Prop Display Room at Marscon (Minnesota) - A Couple Weekends ago!

OB10

Sr Member
Not a prop party... as such. Not a full-on Lucasfilm prop display... BUT... There's a great little con in Bloomington, MN, that will be heading back to the Holiday Inn Select by the Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport. And this year, there's gonna be a prop display room. And if I know the local RPF, there will be a good some waaaay cool props, some long, cool conversations, and maybe, just maybe, we might have a drink.

Minnesota Jones and I are organizing this little event. If it proves to be popular enough, it may turn out to be an annual thing. But in the meantime, if there are any Minnesota RPFers out there who are willing to put their names on the list (don't worry, no commitments yet), it'll help Mike (MN Jones) and I figure out how much space we're going to need. We have a room reserved for it, but if we can start getting an idea of how many and what size props we may have, we can figure out size and numbers of tables. If we have large props/costumes/droids, that's more floor space we'll want to have.

So, who's coming? I'm pretty sure we'll see some of Blair's "What-Do-You-Mean-That's-Made-Of-Cardboard?." :eek props (Rocketeer helmet and rocketpack, Phaser Rifle, rayguns, Captain Proton rocketpack, Tommygun... the list goes on and on and on...). Will THuth be showing his waaaay cool Batprops? Will Rook venture this far south to show off his SG-1 gear? (Don S. Davis & Gary Jones from SG-1 are two of the guests, by the way). Will Jay bring his Bottomless Bag of Phasers and PADDs? Will Goat fight his way here across the frozen tundra? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

Marscon will be the first weekend of March, the 2nd through the 4th, at the Holiday Inn Select in Bloomington. So give a shout out if you're thinking of coming, if you have any questions, or if you have anything you want to display. You can post here, PM me, or email me at OB 10 @ hotmail . com (yeah, remove the spaces). http://www.marscon.org/

Obi-Bob

Hey Bob,

March 2nd you say, and might, just might have a drink??? wow, what a great day to have a prop room/party..(my B-day).

If I'm in town, I'm there. Depending on Job situation of course.. if you hadn't heard, will be jobless come Jan 28th.. less I find something else by then.

I got a few smaller things for the display. Will Email chat with you later about them.

Joe

Well, I stopped over at Kevin's work tonight and gave him a heads-up. He's pretty excited about it, and is interested in helping to work the room. He's not sure what he's gonna bring, but he's planning on his Tusken gear at least: gaffi stick, and I think homemade mask. He does have a number of other pretty cool things, but isn't sure what else would be good.

As an aside, he's got a piece published in the new Insider. It's near the back, accompanying one of the regular articles, I believe. I dunno any more, I haven't picked it up yet. But I guess it's there.

Obi-Bob

Hey guys.

I'm definitely in. Although I did sell alot of my stuff a couple of years ago I'm slowly re-building the collection. I'll have a number of smaller sabers/blasters to show off, and some kick-ass, screen accurate, top knotch t-shirts ;)

Keep me posted as to the details.

-Ss

Hadn't seen this thread-- so a big "thanks" for the email, Bob.

Count me as "penciled in," guys. I'll bring some stuff to show off, too. I will try to figure out the what's and when's and get the info to you soon, sir.

It will be great to reconnect w the group. I have been AWOL, working on my house, etc. since we are expecting our first in June. :)

Keep me in the loop for any other local stuff.

- Tony

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thuth @ Jan 3 2007, 12:05 PM) [snapback]1389676[/snapback]</div>
Hadn't seen this thread-- so a big "thanks" for the email, Bob.

Count me as "penciled in," guys. I'll bring some stuff to show off, too. I will try to figure out the what's and when's and get the info to you soon, sir.

It will be great to reconnect w the group. I have been AWOL, working on my house, etc. since we are expecting our first in June. :)

Keep me in the loop for any other local stuff.

- Tony
[/b]

pencil me in as well... is this a sci-fi only prop stuff?... are blank firing guns allowed? :angel ... (actually perhaps the guns... i don't want to get shot accidentally in the parking-lot...lemmie think this one over..

I've this new job and they have me chained to this server room...i'll check the dates

Hey Bob,

I'm still unsure if jennifer and I will make it to the con, but in case we don't, I can lend off my Ghostbuster Proton Pack and Ghost Trap and Ecto-Goggles for sure. If I have my Galactica display done by then I'll lend you that too (it'll be in a frame).

-G

Excellent. I hope you guys can make it.

