Throwing My 32" Into the Ring

It's coming together very well. I can't wait to get my hands on some styrene... ply-wood and foam can get a bit messy! :)

Cadeus- Thanks! And I actually agree about the foam and plywood! LOL!

Thanks, Ray! I'm trying my best!

Something about that rear-end shot! LOL! The tunnels look awesome. It's definitely a Falcon! You da man!

Joe

Thanks, Joe! It feels like I'm actually getting something accomplished now that I have the two halves together, at least temporarily!

looks like your having fun......:thumbsup
Keep up the good work!

Michael, Thanks! I AM having a ton of fun. Not so much when I find errors...LOL!

Hi Daverep, thanks for sharing your build, hitches and all. So informative and just plain fun to watch.

CJ- Thanks! There will be plenty more hitches to share, I'm sure! LOL!

Loving the build so far. Keep up the great work

Sebret- Much thanks as well!

Took a quick break this evening to check emails and visit here...I have 3 of 4 docking tunnels completed and as soon as I finish leaving this message I'm going to see if I can finish the last one. If I do, then I'll get some pics up.

Thanks again everyone for the comments and glad everyone's enjoying the build. Hopefully I don't disappoint! :lol

Dave

Have you thought of building a laser cutter, it's pretty easy if you can find the time! That said your falcons looking fantastic so far!

Have you thought of building a laser cutter, it's pretty easy if you can find the time! That said your falcons looking fantastic so far!

Gladius, I have not, actually. Wouldn't know where to put it except maybe the college where I teach P/T. Maybe put it in the theatre shop. Sounds expensive to build! :lol

I actually didn't know they were available for people to build themselves. Interesting...

Anyway, it would take all the fun out of cutting this stuff out by hand! :behave

Quick update. All four docking tunnels are complete. And temped in. Not a huge update, but at least they're now out of the way.

DSC_0190-2.jpg

DSC_0186.jpg

DSC_0184.jpg

DSC_0188-2.jpg

DSC_0185.jpg

Next step is to get the mandible walls in, and then start taking the necessary steps to get all of that blue painters tape off of this thing.

I've got an order that should be in by the end of the week with my 3" pipe and some other stuff to get this thing ready to plate. I'll update when I can.

Thanks again!
Dave

Its surprisingly cheap to build, mine cost me 32aus there's an instructible for it if you get bored sometime :)

Anyway any updates? It looks too Promising for me not to ask haha

Hey forgive me if I sound like a complete tool when I ask this but I thought the sidewalls were flush with the outer perimeter and then when you put on the outer skinning is when you have the lip that goes around the model. Take a look at jbreplicas buildup and you will see what I mean I might be completely wrong but if I'm right I will have hopefully all saved you some headache.

Its surprisingly cheap to build, mine cost me 32aus there's an instructible for it if you get bored sometime :)

Anyway any updates? It looks too Promising for me not to ask haha

Gladius...would be interesting to see those instructions! You have a link for them?

I've done very little in the past few weeks. I've honestly been working solidly for the past 3 weeks...7 days a week on a project for work. Unfortunately it's consumed my life right now...but I do see the light at the end of the tunnel. :wacko

I've started getting rid of all of the blue tape and actually glueing something together. I've also been working on some templates for the jaw boxes and landing gear wells. These are all derived from Maruska's drawings that Joe (joewhite) and are using for the build.

I'm also waiting for some plastic to come in. But mainly I'm just waiting for some time to free up so that I can get some decent work done on this.

Thanks for the bump. I'm actually waiting for something to render on my computer which gave me the time to check things out around here! :lol

Hey forgive me if I sound like a complete tool when I ask this but I thought the sidewalls were flush with the outer perimeter and then when you put on the outer skinning is when you have the lip that goes around the model. Take a look at jbreplicas buildup and you will see what I mean I might be completely wrong but if I'm right I will have hopefully all saved you some headache.

McGraph- I thought so too, but after doing some research and talking with Joe, it seems as if there really is an inset and the plating comes over that. Take a look at the photo...

HullvsPlatingInset.jpg

The red parts are where the plating has been extended over the .5" inset. You can also tell on the top right part in blue that looks as if it has been snapped off. You can see the understructure of the hull in there. So I've taken that the ribs get covered by the hull cover and then when the plating is put onto the hull cover, some of it extends over. The other "tell" that makes me think that it's inset is that the bottom lip appears to be one solid piece and not made up of plating. It's smooth. One last thing is that it seems to be a 90-degree angle from the equator wall to the lip. In the photos that I've seen, that's what it looks like to me.

...but, of course, I could be a complete idiot and heading down the wrong path. :D

Thanks for bringing that up, though. Luckily I'm not at the point of gluing down the equator walls just yet and will do a little more research. But, in the end, both ways will serve it's purpose. I'm not going for 100% accuracy. I'm going to try and get as close as I can get, but know full well that I simply can't.

Dave great work!:thumbsup

Michael- THANKS!! :D
That means a lot coming from you! LOVE your builds. Especially your Slave I. Incredibly cool!

Thanks guys for the comments even though it's been a while since I've posted! I just got to get through this current project at work so I can get my life back. It sucks working 7 days a week and even having to bring my work home with me. By the end of it all, I will have worked 5 weeks straight.

Deadlines SUCK!

But luckily I have a vacation at the end of it all! WooHoo!!!

