The Hobbit - Erebor Dwarf Armour - FINISHED

Re: The Hobbit - Erabor Dwarf Armour - Foam Helmet

On the 3D printing: my only word of caution for buying from shapeways is to make sure you have a buttload of sandpaper on hand. I'd definitely resin coat the outside and then sand the ever loving crap out of it to get rid of the low resolution stepping. Other than that, sounds like a solid plan. I like the design you came up with for it, although I'd watch the topmost angle for breaking. Maybe connect the bottom of the axe head to the handle with a thin strip of material, so there's still the cutout but a bit less torsional flexing. Dat pipe... love it.

On the 3D printing: my only word of caution for buying from shapeways is to make sure you have a buttload of sandpaper on hand. I'd definitely resin coat the outside and then sand the ever loving crap out of it to get rid of the low resolution stepping. Other than that, sounds like a solid plan. I like the design you came up with for it, although I'd watch the topmost angle for breaking. Maybe connect the bottom of the axe head to the handle with a thin strip of material, so there's still the cutout but a bit less torsional flexing. Dat pipe... love it.

Thanks for the advice, I should really go buy some sandpaper, I keep using all my room mates :p I figured I would need to add some sort of wooden or metal rod into the shaft to strengthen it, especially where the handle meets the head. I guess stuffing a glob of epoxy sculpt down its neck would be a good plan too, to strengthen the bend. Boshwan has graciously offered me a chance to use his 3D printer for the axe, which is fantastic! It would be much less cleanup and probably stronger than Shapeways would print it (and a butt load cheaper). It'll be a few weeks before I get it, but I'm in no rush on that part. I'll also be writing an Instructables about it, and it'll get its own thread in the props section.

Thanks for the advice, I should really go buy some sandpaper, I keep using all my room mates :p I figured I would need to add some sort of wooden or metal rod into the shaft to strengthen it, especially where the handle meets the head. I guess stuffing a glob of epoxy sculpt down its neck would be a good plan too, to strengthen the bend. Boshwan has graciously offered me a chance to use his 3D printer for the axe, which is fantastic! It would be much less cleanup and probably stronger than Shapeways would print it (and a butt load cheaper). It'll be a few weeks before I get it, but I'm in no rush on that part. I'll also be writing an Instructables about it, and it'll get its own thread in the props section.

Stronger than Shapeways? Does he have a stereolithograph? Cos those are the coolest 3D printers! (Passes a UV light after each layer, last I checked.) I'll certainly be looking forward to the Instructable.

I'ts an Objet connex 500, which he says is the same that Shapeways uses, but I believe the settings that Shapeways uses is optimized for cost and time, making their material and resolution different.

Hey, how much would I have to pay for you to make me a full erebor dwarf armor foam suit?

Hah! Ummmm, a lot? I'm working really slow and have very little time after work. My roommate MAY be up to it? I'll ask for a ballpark but it would be around $300-$400 worth of time I bet, unless he can do it way faster than me, which I wouldn't doubt.

As for mine so far, I'm not dead, I've gotten a few more hours work the passed week or so.

2013-05-26+02.01.55.jpg

Since this picture I've also added some forehead details, and the "mouth" piece. The mouth piece looks awesome but I'm still debating on what other beard plates to add, the concept art kind of goes down, but I feel like it should go out to the sides a bit more, we'll see.

I've also been growing out my beard, it's already way longer than I've ever had it. Maybe it will be more dwarfish by the time I finish this thing.

SUPER cool!! I know this is getting a paint job, but I love being able to see the detailed shapes because of the various colors!

So here's some new work. Added to the beard guard, did detail on the top, sides and forehead. Also did some more on the neck guard. The back piece will be the same as the sides, the front piece is going to be tough. I made it a lot thicker than it was supposed to be, so I've got to make it up, already designed something for the sides of it, not totally sure what to do with the very front piece.

2013-06-08+17.12.36.jpg

2013-06-08+17.12.27.jpg

2013-06-08+17.13.37.jpg

That's awesome! Could you tell me what scale you used to get it to fit your head? I'm afraid I may get the calculations wrong, being that I'm a noob at pepakura building. Looks awesome, and I can't wait to see it finished!

Is the pepakura file out? I tried going into the one you put up, but it brought me to a dropbox site error screen. Do you think you could send me the file? I'm really interested in trying this. Nice work by the way!

Is the pepakura file out? I tried going into the one you put up, but it brought me to a dropbox site error screen. Do you think you could send me the file? I'm really interested in trying this. Nice work by the way!

I actually removed it from my drop box a bit ago, I'll re-add it when I get a chance tonight, try back tomorrow, hopefully I won't forget. As for scale, it's really hard to say, the file is in the scale that I used for my head, but I modified it heavily once printing out. I really just used the pep print as a template for cutting pieces out, then I refit them based on what fit my head and what I'd already built. The hardest thing is getting the dome done, since everything stems off of that. For the way I ended up doing my dome, you don't need a pep file, it was mostly a single strip around the circumference of my head, than a strip going over the top of my head (either length wise or width wise), than two smaller strips to do the last axis. Than I used triangular pieces heated with a heat gun to fill the rounded "corners." Once you have that, everything else is gravy.

Superb work, Gibbtall!!!!

You will be an impressive dwarf! Love your beard project, too ... beard pics!? :D

All the best!

Thanks everyone for the compliments! I'm nearing completion of the helmet details, still need to figure out what to put on the front crest :/ I'll have final pics sometime next week I hope, then it's time for painting. As for the beard, it's in a constant state of flux between spiffy, scruffy, and crazy. I'm planing on getting a haircut this weekend and will attempt to tame some of the odder spots (and/or pay someone to do it for me) but I'll try to snag a picture before that happens.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back