As far as "guns"... Marscon has been much more understanding than some cons I know of. There's the regular requirements: usually peace bonded, no foolish sticking weapons in people's faces, you kill it you clean it and eat it... But I think it'll be even more "weapon" friendly in the Propatorium. But I can't think of any really good reason for allowing real guns (well, maybe if it was one of the actual Mausers or Sterlings from Star Wars.... :angel ), and hotel policies and probably local laws would prohibit it.

But I should think replica, demilled, and airsoft would be okay. We're planning on having "Do not touch without owners permission" signs everywhere, and little notes by the props explaining what it is, what it's made from and so on, along with the owner's name. The owner will need to be present for any touching or picking up of the prop. I know most of the people in the RPF are sensible and won't damage things, but we'd like to have some way of keeping careless people from fondling our toys, but still allow it when called for. Tony's stuff, though? Well, we might just have to have that behind barbed wire and guard dogs. :D

I don't think we necessarily need to have a "sci fi and fantasy props only" type of display. But we probably will tend to have that type of bias. We don't have loads of space, so we'll have to see what we can fit. We haven't finalized anything, but we probably won't have much more than 100 square feet of table space, at best.

As we get closer to the actual date, we'll probably email a "room map" and some sort of policies type of thing to the people who signed up, to help us from doing anything unneccesarily stupid. :lol

Obi-Bob

I could come it just depends on school right now.

I'm not huge into the Sci fi props, I have a small collection of Smallville and Superman Props and such. I'm getting some of Hydin's Superman Returns Crystals I could desplay. The Donner ones I might have by then too.

Hey quick question.
Is Blair a member here? I know him from Valley Con up here in Fargo.
If I can get off work I will be around.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(101RadioMan @ Jan 3 2007, 08:04 PM) [snapback]1390015[/snapback]</div>
Hey quick question.
[/b]

I don't think Blair posts here but he will be at the Con. Blair usually attends the various prop functions/parties up here in the Twin Cities area and it's always cool to see what he's building.

-Ss

Is anyone planning an 'after con' party Saturday night? I may be able to convince the Mrs. to go on Saturday. I'd love to finally meet The Stargate Actors as I missed them at DC this year. :(

Any ideas how the prop table display will be working? Assuming all goes according to plan, I may be able to bring my Colonial Marine armor/uniform as well as my Stargate stuff

Who will be manning the table?

Russ

Yup, Blair'll be there. Probably either in the Propatorium or the World Defense Force room. And the Fluffbot (for those of you who were at Valleycon last year) will be in the WDF room. Guarding things.

And there are ALWAYS parties later in the day.... We'll probably close down the prop room to "civilians" around suppertime. But if you know the Secret Password, we may let you in. :lol Or maybe we'll just have to move the prop party to one of the official party rooms. I wouldn't mind keeping it open to RPFers, but we may have to see how things work out.

It'd be great to see some Superman stuff, along with SG-1 and USCM stuff, too. The more, the merrier. I've got plenty of stuff, but everyone around here's probably seen most of it. I'd prefer to get some new stuff on display. And I know there's some screen-used stuff around, too.

So far, the only people I know of who'll be watching the tables are me, Mike (Minnesota Jones), and his wife. I think Kevin offered to work the room, and Dreamstitcher's has also offered to supply some people. We haven't created a sign-up schedule, yet. But I'd like to have 2 people minimum to watch the room at all times. The more, the better.

And just in case anyone cares, I think Menard's still has some plastic cases for displaying model cars and trucks on sale for around $6.00. I picked up a couple so we at least have something to put a few small things in.

Obi-Bob

Large, flat case, eh? Sounds good. How big is it? (Yes, I know, "That's a rather personal question, sir.")

Obi-Bob

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(101RadioMan @ Jan 3 2007, 08:04 PM) [snapback]1390015[/snapback]</div>
Hey quick question.
[/b]

I was at ValleyCon last 2 years. We did the Tuskens and Jawas last year and this year the kids were a Jedi and Leia. I had my Jayne hat by the pool.

David

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OB10 @ Jan 9 2007, 03:13 PM) [snapback]1393789[/snapback]</div>
Large, flat case, eh? Sounds good. How big is it? (Yes, I know, "That's a rather personal question, sir.")

Obi-Bob
[/b]

About 2 foot by three foot. Maybe 4-5 inches deep. Good for flat guns, paper, jewelry, insignia, etc..

-G

Got my tickets (thanks Bob for the heads up on the price break before the 31st) and my room reserved....

I'm ready to party. :cheers :cheers :cheers :cheers

-Ss

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back