Tomb raider (vg) (2013)

Jeyl

Master Member
As I look back to last year when I talked about this new Tomb Raider game, I thought it'd be appropriate to quote a post I made in anticipation of this game.

This game looks to be a very, VERY mature game. There is no way it's going to get off with a Teen rating. Just look at what's going on. Recently tortured and executed victims. Brutal action with Lara getting impaled, feet caught in a bear trap, almost being burned alive, captured and almost raped. LOTS OF RED COLORED BLOOD covering Lara head to toe. This is like the Resident Evil 4 of Tomb Raider.

After downloading and playing the game for a good three hours last night, I can rest assured knowing that my predictions were right on the money. Tomb Raider is indeed the RE4 of the franchise, and it's AWESOME.

Gone are those nightmarish controls that always turned me away from most the Tomb Raider games, and now we have a very responsive third person perspective that controls like a dream. To add more diverse fun into the mix, Lara is now an skill based character who earns skills through experience. And even though you can spent your points to master a skill, you have to unlock an entire tier of skills in order to unlock abilities. For instance, I was disappointed when I found out you couldn't use your mountain pick axe as a weapon, but once I had tier 1 of survival down pat, the ability to use my pick axe as a melee weapon was unlocked. Nice touch.

And the enemy AI is one of the most fulfilling experiences I haven't seen in a long time. These bad guys not only take cover really well, they are a lot more aware of the environment they're in. For example, there's this one enemy unit who is decked from head to toe in flares and carries a gasoline tank on his back. He throws flaming cocktails at Lara in order to drive her out of cover. If you can get a good shot the moment he's holding the cocktail, he will drop it, catch on fire, burn alive and his comrades will actually notice and steer clear of him.

The game is also beautiful to behold. The weather effects, the distant locations, the foliage, the animal behavior and even the fire effects look natural and impressive.

If there's one downside that will hinders this game any is that the camera work is shakier than a cup full of Mexican Jumping Beans. I almost had a hard time registering what was going on and where the characters were in proximity to each other. AND IT NEVER STOPS. Scenes where characters are not moving and simply talking to each other, scenes with Lara climbing a long ladder, and even Lara sitting down. I hope someone creates a Mod that either tones the camera movement down or gets rid of it entirely, because the visuals are way too pretty to have to struggle to see what it actually looks like. There are cutscenes that are shown from the viewpoint of a camera being held that are less shaky than what we see in-game.

And do you remember the M Rating? This game delivers that in spades.

There's a moment where Lara is knocked out and taken by some super natural Guardian giant and is left hanging with a bunch of naked, disemboweled bodies. The sight of their guts glistening out with both bright and dark blood is a sight I haven't winced at since finding all those stacked up naked corpses in Amnesia. It's really, really gruesome.

And before I go, I would just like to say that Lara is Bad Luck incarnate. Everything she touches seems to make her situation worse. Crawling through a tunnel? Move quickly before a cave in! Climbing a rope? It's about to break loose! Walking on the wing of a plane? It's about to rip apart and fall off the cliff! Just lit a torch? There's a violent gust of wind that blows it out! Need to walk across a tree? It's loosing grip with the other side of the cliff! You found your friends? Well....

I just got it in the mail today. The little art book that came with it is nice and makes me think i don't need the big 25.00 one as this one is packed with art. I also got 2 free DLC from the scavenger hunt site, sadly the last 12 parts were if you had a smart phone so i didn't get the other free stuff.

I got the DX Survival box set yesterday along with the " DX cheat book" (only got it for the necklace), art book coming soon since the small one that came with the game looked to only be in the European release.

I found the control button configuration to be totally different from all the other games I have played on my PS3 so getting use to them slows things down.

I've only played about 2 hours so far.

I never saw the cheat book. I know the strategy guide had the necklace but i couldn't justify the price for it. I know with The Last of Us the deluxe comes with a copy of the full sized art book included, i kind of wish they'd done that with this but i prefer the smaller art books like this came with. They're easier to store and spare a lot of wasted pages on stories and such when all you want is art.

Been on board with Lara since the beginning and the old 3DFX video card days.
Only a few levels in, so far so good. I play on PC. I couldn't just buy the game in stores, I prefer to have it in hand. Had to download. Is the PC gamer doomed???

Been on board with Lara since the beginning and the old 3DFX video card days.
Only a few levels in, so far so good. I play on PC. I couldn't just buy the game in stores, I prefer to have it in hand. Had to download. Is the PC gamer doomed???

Only if you want stuff that's only available on console, there's still a good bit of RPG action and smaller developers on PC just not going to be mega big games like this in the future sadly. It'll be home to franchises that the game companies don't think will sell on consoles but will still make them cash.

