The Man With No Name costume (The Good The Bad The Ugly) Finished pics pg3

Ruddigger

Sr Member
I'm attempting a Man With No Name costume, as worn by Clint Eastwood in the Sergio Leone films. Specifically I'm going for the final scene in The Good The Bad and The Ugly. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

The Look:
clint.JPG

The Parts:
•One railroad style hickory stripe long sleeve shirt. Preferably with rounded collar points and white buttons.
•One sheepskin vest (faux)
•One pair black faded and dirty jeans.
•Olive green poncho with white pattern
•Tan roughout boots
•Spurs
•Brown roughout pants belt with gold buckle
•Gun rig (gun belt and holster) with gunfighter stitch and bullet loops
•Black neckerchief
•Cheroot (small cigar)
•One gun. 1851 Colt single action Navy, cartridge conversion
•Two silver snake inlays for the gun grips
•One brown hat, with bullet hole and tooled leather hat band.
•One mean squint

The Build:

Here's what I have so far.I bought a blue-striped shirt from Old Navy, it's temporary because the stripes need to be thinner and closer together. I actually found a better shirt at H&M, but they only had it in sizes suitable for fat people, and I'm very thin.
shirt.jpg

The vest has been a struggle. Looking back through other RPF builds I found people using a womens Old Navy vest that is no longer available. I found one on eBay, size small, and bought it. Turns out a small is too small, but just barely. I could make it work, but the real problem I had with it was that it had furry seams on the front, and that killed it for me. I don't know why i bought it, I should have known it would bug me, but I wasted my money anyway. Here's it is.
vest1.jpg

Vest number two was also an eBay purchase (most things in this build thread are.) It's also a women's vest, this time the brand name is INC. I liked this one a lot better because of the color of the fake sheepskin and the cut has very little seams showing on the front. But when I got it the fur part was way too soft. It seems more like soft mink or rabbit fur, and not the coarse lambs wool it's supposed to look like. So much for that one.
vest2.jpg

Vest number three was just right. The color is a bit light, but it's free of seams and the fake wool is nice and coarse. The lighter color might actually come in handy when I weather it, it won't end up being too dark. The brand on this one is JouJou, and it's also an eBay purchase, two vests for 20 bucks. I think this was originally sold by JC Penney, though it's not any longer. I'll stick with this one, and trim it to the appropriate shape. It's a large so I'll have no problem with trimming it.
vest3.jpg

vest4.jpg

I've been searching for a suitable hat for months, and I finally came across one that's perfect, and in my size! 6 7/8 is hard to come by, and it's a real vintage Stetson too. The hat band is wrong, so I'll have to see about getting it replaced, but I'm so happy I found this, and for just 30 bucks.
hat1.jpg

hat2.jpg

hat3.jpg

The rig is being made by a guy in Kentucky, it just shipped out today so hopefully I'll have a real picture of that to show you soon. I may have the same guy make the belt for the pants so they match.
rig1.jpg

The gun is where most of my budget went. I figured if I'm gonna be Clint I might as well do it right, so I bought a real gun. Cimarron makes a Man With No Name replica, it's an 1851 navy converted to shoot 38spl. I've never owned a gun before but I've always wanted a cool cowboy revolver.
Please don't turn this thread into a debate on gun control!
Anyway, California has a 10 day waiting period, and I'll be picking the gun up on Wednesday. Once I have it I can add the snakes to the grips.
Here's a picture of the gun of Cimarron's website.
MWNN1.JPG

Cimarron will sell you the snakes for an additional $300.00. I bought a pair on eBay for 25 bucks instead. :confused
snakes.JPG

That's where I'm at right now. I still need to source a pair of boots, the spurs, the hat band, probably a new shirt, the poncho (I'll likely have a go at making one myself,) the wrist guard and the pants belt. I'm not too concerned about the black jeans.

Advice and comments welcome!

Last edited:
Re: The Man With No Name costume (The Good The Bad The Ugly)

If I recall right, the button the the right wrist that's open is always open (or missing/lost, in the movie).

