jay851's dredd vest build

jay851

hi all
after seeing some great results from people on here replicating dredd's vest, i have decided to have a crack at one myself. i mainly work with metal so this is something conpletely new to me, so it will be far from perfect, but hopefully fun and good learning along the way. i have been gathering plenty of reference pics and materials including mesh fabric, webbing straps, foam etc and have finally made a start. i have also got some armour plates, front and back, off usurper including badge which is all fantastic gear (cheers lee). i've started with the collar which is made from a perforated leather steering wheel cover, some hard foam and some plastic cover from a length of armoured cable that i found at work. have also used a length of 4mm brass bar to create the rib around the top and hold the shape. it is far from perfect as the leather is quite gathered rather than smooth, and have had to snip it to aid it to curve round but think it does not look too bad.
plenty more to come.
atb
jay

dv1005_zpsd5da2c3d.jpg

dv1004_zpsd65072f3.jpg

dv1003_zps3de9659e.jpg

Wow. Looks awesome!

I've been searching all sorts of things for the collar and hasn't settled on a good idea, but I love that!

yes mate just sewn together. not really happy with the gathering of the steering wheel leather, so may try again with some perforated sheet faux material.

got the front left side almost done. made with 5mm closed cell foam and some grey heavy duty mesh dyed dark grey with shoe polish.

dv2019_zps0cda73f5.jpg

dv2018_zps9e3f7496.jpg

dv2017_zpsc8c60225.jpg

That looks amazing! I've never tried using foam...could you please give me a brief step by step in how you made the impressions? Nice buckles..those look spot on.

Sorry that may have been misleading.
I used the 5mm foam just as the vest panel which i covered with the mesh and then stitched the edging on.the armour plates i got off usurper on here, i can't take credit for them, but they are fantastic. the buckle is a genuine cobra buckle.

small update.
both front panels now done, just need to sew on the zipper then onto the back panel.

dv3003_zpsef09a8de.jpg

dv3004_zps5c4f6a43.jpg

dv3005_zps22395054.jpg

Last edited:
bit of an update on this. have almost finished front and back of vest, just need to add belt loops. have remade collar which im a bit happier with but was a right pain to make, just need to attach it. next onto shoulders.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back