COMPLETE - Sailor Moon Luna Human Transformation - "Princess Kaguya"

Nynxy

As well as a huge Disney fan I am also a huge Sailor Moon fan (I own all the dvds including the live action series and the newly released manga.. I might post a pic of these later)

One of my favourite scenes is when Sailor Moon gives Luna the ability to transform into a human for a night as Princess Kaguya.

photo.php
tumblr_m7mtliukod1qlj9wu.jpg

I have 23 days to complete this for Oz Comic Con Adelaide.

My wig is an Eowyn in Dark Purple from Arda Wigs (HIGHLY recommend their wigs) and I have bought some extra wefts to add length and to assist in making the double odangos.

20821-wig-wefts-eowyn-dark-purple-arda-wigs.jpg

I have chosen a dance satin for the yellow dress and black organza for the underskirt.

20823-yellow-dance-satin-black-organza.jpg

As it is a style of dress I haven't done before I have done a mock up to make sure I had the right sizing. I used some left over cotton with the same stretch as the satin. I think it fits well and allows for movement. I will be making the straps using ribbon.

20824-mock-dress.jpg

I have now cut out my satin for the dress and will be working on styling my wig.

I think my most difficult thing to do will be finding/making her jewellery. She has a necklace, earrings and an anklet. If anyone is able to help me with these and who can get them to me before March 15th 2013 I would be forever grateful!!

In between doing all this I am teaching my 8yo to sew and she is working on her costume for the same weekend... shall be interesting doing it all and working full time.

Last edited:
Re: Sailor Moon Luna Human Transformation - "Princess Kaguya"

Started styling my wig. I'm not all that good with styling (have never really done it before apart from a quick trim to my Wasp wig) but I am giving it a go.

I added layered wefts to the sections I planned to make the "odangos". Arda Wigs have a great tutorial on adding wefts to wigs

The "odangos" aren't big enough but I suppose they will make do due to the short time frame I have to complete the costume.

The threads are visible up close but from a distance they aren't too noticeable.

Just need to add the longer wefts for length and style the waves in and the fringe.

20925-odangos-front-view.jpg
20924-side-view.jpg

I have decided to redo my odangos using styrofoam balls and wrapping the wefts around then attaching them to the wig using clips. I have finished the first one.. took me 3 hours as you can only work with small widths of wefts at a time. So 3 more to go and I will post pictures.

I have completed the first half of the dress apart from the back bow which needs to wait until I finish my underskirt so I know how much material I have left.

21123-first-half-complete-except-back-bow.jpg

The strap "bows" are from Target from the jewellery/hat section. They just clip onto the straps. Saves me making them and they work so why not :) saves a lot of time :)

I also "made" the easiest part of my costume.... the "collar"

21122-easiest-part-costume-collar-p.jpg

Onto the underskirt!!!

I have just finished my underskirt. It flows really nicely when I move so quite happy with it. Overlocker narrow hemming that much organza made my head hurt lol.

Wish I wasn't 5'1" and had the legs to pull this off better hehe

I have sports bra strap marks in the back view.

21266-front-view.jpg
21267-back-view.jpg

This is turning out really cute! Sounds like you have the wig worked out, but you may also want to look up "sock bun" on youtube. I used that for my Tron siren inspired outfit, and it was amazing how nice it looked. You get a TON of volume, it is still squishy like hair, and it stays without pins if you need it to. The bows on the straps are perfect, great find!

This is turning out really cute! Sounds like you have the wig worked out, but you may also want to look up "sock bun" on youtube. I used that for my Tron siren inspired outfit, and it was amazing how nice it looked. You get a TON of volume, it is still squishy like hair, and it stays without pins if you need it to. The bows on the straps are perfect, great find!

I found this tutorial on youtube for a Sailor Moon wig but instead of attaching onto a pony stub I just sewed mine on. I think they came out fantastic. It is time consuming and I have only managed to do 2.

21282-first-odango-attached.jpg
21283-first-odango-attached-side-view.jpg

21284-second-odango-attached.jpg
21285-second-odango-attached-side-view.jpg

Tomorrow is a public holiday (Thank you Adelaide Cup) so I will be focusing on a couple of my daughter's costumes which she will be wearing next weekend and working on the wig at night.

I still have to attach the longer wefts as the wig isn't quite long enough then style the waves into it.

6 days and counting till the con... Panic mode has been officially reached!

ALL ODANGOS COMPLETE!!!

21331-finished-odangos-front-view.jpg
21332-finished-odangos-back-view.jpg

I still need to add the longer wefts and style it.

I have also made my earrings, anklet and brow moon.

21333-jewellery.jpg
21334-earring.jpg

21335-brow-moon.jpg
21336-anklet.jpg

So after my long wefts tangling I gave up and just kept it shorter and the waves didn't hold. I also made my necklace pendant from foam.

and voila... Luna!!

21627-close-up-taken-my-daughter.jpg

21628-luna.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back