Cylon Raider Mk 4

fistius

Hi guys, thought I would post some pics of my latest efforts. Here is (according to the Starship Schematics Database), a Mk 4 Cylon Raider. It began life as the old Monogram Raider, which I had scratchbuilt several parts on, to make it look a little more like the screen versions. Then of course I picked up a studio scale Cylon Raider, making the Monogram version redundant. It lay in it's box for months, destined to never be finished, then one day I found the Mk 4 design....... The wings are sheet styrene, the fuselage is shallower and I have scratchbuilt the nose sensor, new canopy, engine vanes etc. I just need to attach the wings, put a skin on the big gaps at the front of the fuselage, then fill and sand. Should be ready to paint soon. What do you think so far?? Cheers, Chris

Advanced Cylon Raider
http://photobucket.com/albums/d122/fistius...Cylon%20Raider/

Very cool. Where did you find the design for the Mk4 Raider? I've never heard of that before. Definitely can see where it's a transitional model, but what is the source material?

Originally posted by JediG60racer@Dec 8 2005, 10:02 PM
Very cool.  Where did you find the design for the Mk4 Raider?  I've never heard of that before.  Definitely can see where it's a transitional model, but what is the source material?
[snapback]1131753[/snapback]​

Hi, the design comes from the Starship Schematic Database. I was going to do the AB Raider from Galactica 1980, but saw this design and thought it was way cool. Griff has said the design is also found in a comic. Definately unique though. Cheers, Chris

It appeared in the "Rob Lefield Presents: Battlestar Galactica". I saw it a couple of years ago in a comic shop. I caught a glimpse as a guy was looking at the issue and I was sort of looking over his shoulder. Unfortunatley, it was the only copy and the guy ended up buying it and I've not seen one since, tho admit that I haven't searched eBay.

Ah, yes! One of my favorites. This design, IIRC, came from a Chris Scalf short of BSG, as mentioned by Griffworks:

Rob Liefeld Presents: Battlestar Galactica Special Edition
Chris Scalf & Rob Liefeld - 1996

...WAY predating the new series, but it is possible that they took some basic design elements of that one to make the new raider. I have the comic buried somewhere, and I can try to find it. It was only in a few frames in one book. In the meantime, enjoy the schematic - I called it a "Reconnaissance Raider" when I made it at the time. It was drawn in Adobe PhotoShop by using the standard raider schematic as a baseline, which I modified to match the airbrushed artwork of the Scalf version:
http://shipschematics.net/bsg/images/cylon/raider_cylon_recon.jpg

And for those who are curious what the fore-mentioned AB Raider looks like, here's the link to that as well, also drawn by me using parts of the original raider schematics and using a really crappy VCR with freeze-frame:
http://shipschematics.net/bsg/images/cylon/abfighter_cylon.jpg

Great work, BTW, Fistius. You are definitely doing the design justice!

Last edited:
Thanks guys, you're making me blush!!! More pics soon, it has it's primer coat on and I have done some pre-shading. I will do some more painting in the next few weeks.

137th Gebirg, wow, you did those blueprints up? They are awesome! I blew them up to the scale of the Monogram raider and went from there. I have never seen the comic it appears in. Any chance someone could scan them?

Cheers, Chris

Thanks guys, you're making me blush!!! More pics soon, it has it's primer coat on and I have done some pre-shading. I will do some more painting in the next few weeks.

137th Gebirg, wow, you did those blueprints up? They are awesome! I blew them up to the scale of the Monogram raider and went from there. I have never seen the comic it appears in. Any chance someone could scan them?

Cheers, Chris

Yup. I have to dig through my comic archive. Once I find it, I'll ImageShack it and post here. I'm glad those schematics came in useful. Always nice to see one of my creations (or, at least, my re-creation of someone else's creation in this instance) realized in real life.

Now if you made a model of my Pulsar-class Gunstar, I would be REALLY impressed! ;)

Stay tuned...

Ask and ye shall receive. There are also some good scenes of a new Colonial fast shuttle. Understood about the Tiger Destroyer. I have a soft spot in my heart for that design as well. Enjoy!

00coverhe4.jpg

01reconge8.jpg

02reconsr2.jpg

03reconlc9.jpg

04reconbx0.jpg

05reconav6.jpg

06recontt9.jpg

Ooooooooooooooooh, Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! That is awesome, thank you! Gives me incentive to finally finish her off! Might have to grab a copy off evilbay!
Chris

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back