6th scale Jeep RC help please

InvictaJ26

I have used a 16th scale radio controlled plastic Jeep to help me
work out how I can combine my wooden model
(with brass tube/rod axles and wheels I have molded myself) together with radio controlled stearing and forward reverse drive.
Wooden body parts are a combination of modellers ply for the floorpan and Obeche or Bass wood for the panels.

I think my problem is that the 16th scale components are not powerful
enough to cope with the extra weight of the 6th scale version I have
made.
e.g.
The front servo only just moves the wheels slightly left and right.
The motor only drives the wheels when the model if lifted off the floor
and then relatively slowly.
Please see photos attached.

I also didn't do myself any favours when dismantling the RC version as
one of the wires came adrift from the PCB but before I had turned it
over to note where they were all connected so I fryed the LED headlights
(Green wires) trying to work out where the detached wire needed to be resoldered.
Which is why there are 4 green wires comming off the PCB but are not
connected to anything.

Incidentally I changed the battery holder ( 6 x AA) so as to locate it
in the trailer.
My idea being that when the trailer is attached/connected it is radio
controlled and when not it can be pushed around or pulled via string by
my grandson.

Can anyone help by identifying which items I need to upgrade with suggestions as to suitable replacements/suppliers please?
I am here in the UK.

Any help you can offer will be very much appreciated,

Bernard

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies to this.

I chose wood as my Grandson is comming up to 4 so yes durability was very much in my mind. :)
Also I am very much a beginner at this modelling (I am a freelance gardener) so wood is something I am familiar with. I started this as a winter project/birthday presant for my Grandson and got a bit carried away.

If you could give me an idea what the technical spec is for a stronger servo that would be appreciated. Would I be able to simply solder/wire it in to my existing PCB or is it more complicated than that?

Just for background I don't have a clue how the motors and servos communicate with the handset this Radio Control stuff is all a bit like magic to me.
Sorry to be so uneducated on this. :confused

Bern

I'd suggest getting some servos like those used for 1/10 RC cars, and the radio gear too. You can pick up a complete car and all radio gear pretty cheap at a car boot sale, then you can use the parts how you need. Also the more powerful motor would be a great help. As will the ESC and reciever. The idea of having it pulled by a string sometimes isn't great for an RC car, as that won't do the differential any good.

Good luck with the project though!

Unfortunately, your rig is not trail-ready. If it's a toy originally powered by 6xAA, then it won't have the motor and gearing for the setup you are trying to achieve. You will need to upgrade servos, steering linkages, gearing, axles, motor and battery.

For 1:6, you can try visiting this site to get a bunch of great ideas and help. Post your very same query on there - there is a forum dedicated for 1:6 fans and you'll the get the support you need.
Go to this site and scroll down to the 1:6 scale forum.

Scale 4x4 R/C Forums - Powered by vBulletin

I frequent the 1:9 and there are some very talented people there doing fantastic body and chassis work. The following are my favorites, a scratchbuilt Land Rover and headquake's wooden Bronco:

Range Rover Classic 1987 - styrene scratch built - - Scale 4x4 R/C Forums
1966 Bronco (wood body) - Scale 4x4 R/C Forums

Edit: On second thought, you may not need that amount of power that might endanger your grandson - bring it up with the RC folks anyhow - they will surely have something to suggest.

Last edited:
Thank you both for your suggestions.

I like the idea of getting a base RC vehicle from somewhere like a car boot but with my lack of knowledge and experience I wouldn't know what was wrong if it stopped working so I will try going with some new items.

I'll visit the 4x4 RC forums and see what people have to say.

I was comming to the same conclusion that trying to have the rear axle used for both "towing" on string and RC controlled might be putting too much strain on the gears/motor. My solution was a quick change rear axle assembly (although how/if I am going to achieve that I haven't yet worked out). :lol

Mnay thnaks to everyone for their inpout and encouragement,
Bern

I'd love to see photos of this when it's done. I have a 1:1 scale WW2 Jeep in the garage and have always wanted a 1:6 scale one just like it. I still can't believe nobody's ever made a production model for RC like it as there'd be a huge market, I'd think...

Hi Bern, that buggy is meant to race. What you'd want is a slower crawler with good torque. The SCX-10 is a popular base setup. Wheelbase is 12.3".

