Sculpting bust help?

smellyscot

Hey all, me again.
Sorry to be a pain but as I go through all these amazing pics, I see the busts that the sculpts sit on. Where do I get one with the head and shoulders. Currently, I have a basic head to sculpt off. It does the job, but I am finding it hard to locate one online (unless I order from monster makers). As I am in the UK, it gets very expensive to get one shipped to me.
Can I do my own? What would I need. I have alginate so with help, I can cast myself I suppose. What about casting it, what would be the best product to use to make a bust i can use for sculpting time and time again?

Thanks

Scott

Just do a live cast of your head with alga safe and plaster wraps. Then pour plaster into the mold. Gonna need another set of hands... or two. Once you have a plaster head make a new mold then make your bust out of foam. Light weight and cheap :)

If you aren't making a skin tight mask then the alginate is just unnecessary(it is just to pick up detail), if you are looking to cut down on costs. All you really need is the mod roc or plaster wraps. Then you can do the whole top half of your torso and cast in whatever you like as a waste mold. Just remember to cover your hair or put lots of vaseline in it so it doesn't get stuck in the plaster.

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have some alginate, though probably not enough. Will get some more and get on it.
I had a look at the armatures on the above link Viking, that is near to what I currently own but I wouldn't mind a full head and shoulder bust to work from.
:)

Once you find a couple of folks to help you(ie: do all the work), sit down with them and watch a video on casting. Then, get everything ready-bad news to have to run and get something in the middle of the casting.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back