Galileo Restoration Update - February 2013

Search4

Galileo restoration continues and we are making a great deal of progress. We are very happy that there has been a great deal of support from fans.

Below are some highlight photos from February 2013.

Rear - before impulse deck built:
02-IMG_0367_zps51af8ad2.jpg

The impulse deck being built... laminating the layers.
06-IMG_0375_zpse163e43b.jpg

From the front: coming along!
15-IMG_0385_zps7a1694db.jpg

Part of the paint match process - an original piece of Galileo wood, and note how the colors in test don't come very close. Remember, the wood is old and the color weathered.
31-IMG_0414_zps86e40e19.jpg

Impulse deck - assembled!!
14-IMG_0445_zps3a8ed032.jpg

Inside looking forward:
05-IMG_0430_zps3b180bd8.jpg

Inside looking rear:
06-IMG_0433_zpsbc3988b2.jpg

And the landing gear being fit in!
16-IMG_0452_zps1a71abf3.jpg

Enjoy. Appreciate everyone's support.

Looking great!

So, was any of the original exterior (wood) salvageable?

Just the frame, nacelles, landing gear?

-Rylo

I think it will be coated with epoxy resin; similar to the way they build wood kayaks.

It frickin' looks awesome!! I can't wait to see her finished!! :)

Last edited:
^
I am really tired of reading these type of posts; it's just not true. The original steel frame, engines, pylon & wing structure and landing gear are still perfectly intact. These are the main components of the Galileo. The fact that the masonite covering the exterior rotted away and it being replaced does not mean it is being "rebuilt." It would be like if you replaced the siding on your home and said the house was rebuilt; it just isn't so. The structure which is the most important part of the Galileo is original: period. Many, many aircraft in museums around the world contain only a few parts of the original plane; yet they are not classified as "rebuilt." We are very fortunate that the Galileo has survived particularly since 2 years ago it was thought destroyed and sold for scrap. The structure is the most important part and it is all original. Some rotted wood and masonite can be easily replaced over the original frame maintaining the original shape. Would it have been nice to have the Galileo stored indoors for 50 years perfectly intact: yes. Is replacing the skin and some rotten wood a rebuild: no. This is indeed a restoration; not a rebuild. I for one commend the owner for spending his own money to keep this important part of Trek history alive. This talk of the Galileo not being original because some decayed wood has been replaced is absurd.

I have no issue with the restoration, people seem to forget that this prop was not built to last any longer than the next season of a TV show. The fact that it is still around 45 years later is amazing. I am sure that they are restoring it to last many years.

Last edited:
^
I am really tired of reading these type of posts; it's just not true. The original steel frame, engines, pylon & wing structure and landing gear are still perfectly intact. These are the main components of the Galileo. The fact that the masonite covering the exterior rotted away and it being replaced does not mean it is being "rebuilt." It would be like if you replaced the siding on your home and said the house was rebuilt; it just isn't so. The structure which is the most important part of the Galileo is original: period. Many, many aircraft in museums around the world contain only a few parts of the original plane; yet they are not classified as "rebuilt." We are very fortunate that the Galileo has survived particularly since 2 years ago it was thought destroyed and sold for scrap. The structure is the most important part and it is all original. Some rotted wood and masonite can be easily replaced over the original frame maintaining the original shape. Would it have been nice to have the Galileo stored indoors for 50 years perfectly intact: yes. Is replacing the skin and some rotten wood a rebuild: no. This is indeed a restoration; not a rebuild. I for one commend the owner for spending his own money to keep this important part of Trek history alive. This talk of the Galileo not being original because some decayed wood has been replaced is absurd.

x2, this is would be considered a very typical body restoration for a vintage car and those go on the block at Barrett Jackson for millions of dollars. And you can answer your own snarky question by just reviewing the thread, all the original parts are documented, see for yourself.

I was curious, is that the original rear landing gear? I don;t recall seeing any pics of that before. Is it as heavy as it looks?!

Yes, it is original (although it has been painted for some reason) and heavy. It is the landing gear from an aircraft similar to these front gears from a Beech Bonanza aircraft:

noseGearAssem_zps997403a4.jpg

200standardGear_zpsd00a02a8.jpg

No disrespect to any of the previous restoration efforts. This time seems the Galileo we be truly coming back. Congratulations to the team working on restoring her. And thank you to everyone making it happen.

Feek61, these pictures are amazing. Especially those of the rear landing strut. Please keep 'em coming.

Ted.
Prefect42.

What is to be considerd a rebuild or a restoration is subjective. I used to do Classic cars...not low end stuff like 57 Chevys or Mustangs, but REAL Classics such as Cords and V16 Cads. If a car underwent what this prop is then few collectors would consider it other than the fact that it is the only one.

I am a certified aircraft tech (A&P) and know it is legal to switch plates from one plane to another and it is considerd the same plane as long as the paperwork goes with it........we joke about it in the industry. If you are in the market for a plane you better know what you are doing :)

With that said........it seems to be more than just a lil skin. Does it retain the details....such as seats, panels and trim? These often are considered what makes or breaks something.

I hope it comes back to life for all us fans to see, but I can joke around and express my opinions and you yours :)

Last edited:
The interior of this prop was never finished (the interior shots were in a different set). Only in a few scenes did you see through the hatch looking inside and in those a chair and backing was placed inside. There was never much more to the Galileo than "a lil skin" as you say and the steel frame. The skin is gone but the structure is the same as it was when it was originally built. As a car or aircraft restorer you should realize that the skin is a very insignificant part of the vehicle and such is the case with the Galileo. Call it what you will but it is absurd to discount this significant prop saying that the Galileo has been rebuilt when in fact the entire original structure survived and has never been modified. If you believe that the replacement of the exterior masonite skin and some rotten wood between the steel frame somehow makes this a "rebuild" of the Galileo and not a renovation; well then to each his own.

Did that gear retain damping abilities or was it just solid...."bottomed out" so to speak?

I agree it is important and look forward to the results.

I work in hardwoods now.............as a mechanic for the equipment, but if you guys need any wood....poplar, red oak, mahogany, birch.....or hardwood plywood from plain to melamine I can and will help. It's in Burbank and I can get you deal.....if not free. :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back