The Hobbit - Erebor Dwarf Armour - FINISHED

Re: The Hobbit - Erebor Dwarf Armour - Weapons - WIP

Could you detail or mention again your painting technique? Did you seal the foam first? Use plasti-dip? Etc? And you mentioned a dry brush technique. Your finish on the armor is great.
Thx

Thanks :) Here are some crappy-lighting shots of some painted pieces, I've gotten them all done and will be clear-coating them and adding the leather straps tonight.

As for the painting process, this is by far not the best way to do it, but I sprayed 2-3 coats of Plastidip, 1-2 coats of Krylon Brilliant Gold then went in to manually grunge it up. The hand-painting is relatively simple, I just slap on a bunch of black mixed with a bit of Phthalo Green, Phthalo Blue, and Burnt Umber. The black is what I use the most and I randomly rotate between the other colours to give it more depth and the illusion of copper patina. After I do a sizable chunk of glopage, being sure to get it in all of the knooks and crannies of the detail, I wad up some paper towel and wipe it down, depending on how smooth the gold went on and how wet it still is, it'll pull off most of the colour on the top of the detail and flat spots, I use this time to spread the paint around on the flat areas, once the paper towel has a big painty spot it works well to smudge paint. I continue on through the piece till it's all looking about the same. Once it's had some time to dry I go back in to cover up more gold. I usually put too much blues and green on it in the first stage so I stick to black most of the time and blend it in to the "corners" pretty much anywhere that isn't the very peak of the shoulder pad of the center of the bracer, If you check the references on the first page from the movie, he's got a big polished spot on the shoulder but everything around that is dirty, that's the look I was going for. I also take that time to drybrush some black pack on to the detail that got too shiny. I ended up going at all the pieces with some Burnt Siena in random drybrushed blotches, not heavy, just enough to give a bit of colour variation and the look of rust. The final step was covering up all the edges and a bit of the inside with black, I only did one coat so there is still a bit of gold showing through, saved me having to TRY to make it look more realistic, heh.

The shot of the glove was to show how the leather was a bit too clean and bright for the armour, so my leather guy tried soaking the straps in coffee and it did the trick, the final pieces will be darker and more worn.

The shot of the boot is actually to show the solution I came up with for the toe caps, I added a stretchy strap around the back of the boot and under the toe, I might add a thumb tack to the sole to make sure the toe strap doesn't slip off but it's pretty sturdy and the black straps on black leather hide really well.

20140824_012505.jpg

20140824_232622.jpg

Re: The Hobbit - Erebor Dwarf Armour - Weapons - WIP

Suit up!! So I got the leather straps attached to everything but the shoulders, they'll be done soon though. This is terrible lighting but I couldn't resist putting it all on. This photo is still missing the skirt I made but was soaking in coffee at the time, and the wrist guards that I've since attached. I attached the chest piece straps a bit too close together so there's a bit of a gap near the back, but it still feels really good to wear. I'm amazed I was able to get so much done in the past couple weeks. I'll be taking some better photos tonight with better lighting. Side note, anyone know if I'd be able to get over the boarder with my large axe? It's too big to fit in a normal luggage bag...

OMlDDYuyAZL-CRqVfHZ9HZam98wCUmEeXH454AajZ7U=w491-h874-no

These last pics of the armour piled up like Smaug's hoard are stunning! The bronze finish is totally convincing - looks exactly like worn and weathered metal.

Now I have another project to start on....

Not the best of pictures but I'm still proud of it :D got to meet Scott Kurtz at his table at PAX Prime, and he LOVED my armour! He both recognized it and loved the craftsmanship, even wanted to wear the helmet. This makes me pretty damn happy! For anyone who doesn't know him, he's the creator of PVP Online and Table Titans, and he also plays my spirit animal, Binwin Bronzebottom in the Acquisitions Incorporated live DnD campaign, which I also got to see in person.

j0UFxMVU1_1miSfUvUcRIPHQyNWr7Xtd1OYRK2D7JUc=w601-h875-no
20140830_112901.jpg

Must admit, its an awesome suit of armor sir. I was thinking of doing something similar, but more bits and pieces of thror, thrain, and the moria battle armor, all rolled into one.
Its not exactly canon, but thats okay i think

As usual, thanks so much for the compliments :D love feeing my narcissism.

So I WAS doing the Hobbit Fan Contest, in an attempt to be flown out to New Zealand to watch The Battle of Five Armies with Peter Jackson before anyone else... but I missed the deadline, since I didn't notice it ended on tuesday at 3 AM eastern, thinking I'd have the day to post my youtube link into my contest profile... Oh well I guess. The video quality isn't great, but you guys can see what it's like when I move in it, and hear it too.

I'm also doing a photoshoot this weekend, so yay!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not send your video and pics to weta workshops and see what they say? Maybe they will get you in or some swag? What do you have to lose?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back