Hunger Games: Catching Fire Costumes and Wardrobe

eclecticmus

Hello all--did a search of the forum and couldn't find a thread dedicated to this; if there is and I missed it, mods, could you please merge my thread with it?

Anyway, the Capital Couture website released a new photo of Elizabeth Banks as Effie Trinket earlier today:

effie-475629_zpsf99b8e67.jpg

I thought I'd have a go at trying to look for her shoes, and here they are.

Having trouble finding a style name, but they are definitely Alexander McQueen; one site referred to them as 'Runway Platform No-Heel Sandals'. They were part of his 2012 fall collection and seem to come in a few different variants of embellishment. I'm hesitant to call them pink or red due to the color processing on the photograph but am leaning towards red. They retailed for just over $6,000 at Neiman Marcus but are no longer in stock.

Alexander-McQueen-Fall-2012-shoes-pink_zpse3d49aa5.jpg

alexander-mcqueen-heellless-shoes_zps9beb7f32.jpg

Pretty sure the gold color of the sole can be attributed to post-processing. I think she's wearing the variant with the chiffon flowers.

Woop, it's Capitol Couture time again! I was expecting this thread to have pictures of the tribute's orca costumes (sorry, that's how they look to me), and was pleasantly surprised to see something new.

Her necklace is pretty great, too, and easy to replicate. I guess hit up a party supply store/clown college for the gloves?

Woop, it's Capitol Couture time again! I was expecting this thread to have pictures of the tribute's orca costumes (sorry, that's how they look to me), and was pleasantly surprised to see something new.

Her necklace is pretty great, too, and easy to replicate. I guess hit up a party supply store/clown college for the gloves?

Honestly, I was surprised there wasn't a thread for their arena costumes! I remember spending a lot of time trying to identify the pieces, but eventually I gave up (I think a lot of it's been identified since then though).

A friend of mine was saying she'll bet a similar necklace will turn up on Forever21 any day now. Since I found the shoes right before I left work, I'm going to spend some time tonight looking for the jewelry as well. Madonna lace gloves! :lol

I'm definetly doing Katniss' big gown next year, I haven't decided on light or dark. At least with Effie, since it's a McQueen, they have source material to study. I'm having a dilemma. Do I drop what I'm working on now to finish it by this Dragon Con, with limited source material so I'm one of the first to do it, or wait until next year, make it hyper-accurate, but risk that it'll be "last years costume"? Since the movie comes out in November, some people at D*C might not recognize it, but will it be "old" by September of next year?

Either way, excited and going to follow and contribute to this thread :) see my profile for the last movie's big interview gown

I love everything Effie wears! I would like to try and do something similar to her new Capital Couture, but not sure where to even begin. That looks like a lot of fabric and a tone of gathering... Also more of the photos have been released and I LOVE Katniss's Wedding dress. I can't wait to see more later this fall.

Here are links to the other portraits so far (biggest res I could find).

I have to say I really love Katniss's dress. Assuming it is the wedding dress, it is gorgeous. If it's in the film, though, I really hope it starts out as some awful monstrosity and the portrait is what Cinna does to it for the interview. Looking forward to how they transform it.. you can already see the mockingjay in the filigree and also her hair!

Katniss Everdeen (800x1185)
Peeta Mellark (600x889)
Gale (691x1024)
Johanna Mason (4050x6000)
Finnick O'Dair (1000x1481)
Caesar Flickerman (620x919)
Beetee (1823x2700)
Haymitch (1600x2370)
Effie Trinket (1012x1500)
Cinna (618x916)

Also stumbled on this while searching. Looks like the inspiration or the actual dress for Effie: Effie Trinket Alexander McQueen Capitol Portrait PHOTOS | Styleite

Edit to add: Just looked at Johanna's close up .. they used a strip of nails from a nail gun for the bracelet! Cool!

