Godzilla from Godzilla vs. Megalon

maxdefiant

Hi Everyone!

Here's a Godzilla costume I created back in 2005 that I've never posted about before...

Inspiration
I've always been a Godzilla fan from a very young age and the idea of actually becoming Godzilla has always been a dream of mine. Well way back in 2005 I decided to take a couple weeks off work and build a Godzilla costume.

Construction Time
I would work my day job from 9-5 then rush home every night for about 3 months and work on it until very late (one time I went to bed around 4am). I would guess around 100 hours give or take.

Cost
I kept decent records of what I bought in case someday I wanted to document and the final cost for this behemoth was about $850.

Favorite Details
My favorite part of the suit are the dorsal fins which are very accurate to the screen costume used in Megalon, Mechagodzilla and Terror of Mechagodzilla. I love how they flow down the tail!

Tips
The biggest tip I can mention is don't be afraid to screw up. If you are then you might not even start! You just gotta get your hands dirty and start... once you do that the momentume will carry you through (hopefully.) :)

I just finished the creation of a website that details the entire build up for my suit in case you want to see more photos and details:

Becoming Godzilla

photoshopOverlay.jpg

GodzillaBlog_Body_12.jpg

GodzillaBlog_Head_36.jpg

GodzillaBlog_Tail_28.jpg

GodzillaBlog_Painting_24.jpg

GodzillaBlog_completed_06.jpg

GodzillaBlog_completed_02.jpg

GodzillaBlog_completed_01.jpg

GodzillaBlog_completed_11.jpg

Last edited:
great suit. Did you ever take it to a con like dragoncon?

Thanks! I've never been to dragoncon but I did take it to G-Fest in Chicago back in 2008. Long story but the judges were so impressed they created a special trophy for me just for that year. I'm hoping to take it to G-Fest this year to stomp around and maybe be in the movies they've been filming for the past few years.

How hot do you get? Any tricks to stay cool?

It's loads of fun but yes, it gets quite hot! To help stay cool I placed a small battery powered fan in the mouth/neck. When I open the little door that's in front of my face then I get a decent amount of airflow. I burned out the first fan cause I didn't have that door open... or maybe the cheap fan just busted.

You can see a picture of the fan here:
Neck | Becoming Godzilla

Any plans to pay a visit to Tokyo?

They aren't very fond of me over there so I think I'll stay hidden... at least for now. Seriously I would love to go to Tokyo someday bust that's probably far far down the road for me.

Thanks guys! Now that the site is complete I will be starting my first Iron Man costume which I'm super excited about. I'll post on the RFP once I start.

I dunno, maybe you need to make a Megalon costume now to have someone to fight!

I don't know if anyone's ever made a really nice Megalon costume before. I would be tempted to use real metal for the hands and have some contraption to shoot those red fire balls out of his mouth... sans fire of course.

That is so cool! I've not seen anyone do a Godzilla before (I"m sure there are plenty, but I've personally not seen them) Great job!

Thanks! I'm currently in the process of getting other people to contribute to my website so I can have their Godzilla builds as well. Hopefully it will be a informative resource for G-Fans making there first Godzilla costumes.

It reminds me of the Godzilla suit from the movie "One Crazy Summer" Good work :)

LOL! One Crazy Summer is a fantastic 80's movie - one of my favorites! I have a poster of it on my wall in my Man-cave next to BTTF 2 and STV. I was a Godzilla fan before OCS came out so seeing Bobcat Goldthwait running around in that G-Suit was sooooo funny.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back