ULTRON for Pepakura ** 04/11 paper unfold added!**

Been working on some major upgrades to my Ultron, specifically the helmet.

First off, I had it sent out to get 3D printed on a Zcorp 650, via TheObjectShop. The helmet barely just fits inside the printer dimensions. Cleanup and up-poly of the model took a lot longer than I'd like to admit, but it was well worth the effort.

The Zcorp 650 prints in a plaster type of material, so the print has a very fine, sand-like texture - and that wouldn't do at all for our final version. So I set about cleaning up the surface doing the ole prime-and-sand. There were also some pits and other small problems that I had to use spot putty on. This took about 2 weeks mostly non-stop.

After about 5 passes, I was satisfied with the master. The transition from the fresh print to the perfectly smooth, shiny surface is dramatic. Now we're ready to mold it. 3 days and about 25 hours of work later, we have some of my best molds yet.

So far I've pulled 3 test casts out of it, and none of them are really satisfactory. The first one was far too thin in the back, but I hit it with a quick coat of silver spraypaint and now it lives on the mannequin in the workshop. The other 2 are a bit more passable, but not exactly what I would call satisfactory.

In the meantime, my friend whose costume this is has been working on upgrading the electronics. In between screwing around in the shop that is.

He made a completely custom 8x24 LED matrix which we will install into the mouth, which is controlled by an Arduino. Once the helmet is finished we will install that and I will program it to have a randomized, "glitter" type effect. But we're also going to have a party mode where it will scroll text.

2 weeks until Dragon Con and we are nearly finished with the upgrades. All that's left is to pull a satisfactory casting from the mold, finish it up and paint it, and install the already completed electronics package.

laellee - I tried emailing you. Give me your shipping address, I really want to send you one of these things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my foam ultron helmet turned out not to bad still have a few things left to do image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Someone accidentally bumped their bag into it and scuffed up the jaw on Friday or something. =\ We would have lights already installed if I didn't have to fix that.

The paint is unreal though. You can see your reflection in it.

Words cannot express how perfect that is. Excellent work!

Thank you! I am extremely impressed with how well the sculpt came out, the hard edges are really sharp and angular, which gives it a perfect look. I am looking into getting one chromed as well, I saw someone with an chrome Ant-Man helmet at Dragon Con and the result was incredible.

Just thought I would share my build so far

Are you using a laser cutter? The cut edges have what looks like char from laser cutting foam. If so, in my experience you should give them a quick surface sand (200 grit is fine) to knock off the seared edge. Otherwise the edges really don't want to glue together very well.

Yes I lasered, I could of removed most of the lines from the pep but if I'm totally honest, I had no idea at the time if they where actually needed.
Hind site is beautiful thing .
but... This build took 6 hours (12 anti fatigue mats) to cut and assemble.
my very first build.

Awesome! Laser cutting foam really is a huge game changer. What type/wattage laser are you using, and what is your feed rate?

In general, foam builds can do away with most of the interior cut folds - IE the intersection lines in the chest. If you take a look at my Ultron 5 build, I made the chest/pecs in 2 sections, one for each side.

I'm new to this kind of art. I saw this thread and fell in love. I was wondering how kind of items do I need for this project. I got the time for this kind of project. Just need help on what items is needed for this project.

I'm new to this kind of art. I saw this thread and fell in love. I was wondering how kind of items do I need for this project. I got the time for this kind of project. Just need help on what items is needed for this project.

You'll Probably need about 2 Rolls of This Stuff which is 120cm by 240cm anti fatigue EVA Foam floor matting. You can get it for cheaper than that if you look around a bit.

Glue of some kind. Hot Glue and Glue Gun. Contact Cement is probably better. Turp to disolve the cement if you make a mistake.

About 4-6 disposible Boxcuters with the snapable blades.

To seal the foam for painting you'll Probably need about 3 layers of PVA glue followed by 2 coats of waterd down PVA glue . . . (NO FRAKING WOOD GLUE, You try and bend the piece with wood glue when it's dry and it will crack.)

Spray a layer of Plasti-Dip or Liquid Electrical Tape to seal the PVA glue.

Spray with Silver or Crome Finish Paint.

And Finaly a clear coat of something like liquid Enamal to give it that final shine.

Hope that help Yoshi.

To seal the foam for painting you'll Probably need about 3 layers of PVA glue followed by 2 coats of waterd down PVA glue . . . (NO FRAKING WOOD GLUE, You try and bend the piece with wood glue when it's dry and it will crack.)

Spray a layer of Plasti-Dip or Liquid Electrical Tape to seal the PVA glue.

You want to use *either* PVA *or* plastidip. You don't want to use both. In my experience, plastidip is better for longer term as it doesn't flake off over time, but it is more expensive initially. It also takes bright coat metallic paints (like I used with my Ultron) a lot better than PVA.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back