Axial Racing - SCX10? 2012 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD - RTR
Axial SCX10 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4WD Kit

The only downside is it's not authentic for the Willy's jeep which is leafsprung.
But a conversion kit exists:
RCBros » RC Bros Rear Leaf Spring Conversion

Or maybe you might want to look at the Trailfinder:
Scale Truck Kit

Here's another 1/6 RC Willys Jeep build:
5 (Five) ways to build a Jeep 1/6 - Scale 4x4 R/C Forums

RC stuff are a bit heavy on your pocket as most big boy hobbies come.
But real performance is what you get in return.

P51 + Crackerjazz,

Thank you both for taking the time to help me.

I am certainly learning a lot of new stuff!
e.g. I didn't realise how technical these little RC vehicles are.
Thank you for the info regarding the Speed v Torque. :)

I also have a full size Jeep - 1975 Mitsubishi Model J26 (small world).

I have also decided to keep the Toy and RC versions seperate. I am now in the process of drawing out the panels/chassis onto card with graph paper glued to it to make reproduction relatively easy as I will keep the original as a test bed and then give it to my Gradnson so he can play with it/knock it about and I can rebuild parts quickly as needs be.

Steam bending complex shapes in Bass wood.
I have found I can bend simple curves e.g. Fenders/wheel arches relatively easily but have to use a mix of steam and cutting to make complex curves e.g. bonnet/hood.
I first team to get a gentle curve. then gue a card template to the back. cut the wood into tin wedge shapes. infill gaps with suitabley shaped pieces of wood and infill with wood filler from the hardware shops.

I am sure I will be back asking more questions when I get to the next stage both here and in the S 4X4 forum! :)

Kind regards,
Bern

Last edited:
you would be better overall to buy the separate components, 2ch radio, speed control and a universal gear set up for the motor then to buy some cheap kit like the rcboost. Best thing is to join a rc forum like rcgroups or rcuniverse are going to be the top two.

Takevin,

I have bought a couple of RC car magazines to read up on all this and was wondering wether an upgrade to an existing kit would be the way to go for me as I don't want to get into RC racing or rock crawling I just would like to have a relatively basic scale jeep that can be driven around a bit.

If it goes forward backwards and turns then on a lawn or flat beach I will be happy. :thumbsup

I'll give those RC forums a try and post back on progress.

Thank you,
Bern

Bern, for basic jeep driving look for either the Tamiya CC-01 or Axial SCX-10 chassis. They don't race but max speed is pretty good but can go really slow and they will get you out of many a rut when you need the torque being 4 wheel drive. And believe me, sooner or later you'll need it.

Crackerjazz,

Thank you again for your help with this.

I am sure you are right.
After getting to understand the technicalities of RC vehicles I expect I will want 4x4.

I will take a look at those Tamiya CC-01 or Axial SCX-10 chassis you suggest.

At RC Universe there has been another suggestion that at this stage I go for a rigid setup with two motors just to get me started. I have an open mind on this so will continue to explore both options.

Kind regards,
Bern

Just to show how this is progressing.

Here is the (mainly) foamboard bodytub just sitting ontop of an Electrix Boost which I have lengthend to get the right 6th scale wheelbase.

Next job is to drop and wrap around the bodytub to achieve the correct height on the Boost.

I went for an Electrix Boost becuase of the cost/functions and availability of parts over here in the UK. At the moment I don't want/need 4x4 so 2WD is acceptable.

My thanks to everyone who has helped me with this for their time and thoughtful ideas.

I'll update as I go along,
Bern

Last edited:
Update.

After getting sidetracked making some figures, sculpting heads and hands and printing shoulder patches, etc! :)

Here is the first running mockup of the body with a trailer and cargo (Oil drums, etc).

Now I have found the Electrix Boost RC donor runs too fast!

I think my options are:
i) Swap the pinion in the motor to one that has less than the original 20 teeth?
ii) Fit a less powerful battery. But will this reduce the running time too much?
iii) Replace the original ESC (and battery?)?

If anyone has any suggestions as to which option is more practical please let me know.

Once again my thanks to everyone for their help to get me this far,
Bern 005.JPG004.JPG001.JPG

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back