Experimental 3D printer

rickironman

Hey guys!

I am fairly new to the RPF! I have done some pep built stuff but my heart will always be with 3d printing (cheating lol)

ANYWAYS just want to start a thread about an experimental 3D printer I am involved with (well, funding more like)!

Did a first test print, and what better then to use the IRON PATRIOT helmet! (credit for the 3D model goes to
Jackieisrockin

hope you dont mind dude ^_^ )

So below are some images! As I said this is the FIRST TEST PRINT! The 3d printer has big ambition, being able to print 4x4x4 FEET!!!

Detail on the back
View attachment 149593
View attachment 149594

Side view
View attachment 149595

Funny thing is, I didnt scale the model correctly as i didnt give the faces any depth! and it STILL PRINTED!

its a mess now but its a first print- the final product will hopefully be printing smoother with alot more detail

I am hoping to be able to produce big items with this machine and sell a fraction cheaper to costume makers/3d artists for some epic peices!

Anyway! Hope you all like! Love the RPF and all it does!

Is that the helmet? What material does your printer work in? I always kinda geek out a little inside when I read about 3-d printers and such, it is cool to see that you are experimenting with a new large scale printer, I am sure everyone would love more details, about material and cost and even the name of this 3-d printer

The printer hasnt been names yet! Any ideas? Lol

Well the helmet is printed in PLA but does ABS aswell! :) cost of machine isnt conclusive as it needs alot of parts and features!

Im hoping to charge a good fraction less then online 3d companies but cant give a solid price as of yet!

4x4x4 feet?! I thought the one on kickstarter was ambitious at 2x2x2 feet. dwarfs the Maker2 we have at work . . .

Love to see pics of the printer.

C

it looks cool I wish you would have better pictures, good luck man I can wait to se how it goes I will like to do 3D Print but I haven't been able to find a cheap printer

it looks cool I wish you would have better pictures, good luck man I can wait to se how it goes I will like to do 3D Print but I haven't been able to find a cheap printer

Will get some better images. This is just the test print tho (full helmet wasnt printed because of wasting plastics), really sturdy stuff tho!

Hi Rick - Ive been looking at one of these SUMPOD MEGA ? SUMPOD

Only prints in PLA but nice build area (600 x 600 x 600mm)for not much more than the smaller machines

My interest is for prototyping for fibreglass builds - I love the symmetry/accuracy that you can get with 3d printing

Will keep watching :D

Hi Rick - Ive been looking at one of these SUMPOD MEGA ? SUMPOD

Only prints in PLA but nice build area (600 x 600 x 600mm)for not much more than the smaller machines

My interest is for prototyping for fibreglass builds - I love the symmetry/accuracy that you can get with 3d printing

Will keep watching :D

The big mission is to provide a cheaper service for 3d printing- which I think we can easily achieve. 4x4x4 feet means we can print large builds which takes away alot of limitations to what you can order to be printed :)

Where abouts are you from?

Hah we are going to try 5x5x5 feet with a custome heat plate when we have correctly adjusted the extruders. The filabot had big health and saftey risks apparently! !

When all is calibrated I would love to print out the ironman suits!!

5 x 5 x 5 = 125 cubic feet Print size
6.5 x 3.5 x 2.5 = 57 cubic feet Print size

You could make it tardis size, so it stands in a corner and prints from the soles of the feet up :)

The final printer will also consist of a heated print plate and a heated enclosur plus upgraded extruders.

Is the makerbot 2 any good?

I haven't had time to play with the makerbot, itfs installed in our Digiplayspace exhibit right now. It seems to run well from what I've seen, and the kids who see it love the idea of downloading toys and them printing them.

I did get permission took print the parts I need for my mendelmax printer on it.

C

3D printing is the future (as much as it pains me to say, in some ways. The hands on maker in me distrusts it because it can see an end of an era, the techno geek in me revels in it becaus it sees the beggining of a new one :lol).

There have been some developments in the materials able to be used by 3D printers (some still theory, some prototypes). The materials include battery polymers, metals, ceramics and many more will follow.

When you said about the kids loving the idea of downloading a toy and printing it, I truely believe that's exactly how most products will be bought in the future when 3D printers are in every household (think back when only a select few could afford a home computer, now only a select few don't have a computer).

Instead of having to plough money into the development of a physical product, which can be costly if it flops, all the elements will be designed into the 3D models which are cheaper to develope, and don't need an outlay for meterials and all the R&D.

It's not hard to imagine the possibilities once you get your head round the idea. Want a fully working RC hellicoptor and controller right out of the printer, moving parts, different materials, internal batteries, the lot? Or perhaps a printed PCBs with all the componants already in place, no need for soldering.

Replica props will take on a whole new level once the full potential is realised, coupled with plastic electronics (conductive plastics are already in development), all the componants and circuits could be flat printed into say, the armour plates of an ironman suit.... No more bulky battery packs or PCBs to stash in awkward shaped spaces.

Most of my drivel comes from new scientist, Ted talks and a friend of mine that works at Salford university as a lecturer in electro magnetic theory/reaserch fellow, but I happen to like the topic of 3D printing so dig around for titbits, and this is my prediction based on what I have learned so far.

*edit* P.S Awsome work regarding the print area, that's enormous! :thumbsup looking forward to seeing more ;)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back