ALIEN Weyland Containment Case (inspired by Adam Savage)

Valor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been super-inspired by Adam's latest Tested videos where he builds and weathers some beautiful cases. I especially loved his Bladerunner case. It;s a beautiful non-canon piece that totally honors the BR universe.

Videos are here is you haven't seen them:
One Day Builds: Adam Savage Demonstrates Weathering Tricks - Tested

One Day Builds: Adam Savage Makes a Blade Runner Blaster Carrying Case - Tested

So, I set out to create my own non-canon case from a movie I love (ALIEN). I also wanted to use the project to push my weathering techniques to make an original piece that looks authentic to the ALIEN universe.

Here's the final product. It is a biological specimen containment case used on the Nostromo and ships of that era. This case was used to collect and transport alien biological specimens – under a strict quarantine. This case was abandoned in the bowels of the Nostromo after the alien samples were collected.

The main case is a old plastic military surplus case found at a surplus store. It's big, (18" tall) and has beautiful character. Bonus is much of the "weathering" is done for me.

The graphics are a combination of painted graphics done with frisket, and labels printed out on a laser printer. The fonts and graphics are based on known Alien/Weyland graphics with a bit Promethius thrown in for good measure. My favorite is the green winged-figure Weyland Megacorp label I found online. Following Adam's lead I set to scuff, scrape, sand, stain and age every label. The entire case has been scraped, stained and treated with several washed of acrylics bringing out every detail in the white plastic surface.

Undo the rusted butterfly latches and you'll find four cataloged containment cylinders inside. The cylinders were created from PVC parts. Similar aging and graphics were used on the cylinders.

The end result is immensely rewarding. It feels so REAL! And it was a fairly simple and quick project. Thanks, Adam for the inspiration.

Last edited:
Re: ALIEN Containment Case inspired by Adam Savage

Ah really nice!

Try carrying that through the airport some time :)

Damn. That. Is. PRETTY.
Now I feel like doing something similar too =D
Only thing that bugs me is that the label reads "Weyland Corp" while, AFAIK, it was Weland-Yutani already in the Alien too (I think it was spelled "Weylan-Yutani" on some screen, without the d.) But even then, that is B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L.

_A

ALIEN Containment Case inspired by Adam Savage

Yep it's simply my preference for the Weyland logo over the Weyland-Yutani logo. Plus, all we know is that "sometime after Promethius", Weyland acquired Yutani. So it's plausible that these cases were still in circulation. Plus ... I just like it better:)

Last edited:

That's a very good point, considering that Nostromo propably wasn't all that new a ship, and could be issued with older equipment.

I take it back, I have nothing bad to say about it =D

_A

Somebody should make a little dinosaur cage like the one that holds a compsognathus in Jurassic Park 2.

You sure that's not screen used? You picked up some deep background props didn't you? ;) Excellent work!!!! That video is inspiring, isn't it? So is your build!

That looks fantastic. But why on earth did you open one of those cylinders. Who knows what you have unleashed :eek

Dude that is awesome. I check tested pretty much every day, although i'd pretty much bet that almost every other member here does too. Adam Savage is just blindingly awesome

Not engraved at all. Printed out on a color printer with a piece of plexiglass over the top.

Simple, cheap.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back