied with INCRTV1 than I was with plain old NCRTV1. I'm happy with the corrections I have made, and can't wait to eventually get to working on NCRTV2! It will feature a lot of heavier duty materials, and hardware, along with even greater screen accuracy. I love the NCR trooper builds I find out there, but they all lack accuracy considerably. This build is currently not my top priority, but I do work on it occasionally, so expect updates here and there.

Thanks for listening children!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back