Buffy Slayer scythe

claudehaus

I picked up a Slayer scythe and discovered the bottom section (stake plus metal ring) is completely disconnected from the axe shaft. It looks like there's dried glue in there, but the two pieces don't stick together. This was intended as a holiday gift so getting an exchange from the vendor isn't a possibility due to time constraints.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a specific glue or epoxy that would successfully unite the two halves? Would I need to do any preparation prior to gluing the pieces together? Thanks for your input.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(claudehaus @ Dec 19 2006, 09:54 PM) [snapback]1381109[/snapback]</div>
I picked up a Slayer scythe and discovered the bottom section (stake plus metal ring) is completely disconnected from the axe shaft. It looks like there's dried glue in there, but the two pieces don't stick together. This was intended as a holiday gift so getting an exchange from the vendor isn't a possibility due to time constraints.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there a specific glue or epoxy that would successfully unite the two halves? Would I need to do any preparation prior to gluing the pieces together? Thanks for your input.
[/b]

If you recieved the item like that out of the box then definitely take/send it back and tell the person you were giving it too that it will be delayed. As it's a gift I am sure it will be worth the extra wait to get a non-faulty version. If the vendor isn't too far from you they may do a quick turnaround. Maybe.

Don't really know on the gluing part, try hardware stores as there are glues for sticking metal to wood and they should be fairly common.

Good luck.

John

I would return it too. Maybe give the giftee an small gift as an IOU and make the situation is clear as to what happened, without revealing the nature of the real gift.

You should send it back, or ask for a refund.
I've just recived the sword of the headless horseman from Sleepy Hollow, it is a nice piece (and a personal Christmas gift to me :D ), but it came with a missing portion of the tip of the blade. I have already contacted the seller for an exchange...

Assuming time for an exchange is out of the question, here's what you can do. First, get as much of the old glue as possible out of wherever it's built up. Second, check to make sure that the two mating surfaces are clean of any paints, stains or other non metal/wood substances. Finally, get some 2 part, 15 minute epoxy glue (available at any decent hardware store). You'll have 15 minutes to work with it once the parts are mixed, about an hour untill dry and 24 hrs for a full cure. Mix a little more than you think you'll need and just slop it on both mating surfaces and fit the two pieces together. If any squishes out, wipe it up and wipe any residue with some isopropyl alcohol. Try not to play with it for 2 days to make sure it's solid.

-Fred

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to be exchanging it for a replacement the day after Christmas but if I get resistance from the vendor I'll go the epoxy route. In addition to warning people off using them, of course.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back