I've switched over to the PS3 because of the need to download or unlock the PC games.
Really irritating.
I picked up the TR 3 game pack since they never made a patch for the crashing problem in Legend.

The PC version of the new game does have way better graphics.

I've switched over to the PS3 because of the need to download or unlock the PC games.
Really irritating.
I picked up the TR 3 game pack since they never made a patch for the crashing problem in Legend.

The PC version of the new game does have way better graphics.

"TressFX" enabled for her hair seems to be the new benchmark.

*Finished*

Yes! Yes! YES YES YES YES! That was awesome!

I never say this, but bring out the DLC! I want more!

Everyone STOP! Jeyl likes a game! :lol ;)

I haven't gotten it yet, but I saw Conan's review and it looks cool. They showed her getting impaled through the head and I have to say that's the most graphic thing I've seen in game!

Thanks for the review!

I was a little nervious seeing the new game trailers, as Ive been a life long fan of the series which has had its ups and downs. I really enjoyed the last three games, and a little upset at first when I heard it was a remake. The M rating also worried me as I always found Tomb Raider franchise to be a more light hearted Indiana Jones type adventure, except with boobs. I hope now the game will be taken more seriously by a wider audience and leave a mark on the gaming world that it deserves.

Thanks for the review!

I was a little nervious seeing the new game trailers, as Ive been a life long fan of the series which has had its ups and downs. I really enjoyed the last three games, and a little upset at first when I heard it was a remake. The M rating also worried me as I always found Tomb Raider franchise to be a more light hearted Indiana Jones type adventure, except with boobs. I hope now the game will be taken more seriously by a wider audience and leave a mark on the gaming world that it deserves.

I'm just looking at it as an origins story rather then a remake.

It seems to be called both a reboot and an origins story so it's hard to tell. They'll probably go for lighthearted and have it be a bit more like the Uncharted games if this does well. Someone says it feels like uncharted.

I picked it up a couple of days ago and I think I'm about 75% through the game.
I really do like it. It's fun, intense, beautiful, etc. but to me, it's just not a tomb raider game. To me, tomb raider is elaborate puzzles and traps, Indiana Jones stuff. This one is basically a button masher and a third person shooter with the ocasional "hidden tomb" that might have a simple puzzle in it. Don't get me wrong, I really am enjoying it, and I like the fresh reboot, it's just not Tomb Raider to me.

Aww. I was hoping I could start a new game with all my skills, weapons and most of the non-story progressive upgrades. I guess that's one element that didn't cary over from RE4. :(

Maybe there will be cheat mods. :O

My 2 gripes are 1: all those amazing wrecks at the start and you can't explore any of them, i loved the ww2 era stuff and 2: the stupid button mashing to escape stuff. I was never a huge fan of the original games and i think this could lead to good things. Heck any sequels could play more like the originals, it just feels a lot like Uncharted though at this point. Then again back when the original Tomb Raider was out there was nothing else like it.

I picked it up a couple of days ago and I think I'm about 75% through the game.
I really do like it. It's fun, intense, beautiful, etc. but to me, it's just not a tomb raider game. To me, tomb raider is elaborate puzzles and traps, Indiana Jones stuff. This one is basically a button masher and a third person shooter with the ocasional "hidden tomb" that might have a simple puzzle in it. Don't get me wrong, I really am enjoying it, and I like the fresh reboot, it's just not Tomb Raider to me.

The most amazing thing about Tomb Raider was the completely unexpected things that awaited you. No cookie cutter events either.

My favorite moment was when I felt the ground shake and, lo and behold, a T-Rex is coming at me! And the options I had to kill him were great! Let the raptor and him go at it or stick in a hole and shotgun his face off! Or run away:eek

Sadly the old tomb raider just wouldn't sell, kids these days don't like the unexpected. Though if anyone under 18 is playing this game their parents need beaten with a stick but that said i have no doubt the future games will keep getting better. This is just her first adventure after all. That said the game is visually gorgeous, they put so much detail into some of the vehicles and you barely get to see them. I really wanted to explore the ww2 planes more the history buff that i am, though i'm not sure why there are only US bombers and no japanese planes. the journals you find from over the years is also a really nice touch.

I'm really loving the game so far. Yes, it's not the "traditional" Tomb Raider, but honestly, I won't want to go back to playing those. I loved 1 and 2, but 3was bleh, and Angel of Darkness was so very bad that I sold it after playing it for a few hours. Legend was pretty good, but honestly, nothing spectacular or memorable.

I agree that it feels a bit like Uncharted, and I could do without the QTE sequences, but I genuinely feel for Lara in this game so far, and it's just so very fun to play.

I can't wait to finish it, and maybe for the sequel, we can see this reenvisioned Lara going on her first real tomb exploration.

I actually went overboard on the different editions of the game... Stupid collector's mentality... :facepalm:lol

20130306183202475.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back