Hannibal TV Series..

Let's just see if the series can make it through 5 seasons...

It's on NBC, so I'm not holding my breath. Right now it is getting worse ratings than reruns of Elementary, and lower ratings than Awake had.

I like the show, but it is really missing a mystery aspect since we already know Hannibal's story and if they keep to a "serial killer of the week" format to drive the series we'll have seen a lot of other monsters long before we get to Lecter being revealed.

It's on NBC, so I'm not holding my breath. Right now it is getting worse ratings than reruns of Elementary, and lower ratings than Awake had.

I like the show, but it is really missing a mystery aspect since we already know Hannibal's story and if they keep to a "serial killer of the week" format to drive the series we'll have seen a lot of other monsters long before we get to Lecter being revealed.

I think they are going to catch on to him pretty quickly.

I agree that this may be a one or two season series. If you've read the novels you know where it's all going.

Yes we know where it's going, but getting there is half the fun! lol

We all know he is a cannibal. We all know Robin Hood shoots arrows, but I think they will keep making movies about him because he is an interesting character with an interesting story, and the same goes for Hannibal. I don't mind seeing another actor give his take on the character. Maybe they put a little spin on the story.

i wasnt expecting to like it, but i heard good things and gave it a shot, watched all 3 episodes back to back tonight, it was good! im looking foreward to more.

- - - Updated - - -

i will say, the local cops seem to be doing a **** poor job. they have the house blocked off from reporters and yet somehow, the redhead, AND the girls brother both managed to get through them without being noticed? really?

I have been really enjoying this show and that is a rare thing for me! I know many see Anthony Hopkins as THE Hannibal, but I have to say, Mads Mikkelsen is absolutely amazing and far more creepy than Hopkins over-the-top performance. Seeing how closely he works with the people we see in Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs is truly disturbing and would have to make for a very bad and terrifying life after his incarceration. How could you ever trust anyone?

I think it is a shame there isn't more talk about this show... :(

I love this show but the last episode felt so cheap to me, I know it's all based on characters from Red Dragon and Silence of the lambs and everything but the whole absolute rip off of silence of the lambs really fell flat to me, completely. I didn't like the last episode in the slightest.

Ok so I caught up on all six episodes (hunted down the unaired fourth episode before I found out it was on iTunes) in the past day or so. I wasn't going to watch it because I thought they were just going for a prequel to the other movies instead of just doing a flat out redo and I thought that changing around characters' race/gender so much wouldn't work because, while I normally don't really care about race/gender-bending a character, if you're trying to match another continuity it can get a little strange.

Anyway, once I found out it was a whole other take on the story and caught a few minutes of one of the episodes, I figured I'd give it a shot, got addicted, and rushed through them all at once. I've liked pretty much all the movies so far (aside from Hannibal Rising, which I haven't seen because by all accounts it's not worth bothering with) and read the first two books so I'm pretty familiar with any and all source material they could possibly be drawing from so far. Taking that into consideration, I have to say that while I really like it on its own merits so far, it's relying on references to things that are supposedly going to happen in the future so much that I can't see it going according to what I've heard they have planned without things getting really repetitive. There have been a couple of references so far to the Tooth Fairy's whole "do you see?" shtick, Will's hallucination of the Angelmaker saying he could help with Will's "becoming", the way Anna Chlumsky's character figures out the Chesapeake Ripper's identity... Not to mention all the other simpler references that don't necessarily have to affect the story in the future but are just there as kind of in-jokes for people who know the other iterations of the story. Things like Eddie Izzard's whole mannerisms of Hopkins/botched voice of Cox impression, a shot or two in the Angelmaker episode, etc... That combined with all the other things I've either noticed so far and forgot to type up here or just plain didn't catch at all and I think it's all just a bit much. I'd rather see what the creative team on the show posits should have organically happened before Red Dragon and have it all be satisfying on its own story-wise without all these references to earlier material. That way, once they do come across trodden ground they can mess with it or leave it unchanged as much as they want without worrying about "what have we already mined for earlier episodes?" and things can unfold in whatever way works best, whether that means fidelity to source material or changes made because a (hopefully) better idea has occurred to the writers of those episodes.

Aside from that, I think it's a brilliantly written, beautifully shot and wonderfully acted show and I'd love to see it be on air long enough to actually give a new take on some of the other parts of Hannibal's story that have already been seen in a visual medium. I'll definitely either try and catch it when it airs or at least DVR it to watch later.

Has anyone still been following this series? I've been addicted to this series from the start!

I was wondering if anyone has noticed the hidden signs in the episodes yet.

I noticed in "Amuse-Bouche" in one of the scenes above the pharmacist there is a sign on the wall behind him and in one shot the top on the letters are cut off revealing a slightly morbid sentence.

Also one episode had a license plate,part of it was "481" or "four ate one" right after a scene were Lecter had house guests over.

Also I never made the connection about the stag that guides Will in his hallucinations/nightmares, and the fact that a stag statue has always been in Hannibals office (he kills a certain person with it)

There's a lot more,but I didn't want to let out spoilers for those that haven't watched them all yet.

I'm loving it so far. It feels a lot like a Kubrick movie. I like the way they're keeping the focus on Graham, and the whole defective detective schtick. He makes a perfect camouflage for Hannibal - everyone's treading on eggshells around their intense, hypersensitive profiler, so Hannibal's frigid, oily inhumanity goes unnoticed. He's just a stuffy foreigner in the background of Will's big dissolution drama, because compared to Will, everyone is cool as a shark.

It seems like they're trying to get the show banned before it comes to term, though. Stations were already refusing to air it on account of all the vulgar, meaty displays, and it seems like they responded to the complaints by increasing the steaks (HERHERHER). Last week's . . . monument was something I never thought I'd see on network television.

Yeah,I was amazed with what they have been able to get away with on tv with this show. It definitely does not feel toned down for television.

Mads Mikkelsen just plays such a great character!

Still amazed at how little love this show is getting here. I still think it is the best series I have seen in at least a decade.

I think it's coming together very well. At first, Will uses his super powers to recreate the crime in his mind, and you're like "That was easy" case closed, but it's not that as much as it's Hannibal being able to stay one step ahead and play them all. I enjoy seeing him weasel out of things every week, more than I like seeing Will go at it. I think Hannibal needs to create a new scapegoat to take attention off him and keep Will in check.

I am struggling with this series being able to go on for more than a season. The last episode was absolutely chilling, and without violence!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back