Tomb Raider (2013) Ice Axe Build

Haha that's fine. I'm no more special than any other new member who's excited about what they've created, and as a forum administrator myself I find it annoying when members try to get special treatment. I'll wait it out :)

Thank you guys! They're still not perfect, they have some minor flaws but I'm weathering them anyways so it should be alright. I'm hoping to try some different and more expensive weathering techniques down the road.

Three buddies, just hanging out! The left one is the real axe.

qqpNac8.jpg

Looks fantastic! I really love how you did the taped parts and the weathering! They certainly look like the real deal.

Since you own the actual axe, may I ask what the finish of the real one is? From the photos it looks metallic, like an anodized finish. But I could be wrong :)

And the thing they're hanging from, is that for cats? Haha! It just reminded me of the rope arrow targets in the game XD

Nice! I was almost ready to start CADing this up so I could CNC it but this would save me a ton of time!

Your paint job looks awesome as well!

I wonder if adding a metal bar into the mold before putting all the resin in would be worth it, if it's not super strong...

Since you own the actual axe, may I ask what the finish of the real one is? From the photos it looks metallic, like an anodized finish. But I could be wrong :)

And the thing they're hanging from, is that for cats? Haha! It just reminded me of the rope arrow targets in the game XD

Yes, the real axe is a metallic finish but the one in the render is not so I decided to go with a basic red paint for metals. After all, the render is heavily based off the real axe but it isn't an exact clone.

How rigid is the blade? I imagine it can't be that thick. Would it hold up during shipping?

It's not very thick but it is sturdy enough to handle hitting a friend on the leg with it (as proven from real experience :angel:) which makes it totally convention safe. The thing I like about this polyurethane is that it has a bit of flex to it so that the smaller parts won't just snap off. The epoxy wasn't like that. It was more rigid but that ironically made it less durable. This polyurethane is also very heat sensitive, I have found. It's best to hang this by the top hole in room temperature. If it warps a bit from heat, I have been easily able to gently bend it back into shape. Right now in Melbourne it has been in the 100's so I have gotten to see exactly what this stuff does on a hot summer day.

I wonder if adding a metal bar into the mold before putting all the resin in would be worth it, if it's not super strong...

I don't think it's possible, to be honest. The shaft of the thing is pretty wide but there are no parts of it that are thick enough to put a metal bar through it. Doing so would decrease the amount of resin even more and make it very likely that you will get a cast with the metal bar sticking out of it and/or a very weak cast that will fall apart. Besides, what would a metal bar do? Make it hold its shape? It does that just fine when left in temperatures that don't heavily exceed room temps. And putting a metal bar in it is definitely not going to make it climbing rated. ;)

Very good work looks the same as in the game, the game is amazing I have played, the best Tomb Raider game ever.

It's not very thick but it is sturdy enough to handle hitting a friend on the leg with it (as proven from real experience :angel:) which makes it totally convention safe. The thing I like about this polyurethane is that it has a bit of flex to it so that the smaller parts won't just snap off. The epoxy wasn't like that. It was more rigid but that ironically made it less durable. This polyurethane is also very heat sensitive, I have found. It's best to hang this by the top hole in room temperature. If it warps a bit from heat, I have been easily able to gently bend it back into shape. Right now in Melbourne it has been in the 100's so I have gotten to see exactly what this stuff does on a hot summer day.

Ok. I might have to get one. I'm finally at the part of the game where I can use it as a melee weapon. Up until now, I could only climb with it.

I love this build! The game is a ton of fun. My wife says I've left her for Lara again. :)

I'd love to get an axe when you open your store.

I love this build! The game is a ton of fun. My wife says I've left her for Lara again. :)

I'd love to get an axe when you open your store.

I'm probably not allowed to say on here but keep an eye on my facebook page where I announce all of the info on these axes.

I'm probably not allowed to say on here but keep an eye on my facebook page where I announce all of the info on these axes.
I've "liked" your page, and I look forward to hopefully owning one. I hope I can at least snag a pre-order spot if not one of the few you have available.

These are simply beautiful. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back