Sherlock Holmes (BBC) costume

Risu

Master Member
Finally splitting off into my own thread so I don't clutter up the main thread with my build. Let's dive in.

Shoes: For the time being, I'll be using the Stacy Adams boots I bought for my Doctor Who costume. They're not perfect, but they have a similar look to them and low top shoes hurt my ankles, so buying accurate shoes would be a bit of a waste.

DSC03158_zpscecfe85d.jpg

Scarf: I originally trusted the Sherlockology thing and bought a plain blue scarf as per their photo of "the real scarf". Turns out that was completely false info, so I decided to alter the scarf to be more accurate. The process will include lightening the blue with Rit color remover, fraying and bleaching the tassels, and using fabric paint to add the grey plaid stripes. I'll be starting that process soon, but here's my starting point.

DSC03266_zps3ccdac39.jpg

Shirt: While watching, one particular shirt caught my eye. Sherlock wears (I think) nothing but Dolce and Gabanna shirts, this being one of them. This is the shirt he wore in the pool scene (Series 1 and 2) and in Hounds, and probably some other places, too. I recreated the fabric print with Spoonflower, then I found a cheap D&G shirt on ebay and took the buttons off of it. In my search I also found the exact same design of shirt in other colors. It's the D&G "Gold" series. His purple shirt is identical as well. I used pictures of those other shirts to copy the details and my pattern is finished. I'll sew that together once I get caught up on some other stuff.

DSC03291_zps69b4d046.jpg

DSC03292_zpsdeb205f5.jpg

DSC03293_zpsa9736c6f.jpg

Suit: I was originally going to buy a cheap suit at H&M, but after going in last week and trying the stuff on, there's no way I can justify spending any amount of money on that garbage. Express is the next tier, but it's a bit out of my price range, so I'll be picking up some fabric in LA and making it myself. I found a really close match fabric to the suit he wears when he meets Irene Adler.

Coat: The biggest part without a doubt. I've posted these pictures in the other thread already. I had the buttons 3D printed and molded and cast them. The first set were prototypes, and the next one I'll be attempting to make them a more accurate dark brown with a better gold paint.

DSC03006.jpg

DSC03012.jpg

And the fabric I'll be using, unless I find something dead on before then.

DSC03220_zps19dcfe80.jpg

DSC03224_zpsa760a6cc.jpg

I've got a coat pattern already made that has most of the details already spot on for the Sherlock coat except for the back. With a little tweaking I think it'll turn out perfectly.

Awesome stuff Risu, can't wait for it all to be put together. I find that high-top boots tend to give me blisters. Are the Stacy Adams comfortable?

They're not the most comfortable boots I own, but they're not bad. They get a little unpleasant after about 4-5 hours.

Great work.

H&M suits at the moment aren't great, but sometimes you can get good ones there. Also, for the budget Holmes costumer, I noticed that there is a cheap wine-coloured Mossimo shirt at Target. Looks the part.

I shop at express regularly, I'm going to use one of their wine colored spread collared shirts, since I have one already anyway. Everything in the series is very slim fitted, and express has many fitted and extra fitted options for shirts and suiting.

It may be a tad on the pricey side, but express is cheaper than my usual Calvin Klein attire, and besides, the great thing about this costume is that it's suitable for normal wear as well.

That being said, I've never seen anyone make a suit from scratch, I hope you document it in detail!

I'll do my best. I've got a pair of pants that I wear all the time that I'm eagerly waiting to tear/fall apart so I can make a pattern out of them. I've got a half finished blazer pattern as well. My goal for the whole costume is early July, so I've got my work cut out for me.

Been working on other things for a long time. Still not ready to come back to this costume, but I did make new molds for the buttons. These ones will be cast off an original Belstaff button.

Awesome stuff Risu, can't wait for it all to be put together. I find that high-top boots tend to give me blisters. Are the Stacy Adams comfortable?

I'll add my opinion on that. I have a pair. They are good enough comfortable. Not way uncomfortable. A couple problems to note. They only come in full sizes and feet don't. I got a 10 and added inserts. The leather is cheep and (at least mine) feel like the outside leather would crack and flake right out of the box. I have put a LOT of leather cream on them trying to give them more life (with no luck) or at least to preserve what they have. To me they feel like costume shoes, but I am spoiled by Aldens which I first purchased for an Indiana Jones get-up.Also, they may run a little thin. My 10's on my 9 1/2 foot are just the correct width. On the good side, they are easy to put on.

Those buttons look awesome. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the costume. Sherlock is one of the costumes I've wanted to go but avoided due to how much it would cost to get everything together.

Ray, I agree they're definitely not Aldens. That being said, the Stacy Adams boots aren't as bad as they seem. I've worn mine a good bit and they're still in good shape. A friend of mine has a pair of the brown ones and they're REALLY worn in and still look good. The leather is definitely not high end, but they do hold up surprisingly well. As for comfort, they're good for short periods of time. After a few hours, they start to make my arches hurt.

that button looks a little like a Season 3 button.

I too have owned a pair of those Stacy's for a Who costume.

They're pretty sturdy, and look good enough if you don't wanna break the bank.

Last edited:
just for the record, that button being used to make a mold, is in fact an original button removed from an original "Milford" by Belstaff of the same manufacture year as the 1 worn by the BBC's Sherlock beginning in season 1 and following seasons.

I'll add my opinion on that. I have a pair. They are good enough comfortable. Not way uncomfortable. A couple problems to note. They only come in full sizes and feet don't. I got a 10 and added inserts. The leather is cheep and (at least mine) feel like the outside leather would crack and flake right out of the box. I have put a LOT of leather cream on them trying to give them more life (with no luck) or at least to preserve what they have. To me they feel like costume shoes, but I am spoiled by Aldens which I first purchased for an Indiana Jones get-up.Also, they may run a little thin. My 10's on my 9 1/2 foot are just the correct width. On the good side, they are easy to put on.

Definitely accurate. Mine flaked and cracked too, I was worried that maybe I bought some counterfeits on a bunk ebay store.

I have just received a set of RISU's Sherlock Coat buttons. I am the owner of the original button from an original Belstaff coat from which the copy was made. I gave him an undamaged, inside button. I want to let it be known that his copies are perfect. absolutely indistinguishable from the original. The color match is dead on. I was able to have him drill the holes and add the yellow coloring bit as well (I don't know if he typically provides that service) and If he hadn't separated the original button from the others, I would not have been able to tell them apart. I have provided measurements for a lot of people on this forum who are looking to reproduce this fine coat. According to my Belstaff source, the buttons were made specially for that coat and neither of them are being made anymore. I highly recommend RISU's buttons to anyone seeking to match the original as if it were straight off Sherlock s own Millford.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back