Cygnus DSP-1 from The Black Hole

star-art

Sr Member
A very slow project due to the enormous complexity of this subject. Patterns for this have been under way for several years and some good progress is being made. I have looked around the net but have never seen anyone even attempt this one, only the MPC kit version. Since the original studio models are destroyed/lost and not many reference pics exist, it is indeed a challenge.

The latest update on this project can be found here:

http://www.starshipbuilder.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369

For behind-the-scenes info on this unique and beautiful studio model, look here:

[Edit 3-1-06: Reference images temporarily offline due to a site migration and overhaul]

Originally posted by Mycroft Holmes@Dec 7 2005, 07:41 AM
Charles and I have been friends for a while and we even got to work on the new Battlestar Galactica series together. He is a talented person and this project has been his baby.... He has researched everythng he could find and it shows. Now he still needs to explain to me where in the hell he;s going to put that monster when completed. It's only something like 12' long right? :p

Keep on it Charles BUT don't forget the other drawings we need to finish :angel

Mark
[snapback]1130562[/snapback]​

Thanks. :D I know Mark, I haven't forgotten. Some of that other stuff was burning me out and I needed a break. I'll make plenty of progress on a lot of things this month, don't worry. :D

As far as where to put it, well it will break into three sections and I do have a decent sized basement. . . .

;)

After completing most of the center section of the Cygnus, the bow section is now underway. This is probably the most difficult part of the ship to figure out. Few good, clear photos exist and most of the structure is deep in shadow. The angles are extremely tricky. Even though it's not quite as big and detailed as the stern section, I think this is the most difficult part of the ship to recreate.

FrameTakesShapeSM.jpg

Latest update here:

http://www.starshipbuilder.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369

MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone.. :D

The bow section is now completed. Scroll all the way to end of page 2 for the latest (post #40)

Happy New Year.. Moving along. . . I thought the bow section was the hardest part of the ship, but the stern has proven to be quite a challenge as well. But it's coming along nicely. I'd say it's well over one half done, maybe two thirds of the way of there. Next up are some internal details, the side boxes with antennae, and then the command tower. Add some finishing details like the piping and it will be done.

I may make blueprints of this ship available if there is sufficient interest. A lot of work has gone into this as you can imagine, and it will take even more time to prepare drawings but I do enjoy that sort of thing. I'm thinking a side elevation and top plan view printed on a poster-sized sheet. Let me know what you think.

Updated: Stern antennas and boxes are complete and the command tower is now under construction. Latest pics at my site. . .

I got the command tower base done, still need to do the top. Then I will be tweaking the center modules and rebuilding that part of the ship. But I'm taking a break for a while. :)

I don't blame you for taking a break, this is one of the most massive undertakings I've seen in a while. I've always wanted a decent replica of the Cygnus, unfortunately I don't have a basement :lol I definately want a set of blueprints when you're done. Keep us posted, this is an awesome project. :thumbsup

Bill

Nope, sorry. I'm concentrating on paying projects and also trying to finish a book (drafting and pattern making for modelers). But I will get back to it and finish it. :)

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back