Plexiglass Questions

SofaKing01

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi Gang,

I've been wanting to build a 1:6 scale of a very familiar / iconic spaceship and I wanted to use plexiglass for most of the body / sub frame. I was wondering what are the best tools I would need to cut the plexi and what glue(s) should I use?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Depends on how big it is. Big parts i use a table saw/ jig saw. Smaller stuff i use laser cutter.

You can use weld on number 3 or 4. Great for acrylic.

Yes, it is preferable to have a special blade for your table saw made for plexi (expensive but worth every penny). You can get away with a panel blade if you put it in backward to eliminate chip-out. If you don't reverse the panel blade, be sure set the blade so it just clears the top of the material it changes the angle of attack to a more horizontal cut and greatly reduces chips. It is best to leave the paper protection on, it somehow keeps the cut edge from getting hot and melting no matter what saw you use. A jig/saber saw with a fine blade works well for curves and holes etc. I use thick styrofoam underneath to support when cutting with a jig saw. If clean edges are required, nothing beats a router. I usually make a pass on the table saw then finish on the router table.

Hope that makes sense. lol

Weld-On #3 (water thin) and Weld-On #16 (gel) are what I use for glue.

Doug

As for table saw blades, you need a carbide with at lease an 80 tooth. You can go 60, but might have some minor chipping. Anything like a jig saw or band saw, you need at least 14 tpi.

As suggested earlier by wannab, weld-on #3 or #4 is best. For this, you'll need a hypo bottle, very watery. Or again like wannab's suggestion you can use weldon #16, like a gel, great for gaps

If clean edges are required, nothing beats a router. I usually make a pass on the table saw then finish on the router table.

:thumbsup
Thats what I do too! I also have a jointer so you cont have to set up fences or jigs.

Last edited:
Thank you, guys! I'm working with Starkiller on a new side project. It's going to be major and I'm not sure if I'm up for the task... LOL Stand by! THANKS AGAIN!!!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back