Re: Studio Scale TIE Fighter - Take 2

Yeah, you need to join the SSM's to see those maps.

Joe[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot, but I can´t become a member because the register is closed now. :cry

Any other solutions please?

Regards.
Luis

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, it's 3.175mm larger...or roughly 1.6mm added to each side of the diameter.

Yeah, you need to join the SSM's to see those maps.

Joe

Thanks a lot, but I can´t become a member because the register is closed now. :cry

Any other solutions please?

Regards.
Luis

I know that this thread has been dormant for a while but, I've got a question. Can anyone tell me with and degree of certainty, what the TIE's Fighter's Sphere size is? I see a lot of back and forth between 5.25 and 3mm (is that even close?). I'd like to buy me some spheres. Anybody know for sure? Thanks.

-emojo5

This isn't concrete but I've been messing with 5 inch sphere with .060" plating. A lot of builds have suggested that 5 " is too small and 5.25" is too large. 5.125" is in the middle and utilizes plating. My two cents...

Joe

Ok not to argue but when Steve did the efx he had access to the original! So I would assume he measured the ball and the wings ect. To get the exact size.

Mark, there was several discussions about this in this forum (one of them was in my other TIE thread).

Steve said somewhere that ILM used a 5" ball with styrene over it which means a bigger diameter.

With new refs, I can be 100% the master was not made from plastruct hemispheres. The walls are very thin, about 1.5mm while a platruct hemi is at least twice that thickness. The master was probably made from styrene vacformed around a plastruct hemi, but bigger than 5".

No need to laser scan an original casting (and that would not give us the original size of the master due to shrinkage), when you put the kitpart on the hemi it becomes obvious on a 5" that there's not enough space between the parts.

If someone could measure the diameter of the top hatch of an eFX TIE Fighter and post the result here, we could compare it with the known diameter of an original ANH TIE hatch.

With the reference that I've got, an original casting of the top hatch comes in at about 2.9062 inches (thats just shy of 15/16's). Not factoring in distortion of the photographic image, of coarse. Just contacted a source who can help with a better measurement. We shall see. And by the way, I love your work, Julian. Really top shelf stuff.

-emojo5/EdM.

Hi Julian.
Small world. Even smaller modeling community. The person who I asked about the TIE hatch is Gene. He has not replied to me mail yet. The difference in our two numbers could be that "distortion in the photo" I mentioned. I always like to get a solid measurement of parts, when possible of coarse. Sadly, we can't always do that. So you think that the master TIE ball is a vacuformed piece? Steve Niesen used the plastruct shares, didn't he? I thought that replica was dead-on?

Which known parts are best to position on a sphere in order to determine whether or not the sphere diameter is correct?

The more the better I guess. All the cockpit parts are known so its best to use them all to find the correct diameter.

Are you referring to the parts attached to the outside of the ball or the parts attached to the "dashboard"? We should be able to figure this out, especially if we have a clear, high resolution picture of the cockpit ball with a known camera and lens with all of the metadata intact. Unfortunatley I didn't take many pictures of the TIE fighter when I was in Indianapolis last year because my focus was on the star destroyer.

Are you referring to the parts attached to the outside of the ball or the parts attached to the "dashboard"? We should be able to figure this out, especially if we have a clear, high resolution picture of the cockpit ball with a known camera and lens with all of the metadata intact. Unfortunatley I didn't take many pictures of the TIE fighter when I was in Indianapolis last year because my focus was on the star destroyer.

I was meaning the parts glued on the outside but I guess the dashboard would help too ?

I could take pics in raw format when I go back to the exhibit in Paris (all TIE are there, regular, interceptor, Vader's and Bomber but this one doesnt count :p). However they're not well displayed :( They are quite far from and I wont be able to take good front pics.

Raw would be terrific, and I don't think that straight on would be necessary - just as much of the ball that you can get, with as many kit parts in frame as possible, with the entire depth of the ball in focus if possible (difficult sometimes given the dark lighting in these museum exhibits). Obviously high res (6k?) and center frame as well. :)

Hey julien if you go could you...please....take some shots of the top wells and bottom wells of the back of the tie advance and really good pic of the mystery part bottom tail right side.

Mark, I'll see what I can do but Im not sure if you saw the display layout, the models are pretty difficult to photograph and some areas are out of reach.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back