Studioscale Snowspeeder Rogue 2 Replica

Telepathic

Hi guys, just wanted to share with you a build I started about 8 years ago. A little background first, Michael AKA 3d-builder inspired me to build this when I stumbled upon the fotki photo album of his speeder build. What's really funny is that he did start his first but I started building this one shortly after, we were actually building at the same time but he has long since finished his and as you will see by the pictures I am not quite done with mine. I put it aside and it remained in a very incomplete state for many years. What made this model hard to work on for me were the inaccuracies I saw in comparison to the original. Don't get me wrong it is good but in my opinion just not good enough, we are always our greatest critics. It is difficult to be inspired to see something through when all you see are faults. I am now determined to finish it and will attempt to give it the best paint job I can, which will also be good practice for my other speeder.

P.S. Pay no attention to the round white thing in the background, just using that as a diffusion panel.
Helio

It looks seriously fantastic, your being too hard on yourself if your disappointing in this in any way. It will be an amazing piece when you finish it up...

Hey guys, thanks for the words of encouragement. I am not unhappy with this speeder as far as build quality goes, it has more to do with some of the dimensional inaccuracies. One of it's biggest problems, in my opinion of course is that some of the dimensions are taken from the MPC kit and scaled up. At the time I built this there wasn't much else available and I needed a starting point so the MPC is what I used as a base plan and unfortunately, while one of the better kit offerings, is not entirely accurate itself. As I said I am determined to finish it and give it as amazing a paint job as I possibly can. Mike, another thing that is going to really put it over the top is to have those figures of yours piloting it. I am really looking forward to that.

I have learned that if you inspire somebody then you
have added to the longevity of the craft. That's really
the best part to come out of the inspiration.:thumbsup

I have also learned that when you inspire somebody
it's good to have as small as possible of an ego .......because
their work usually ends up better than yours....... and this is perfect
proof!:lol:thumbsup

Hey Michael, good to see you come by here. This build is a byproduct of the work you did. I never got to thank you for posting that build album which got me off my butt and made me build this, so thanks.
Helio

Aww, hell no mate, surely there are far better men for that job :lol. Id jump at the chance if you were in the UK though mate, Rogue Two looks a fun one to imitate to accuracy, its an even rougher job the the Rogue Leader, lots of rubbing and scuffing.

lee

Hey Michael, good to see you come by here. This build is a byproduct of the work you did. I never got to thank you for posting that build album which got me off my butt and made me build this, so thanks.
Helio

Michaels album got a lot of folks into building the speeder in one way or another.

lee

Lee, you're right, the paint job on Rogue looks like it will be a lot of fun and at the same time quite a bit of work. Another thing you are right about is that I am sure it will look awesome alongside Rogue Leader, unfortunately once I am done with it, it may have to look for a new home. I am unsure if I will have the display space necessary for both speeders, I also have a falcon in the works and a bomber which is not really a problem since it is so small but the other 3 are quite large.
Helio

Its the scratch marks and rubbing that makes it Helio. Only fella to go that route before me was Guy on his MR repaint.
It just creates the correct look on the model, so various grades of sandpaper were used and swiped across the hull, its way more apparent on the orange speeder too.

lee

For sure, those scratches definitely help achieve the look and taking the cue from you, I will start the paint work by giving the speeder either a black or a very dark gray base coat so that it shows through those scratches.
Helio

You and Michael with them awesome speeders! This is really cool! Not to take away from such an awesome build but can we see more of that DIFFUSION PANEL!? :p

Joe

Hey guys, I need some help. I am looking for a couple of parts from the Tamiya Vosper. I need two D3 parts. They are the torpedo halves. I ruined the ones from my kit by modifying them. I would be happy to pay for them if someone is willing to spare the parts.

Helio, checked my sprues, all taken......and im baffled what i used them on, walker maybe?
Still may have two in my parts bin of doom, but i wont get to that till the weekend, its a bit of a mission to hunt through, ill keep you posted if your not sorted by one of the guys in the meantime.

lee

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back