Finished!
Check out more photos on page 11.

10325215_595175220592067_6515952825852958964_n.jpg

Reference

8578044371_4fef752364_b.jpg

wDGYx2G+-+Imgur.jpg

wgQCTeJ+-+Imgur.jpg

Side

This is the first shot of these fantastic Dwarves, fell in love the second I saw them.
8578046123_69c85c7e48_b.jpg

8579148572_0ce8566d90_b.jpg

Front

8579146822_238c6b6a2a_z.jpg

8579146726_9ea1dc246c_z.jpg

8579146646_b286043ef5_h.jpg

8578043803_f2401d1ed7_z.jpg

8579146382_ed08e52601_z.jpg

8578043173_151f5ea435_b.jpg

Back

8579148048_aa8c482b2f.jpg

8578045373_698a4b0be2.jpg

This one shows the scale maille both as a split skirt and shirt. I'd love to make a scale skirt at some point but that's pretty far down the line. As for the shirt I'll at least be starting with a traditional 4 in 1 maille shirt, since I both know how to do that and have the material. (and need an excuse to make a new one for myself :lol)
8579147966_6c7b2691e2_b.jpg

Cape

This is the only shot I saw the Dwarves wearing capes, they don't even show on the same two Dwarves in other shots. They look digital to me, so perhaps it was just an idea they toyed with that slipped it's way into the shot. Either way, I might make a cape with fur, so here's a great colour to make it.
8578045245_73822b75fd.jpg

--------------------------------------------------

So this is preliminary stages so far. I spent a few hours last night modeling out one of the fantastic helmets found in the Hobbit artbook.

helmetpep_by_gibbtall-d5x8qb9.jpg

Right now I'm slowly turning it into a Pepakura file, but it's my first time making one so it's both slow going and probably not going to be the easiest to build. (and will probably require a lot of personal tweakage during and after building it.)

I plan to, at the very least, use it as a template for building an EVA foam helmet/suit of armour for myself, but would LOVE to pass the file along to someone willing to craft a proper helmet for the purposes of molding. I just don't have the resources or skills to go about it. So let me know if you really want to make one of these and all I'll ask is a spot in the first run of casts :D

Other than that let me know if you're interested in the pep file, I'll need someone to point out all the horrible things I did wrong anyway.

I love the beard guard part of this design, but I'm not sure if I'd want the full length of them. For my foam helmet i'll probably have the eyes+ mustache pieces, and put magnets in them so their removable. The Pep file will have all the beard pieces separated so people can use as many or as little as they want.

Last edited:
Re: The Hobbit - Lonely Mount Dwarf Armour - Helmet Pep

Great! I love hearing encouragement (perantile issues), keeps me interested in the project.

Here is a rough design of what the full suit of armour will be. I was able to mooch some drawings out of my boyfriend, hopefully his excitement about the project and artistic skills will keep me motivated :D I'd love to get working right away but I have a couple things in my path at the moment. Hopefully next week I'll go buy some EVA in the thickness I want, I have a pile of it in my closet but I think it's too thick for the helmet which is where I want to start. The final will have chest armour, this was just a concept.

gibbtalldesign01_by_gibbtall-d5x92ny.jpg

And here is his design for his Human costume (I'm saying he's from the town Smog likes to roast near the mountain, so no one can complain he's not from the movie if we show up to a premier wearing them :p). This is mostly leather, and fur, he likes fur. If I do the fur on my dwarf I'll have it on like a removable traveling cape most likely. My roommate just bought a cow hide, and has started making some leather boxes/pouches, so maybe he'll be able to do this whole costume by the time the last Hobbit rolls around.

beedesign01_by_gibbtall-d5x92p1.jpg

Progress! So I printed out the pep files, and used just the first layer as a mock-up. Found out it was way too small for my bulbous head, but not as much for my room mate's tiny one.

20130316_002500.jpg

20130316_002512.jpg

20130316_005749.jpg

So I printed it out again scaled up and started working with the foam, no decent pictures yet. I'm still working on the dome, which is probably the hardest part :/ I've also got to snag some dremel bits from my dad to clean up the edges.

I will be watching this with great interest. This armor is one of my favorites costumes in the Hobbit, and I am very much considering tackling it as well.

Are you going to put any sort of padding inside the helmet? If so, remember to make allowances for it...

Looking great so far!

Are you going to put any sort of padding inside the helmet? If so, remember to make allowances for it...

Looking great so far!

It'll be made of EVA foam, so it IS padding, heh.

This is my first foam project though, so it there is a lot of trial and error going on. I may end up remaking the helmet if I get the rest done and know how to do it better.

This looks really awesome, it's a helmet I would love to make from scratch. The pep file looks great too, is it public?

It certainly is available. https://www.dropbox.com/s/bbmbibir206er4s/HelmetPep2.pdo Just beware, this is my first pep file, it's currently very poorly unwrapped and much too small. Also the inner walls are fairly jumbled as I was only printing the outer layers. You'll have to do some major tweaking. If anyone makes a casting of one, I may have to grab one from you :3 since it will most likely be superior to anything I end up making, hah. We shall see.

Last edited:

Can't wait to see it done !!
Would love to add it to my collection of projects to do
Keep up the work!!

Added some awesome reference and notes to the first post.

Finally figured out the dome.

2013-03-19+20.02.07.jpg

Oh did I mention I get to be the most colourful Dwarf at the ball? :D I went to buy some thinner foam then what my room mate had, and this stuff seemed like the best choice. Too bad it's the exact same thickness.... So ya, I get a super colourful helmet for now. I've gotten a couple face plate pieces cut too, but they'll need some tweaking and most likely those dremel bits... I think I'll keep working on the back/side for now before doing the top pieces, as much as I want to do them, they'll also need that dremel stuff :/

Re: The Hobbit - Erabor Dwarf Armour - Foam Helmet

Wow this is going to look awesome! Keep it up! I might have to take a stab at your helmet just for fun and just keep going :)

Re: The Hobbit - Erabor Dwarf Armour - Foam Helmet

Getting some work done, got the dremel bits which work like a charm. I'm going to redo these eye pieces, mucked up a couple spots and want to make the eye holes less wide. Also trying to figure out if the mustache is too low? I'll have to wait until I have more of the back brim to see it in context.

2013-03-21+20.16.04.jpg

2013-03-21+20.16.28.jpg

2013-03-21+20.16.12.jpg

Also I fixed the reference pictures in the first post, apparently Dropbox doesn't let you hotlink images? Flickr it is then.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back