Last edited:
This article was posted today about a few of the costumes: 'Hunger Games: Catching Fire' -- Katniss' Wedding Dress Designer Revealed

Here's the bit relevant to Katniss' dress:
hunger-games-catching-fire-katniss1.jpg

"While many assumed that Katniss' wedding gown came from Alexander McQueen (us included!), Summerville sets the record straight.

"Katniss’ white gown is by a designer named Tex Saverio in Jakarta. He is amazing! I found his designs quite some time ago and saved his information for a perfectly fitting project, then came Catching Fire – perfect!" she said.

This isn't Saverio's first time in the limelight. Lady Gaga wore one of the Indonesian designer's gowns in Harper's Bazaar in 2011. And Kim Kardashian is wearing one of Saverio's hand-embroidered gowns in the March issue of Elle in a shoot that was styled by Gaga fashion director Nicola Formichetti.

“We did several Skype calls with sketches to work together in designing the wedding dress. I had seen a dress he designed with a similar metal bodice, and I wanted to incorporate it into our wedding-dress design," Summerville adds.

She also pointed out the bodice, a Swarovski-crystal-clad “organza corset under a metal cage." The metal pieces rising up are meant to signify fire and flames, while layers of laser-cut feathers at the waist and shoulder tie in the film's "Mockingjay" concept.

The skirt also has numerous layers of organza and chiffon ruffles giving it grandness but still making it seem airy and fluid for movement. As Summerville explains, "This is very important for the twirling/ spinning Katniss does onstage, per Caesar Flickerman's request." "

There's been some debate in my Katniss camp (group I formed on Facebook for Katniss costumer's called "Girl On Fire") whether the ruffles are tulle or chiffon, as there's no visible roll hem line and I see no evidence of fraying, so I don't see how those are chiffon, but they certainly aren't organza. I believe the skirt itself is organza, with horsehair in the hems and the stripings I believe are a combo of either applied trim and piping or cording, or perhaps even couched cording. The laser-cut feathers I'm wondering if that's laser-cut out of fabric, or they laser cut feathers into a shape. The metal cage... I have no idea how to make this out of metal and I might be searching for a alternative material.

I'm curious about this designer... the last movie, Judianna Makovsky designed all the costumes, but this movie all I'm hearing from this new designer is that OTHER designers did all the major pieces, I wonder what's up with that.

Catching-Fire-capitol-portrait_Haymitch.jpg

If anyone comes across any more images or info on Haymitch's outfit please share. The key piece is obviously going to be the dip-died jacket. It has the three button holes on the left lapel but I can't tell if they are simply astetic (a play on the typical one button hole for hat leashes or boutonniere), or if perhaps there are buttons under the other lapel so that it could be buttoned like an admiral's jacket. Also his hands and the chair cover where there may be regular jacket buttons.
Also is the Tshirt dip died from the bottom up or is that shadowing?
I think I may have the boots, they look like slip on ankle boots, but I could be wrong, and black pants are never that hard to match.

wow, the link I used wasn't that big on my monitor before I posted it into the thread, with the image that big, I think all of my questions that can be answered have been. But if anyone finds more photos of the outfits in these shots, please share :)

i really want to make Katniss' mockingjay dress, the black winged one after the wedding dress burns up. has anyone got any details or references on it?

Any thoughts on the best way to make Peeta's gold collar, pocket square or cuff? They're made by Juun J, but I'd really rather not pay thousands of dollars to have them.

HI! waves... Waking this thread up to ask, does anyone know if Katniss's interview dress has an top overlay? As in is it a satin base then a chiffon overlay on top? I am attempting to make this dress but I am actually going to get the bottom layer to light up to appear to be on fire.

Thanks for your help!

gof003.jpg

In regards to Woody's ombré outfit, check out Philip Lim and Neil Barrett. Dip dye was pretty popular last year, but those two designers in particular had that look. From memory, Philip Lim had a sort of teal/charcoal color that might be what he's wearing. Other than that, the blazer kind of has a Varvatos vibe, and it could certainly have been customized by the wardrobe dept. Sorry to not post pictures - I'm in zombie mode, but that should give you some starting points.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back