Looks great so far. I don't think that his shirt is a pinstripe. I think it's more of just a plain shirt, and I believe it's grey, I just think it looks blue from the lighting, but I could be wrong.

If I recall right, the button the the right wrist that's open is always open (or missing/lost, in the movie).

That's an interesting fact.

I spent a little time with the vest just now. I trimmed it, and shaped it with an iron. I went to Michaels and bought some leather cord for the tie, and I airbrushed it with watered down brown acrylic paint to give it some age and texture. I'll probably to some black misting on it when I get more black paint as well. But for the most part I'm calling the vest done.

vest5.jpg

Looks great so far. I don't think that his shirt is a pinstripe. I think it's more of just a plain shirt, and I believe it's grey, I just think it looks blue from the lighting, but I could be wrong.

It's definitely a hickory stripe, it's just that the stripes are so small it's hard to see from a distance.

Here is a decent shot of the stripes in the shirt on the sleeve

51900794abb63657828fd9df5056b64b.jpg

And the collar area

871b77798540c5b7dcbad33cc3a9fc9e.jpg

Keep an eye out for 1/2 inch black leather hat bands. There are some out there that look quite good. I took mine apart to take off the decorative ends and buckle and bought a 99 cent Waterbury buckle.

562ea8b1413625a9713049c1e4ed8fdd.jpg

e86f9455c02dde06ac127cc6a042fd41.jpg

Last edited:

I dont like the Baron hats hat, and they dont sell the band seperately, unfortunately.

You can scratch that leather wrist guard off of your list. That is only a For a Few Dollars More piece.

Thanks, I was just thinking about that. Still, it might be nice to have it of I ever get a .45. ;) But you're right, I'll scratch it off.

I still need to source a pair of boots, the spurs, the hat band, probably a new shirt, the poncho (I'll likely have a go at making one myself,) the wrist guard and the pants belt. I'm not too concerned about the black jeans.
This is relevant to my interests.
How do you plan on making that poncho? I've toyed with the idea of weaving one as well for some time now but being completely uninformed about that craft I haven't really dared going through with it yet.
Though building a simple backstrap loom looks rather easy and should most certainly be sufficient for a single poncho...

And concerning replica ponchos I have recently found one for under 100$ that even gives you some choice of colour and is by far the cheapest one I could find anywhere. In case you reconsider fabricating your own, although I would very much look forward to hearing some experience of that.

The quality on that 99 dollar poncho is about what you'd expect for the price. Not very accurate. I dont think the original had the pattern woven in, I was planning on finding some wool with the appropriate color/weight and then applying the pattern with stitch witchery or something. I may buy one as well, but it might be fun to try my own.

Yeah, the cheap poncho isn't really the best, I actually just noticed how the whole neck pattern is completely off. But it's probably the cheapest one to get for someone who's just looking for the general appearance.

I don't know, considering Leone allegedly bought it in a small shop somewhere in Spain I would suspect the pattern to be an actual part of the weave but that's just a guess. I've seen some good replicas with machine stitched patterns though so it's working regardless and your approach is probably much easier and quicker.
As a sucker for acquiring new crafts I might still try hand-weaving my own at some point...

Last edited:

Those cheapie ponchos are okay for a costume that everyone will recognize, but they are too large and too heavy.

Notice the fabric and weight in the following pictures, as well as the seam that is quite noticeable in the first picture.

92e714b1.jpg

ecd1157f.png

I might try sewing a couple old wool blankets together if I can't find suitable wool by the yard. The other tHing tou have to keep in mind is that Clint was 6'4" in his prime, and I'm 6" shorter than that. You could say I have to make a scale model of the poncho, so it looks right on me.

Dbuck, you sound like youve done this costume before, any pictures?

We did a western theme at work last Halloween, so here you go:

293d1e33e966968a26abf55a11566359.jpg

d02214729e58aa90fd842b7e506910df.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back