CW Arrow bow prop

nightwing58

Moving my posts from a thread that was already started on the Costume Showcase since its a prop and not a costume. Really like the CW Arrow show so I started working making the bow. Ordered a Samick Red Stag break down recurve bow riser and 48" recurve limbs along with all the brass box straps and straight chock parts for the details.

So I got the Samick red sage riser and 48" limbs in Thursday and the riser is the right size for sure as you can see in the pic below the correct box strap fits it easily. The problem is the limbs don't. The riser bolt is to wide for the limb hole, plus the riser has a detent sticking out to keep the limb stationary. The limb doesn't have a recess for the detent so both of those won't make it work. Now I think I have this fixed as the CW Arrow site kindly showed a pick of the bow drawn back and after having both the riser and the limbs in my hand I think they just used the whole Samick red stag bow as the 48" limbs are too short to bend that way with this riser. So I went ahead and ordered off for the red stag limbs now. Had to take my titanium drill bits and start from smallest to largest to drill out brass bit to separate the box straps and then drill a bigger hole on the bottom of box strap that goes over the limb that the riser bolt goes thru to make it work. Here is the mock up minus the knuckle guard and limbs before staining and marking the symbols.

img0634rr.jpg

0068002059c.jpg

img0638tu.jpg

Got the straight chock in and its pretty much mocked up now minus the wrap around the handle which i'm waiting to use after I scruff up the riser and stain it then take a wood burning pen to put the symbols on the side then put it all back together.

img0641b.jpg

So finished up the bow today minus wrapping the box straps around the limbs which I'll do after the bow string comes in mail and then put the bow string on. I think I did a good job considering its the first prop I ever made myself.

Thanks, for the praise but I don't plan on making a run of this. To many places online you have to outsource to get all the parts needed to get it to look like this and then I got lucky just finding the brown straps on ebay for the handle

Looks great!

Sorry but I'm a little unclear on which limbs you ended up using. If I understand correctly, the replacement ones you 1st ordered couldn't be attached to the riser, but the Red Stag limbs wouldn't allow the use of the box straps. Sorry if it's clear & I'm just cloudy. :confused

I was also wondering if any of the attachments seemed to get in the way of the bow actually functioning like it's supposed to?

Last question...what's the draw weight & length of these limbs?

Thanks for sharing your work & info.:thumbsup

Hi,
This look really great !
I'm planning on making a Arrow costume, so this topic will help me a lot about the bow !

I have a question : do you have a model of the symbols on the bow ? :)

Thanks !

That's pretty awesome. Nice job. I like this show a lot too. I actually shoot archery and it's great to see all the notice that the sport is receiving. With the Hunger Game movies, Avengers and now Arrow, a lot more people have shown interest.

Sorry for taking awhile to catch up on all the responses. Can't really sand the bow anymore as when I did it, it just took the protective varnish off and still left the laminated wood look. So I got some rustoleum sand color paint and covered it in that color. Then I took a wood burning pen and etched in the symbols using the pics below as references. As for the 1st set of limbs I got I thought I wouldn't be able to use them as they didn't have the hole underneath to accept the riser notch. So I took a drill bit that is the notch size and made one so it would accept the limbs. I did get the risers actual limbs that go with the bow but those look to big compared to the screen grabs I have showing the tv bow in use so I put back on the smaller ones I modified after I painted them. I don't see the box strap being a problem as long as the arrows are using actual feather fletches and not plastic ones, and that you tilt the bow to the right a little. Just got the email saying the custom bow string has shipped so I should see it in the mail by next week and then i'll post pics of it all finished.

So finally got the green and brown bow string in and finished up the bow. Granted it isn't an exact copy of the TV show bow, but best I could do without having a garage to cut and shape the riser to look exactly like the the TV prop plus I did all this work in an apartment. Here's pics of it finished.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back