Dave

I thought that the main circular shape has the 1 inch waist strip flush with the edge of the circle with no overhang..
Then the skin over the ribs hangs over that, then the plating hangs over the skin...otherwise it's gonna have three sets of overhangs..:confused

Cheers, Phil

I thought that the main circular shape has the 1 inch waist strip flush with the edge of the circle with no overhang..
Then the skin over the ribs hangs over that, then the plating hangs over the skin...otherwise it's gonna have three sets of overhangs..:confused

Cheers, Phil

Man...you guys are right. I just spent the better part of a few hours taking a look at the ref pics that I've pulled...including your build, Phil. MAN that's an incredible build!!!

I think what was screwing me up was that I was misinterpreting the plans that Maruska drew up that I'm using as reference. Once I looked at them after sifting through the photos, I have to agree with you guys. I probably need to stop doing this stuff late at night. :facepalm

I really appreciate you guys pointing that out!

Phil, the photos you have on your thread really helped since you took a couple of photos that were similar to some of the other pics I've been using as refs. Mainly some of the hi-res parts maps. I used how your parts sit up against the 1" strip with the parts maps that I have.

If you guys lived near me, I'd buy everyone several rounds of beers! :lol

So, now I'm back on track thanks to the both of you! (y)thumbsup

Hopefully I can get back to building this weekend and if so, I'll get some more pics up.

Thanks, again guys!
Dave

No problem I'm just happy you didn't get further along in your build before you had to fix it, would have been a pain in the ass to take off the sidewalls with the parts on. Looking forward to watching more of this build. I'm collecting the kits myself for this and its all a learning experience for me so I'm happy to have helped a little at least. For a sec there you had me doubting myself until Phil articulated so much better then I in wording it.

Take Care
Chris

Phil, That's something I questioned in my thread. From the Maruska drawings...the inset on top , which creates another overhang. Or flush like you mentioned, on bottom, which I also thought was the way it was built.

equatorstudy_zpsd699e604.jpg

You're right, I have also been rethinking the extra overhang going off of this Chronicles pic.

IMG_20130217_171926_zpsa15308c5.jpg

That small tab of plastic is the overhang of the escape pod area side wall. It makes an appearance in the bottom pic.

The only overhangs are the curved hull and plating. As long as the Marder squares that sit on the Matilda skirt don't surpass the length of that small tab (which I am guessing is about 0.4"), we should be good Dave. Hope that makes sense!

110_1055_zps764e1f8b.jpg

Joe

Hey Dave, now you've mentioned beer, I'm...as I write...just about to get on a plane to maryland..:cool..:D

See you soon..

Phil

Okay...back on this after almost a year. Working almost every day for the past year has really cramped my building! LOL!! And I had to get knee surgery just to get some time to get back on this! Actually, I have been working very little on this since my last post, but it really hasn't been much to post. But being home these past 3 weeks HAS afforded me some time to get things accomplished.

First some pics of work from the past year. Among a few other things, I made a poster board template for my hull skins. I added to them here and there while trying to figure out the individual shapes and sizes.

Here are the finished temp-templates on the hull.

And with the docking tunnels added.

And the templates with my "hopefully" master hull templates again in poster board.

And now the most recent work...I've temped in my sidewalls and some of my support structure. You'll see that I'm back on the 1/2" inset of the hull sidewalls. Since my last posts, I've done a lot of looking at reference photos...photos that I didn't have earlier, and I'm thoroughly convinced that the original SS model had the sidewalls inset. There are a couple of Chronicles photos that I was able to enhance that I'm convinced show the inset on the model being built before the hull plating was put on. Additionally, some of the reference photos that I've been able to look at have convinced me that this is the case. So...whether I'm right or wrong, this is what I've decided to go with. Am I 100% convinced? Nope. But I AM 99.5% convinced. So that extra .5% hanging out there is why you see all of the blue painters tape! :lol

BTW...the book on the table is not mine. It's my 13-year old daughter's. REALLY!! :)

I decided to go with square tubing for the inner bracing for a number of reasons. First, it has more surface area to cement to the flat hull halves which should give me better stability. The tubing is exactly 1" as well, so I've decided to use them also for my inner mandible walls. If it doesn't work, then I'll just attach my kit parts to a very thin sheet of styrene and attach that. I'll use some metal corner brackets at the joints to firm them up since they're the weakest part. Also, I'm not going to mount this like ILM did for filming...I'm going to build some landing gear for display.

For those wondering...yes, I'm building this on my kitchen table. It sucks, but I have no other place. :(

Here are some close ups of what I've done with the mandibles. The mandible well walls are 1.25" PVC pipe. They fit very snugly between the sidewalls and the square tubing, but I decided to give them a little wiggle room just in case, hence the small areas cut out of the square tubes.

And that's about where I am as of today. Still a lot of stuff to do. I think I'm going to try and tackle the cockpit tube next. Anyone have any tips/suggestions for cutting that? I've got most of my kit parts cut and those that are large enough will get molded. I'm just waiting for some clay to show up to start making my molds and casting the resin copies. Being on crutches and not able to just get up and drive somewhere to get the right clay is beyond frustrating. Tried to have my wife get it, but...:lol

As always, thanks for looking...I'm going to try my best to keep the updates coming regularly from now on!

-Dave

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back